DM-Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Archives

Hey guys, here's my latest map that I've been working on and testing with friends for the past few days, DM-Archives. The setting is (currently) Some sort of mountaintop data center or library of some kind.

The gameplay is focused around three "hubs" on the map, where different upgrades will spawn:

The central Hub in the "Download Center", which has a Udamage.

The Exterior hub in "Shipping & Receiving", which has a shield belt.

And the Hub in the "Data Stacks", which has an invisibility.

Other than that, hallways of various sizes connect the rooms, and a (currently not totally finished) set of air ducts allows people to move between these areas in multiple different ways.

Here's the Functional PAK File: https://www.mediafire.com/?hhw60jvfoc59732

Here's the one with the cool (not-multiplayer-functional) semi-random upgrade spawning: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s0...wsNoEditor.zip

UPDATE 1:

Re-did the "Download center" to have a bit of a better flow, and improved its geometry. I also moved some items around a bit. Flak cannon is no longer in the deadly room, thighpads are in there instead. Replaced flak cannon by the "Datastacks" with a helmet, added a bio-rifle between the link gun and the thighpads. Also did some visual changes. Lighting is still WIP.

UPDATE 2:

Improved the lighting in the "Download center" and the "Datastacks" A fair bit. Also added a vent from the "Download center" to the "datastacks" to help improve flow, and give an alternate route.

UPDATE 3:

Fixed most of the issues with lighting. Still a few problems though.

UPDATE 4:
    Thanks to the devs for doing their awesome review! Got some great feedback, and I've implemented as much as I can. I've added a few new spawns, shuffled the weapons around a little bit, played with the lighting around that one lift a little, moved the upgrades around (positions mentioned in the above post have been changed, so look there for what's where). Other than that, It has a new map icon, and it has a bunch of decals all over the place, because they look cool, and the map was feeling kinda dry. Decals are temporary until I start meshing and stuff, which may not be for a while. Added blocking volumes in hallways and around annoying things that were causing snagging, movement should be much smoother now. Also updated the OP with completely new pictures (not relevant to the map, and probably obvious anyway)!

UPDATE 5: Just a polish update really. Added new materials for all the lights, personally I like 'em, but if you guys don't I can take 'em off.

UPDATE 6: Two versions this time, one with and one without the gimmick I'm working on for this map. For some reason the gimmick doesn't like multiplayer servers, so there are two versions atm. If someone could help me figure out why it's not working with servers that'd be great...

I'm going to be updating this map semi-frequently, as I still need to work on lighting and I need to re-do the central hub a bit. Other than that there's just a bit of detailing I need to do, but it's definitely in a playable state now. Feedback is most welcome!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Darksteel; 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM.
    My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Looks good and with well-defined visual style!

Comment

Not bad but just do your other maps done that enhances

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
        Not bad but just do your other maps done that enhances
        I'm sorry, can you rephrase that? I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say...

Comment

I gave it a shot, visually i can picture what you're going for and can't wait to see the final product. As far as gameplay goes, I thought the map was quite big. The outside area is kind of out of the way, and the players don't really go there unless they want the Udamage. So most of the time it will be empty and relatively easy to get the Udamage. Then by the time you get back to the action you're halfway through the 30 second double damage. I would consider replacing the belt with the Udamage. Also there are a few spawns in the circular room but only one accessible weapon - the flak, and even that is almost a trap. I don't think a necessity like a weapon should be difficult to get- if it is then someone can "control" the flak area and easily pick off anyone that spawns in that room since it's pistol vs flak. Same with the other weapons, the general placement was unusual and I found myself searching for weapons.

And I'm not sure if you intended this, but you can jump up to the rocket ledge from below if you try hard enough. I ran into this in my map, a 200 unit high ledge can just be hopped onto. Bump it up to 250 if you didn't intend for players to access it that easily.

I like it so far! Good luck
          DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
            I gave it a shot, visually i can picture what you're going for and can't wait to see the final product. As far as gameplay goes, I thought the map was quite big. The outside area is kind of out of the way, and the players don't really go there unless they want the Udamage. So most of the time it will be empty and relatively easy to get the Udamage. Then by the time you get back to the action you're halfway through the 30 second double damage. I would consider replacing the belt with the Udamage. Also there are a few spawns in the circular room but only one accessible weapon - the flak, and even that is almost a trap. I don't think a necessity like a weapon should be difficult to get- if it is then someone can "control" the flak area and easily pick off anyone that spawns in that room since it's pistol vs flak. Same with the other weapons, the general placement was unusual and I found myself searching for weapons.

And I'm not sure if you intended this, but you can jump up to the rocket ledge from below if you try hard enough. I ran into this in my map, a 200 unit high ledge can just be hopped onto. Bump it up to 250 if you didn't intend for players to access it that easily.

I like it so far! Good luck
            yeah, i'm re-doing the whole room. Just to ask though, How many people/bots were you playing with? Because when Me and 5-7 other play we tend to use all of the map for the most part...

Comment

Looking good. Nice.

Comment

Update, in OP.

Comment

New Update, in OP.

Also, I am having a bit of an issue with lighting the map. Does anyone know how to fix the lighting, where a surface will just become completely black, rather than lit up? You can see it on the light on the left side in the picture below, the light is a direct copy of the one on the right, just rotated 180 degrees (alcove and all).

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Darksteel; 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksteel View Post
                    New Update, in OP.

Also, I am having a bit of an issue with lighting the map. Does anyone know how to fix the lighting, where a surface will just become completely black, rather than lit up? You can see it on the light on the left side in the picture below, the light is a direct copy of the one on the right, just rotated 180 degrees (alcove and all).
                    Is it a reflective surface? There are issues with reflections on lower settings that Epic intends to fix. If you are using reflective materials make sure you have a postprocessing volume and some reflectionspheres in the map too.

Otherwise if you don't already have them, try adding a skylight, a directional light and a lightingimportance volume. That'll brighten everything up and make the lighting look more natural.

If none of that helps, try just deleting the light and replacing it with a new one (not a copy). Sometimes that's all it takes!

Oh you copied and rotated the brush... That's probably the problem. I've had similar strange problems with copied brushes before. Especially with copies that were rotated, vertex, face or edge edited. Fixing those issues required deleting the problem brush and replacing it with a new one (again, NOT a copy, a new brush).
                    Last edited by MoxNix; 03-23-2015, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I've already got all of those things, am running it on epic, and don't have postprocessing in yet. I'll try deleting it though, see if it helps. Thanks!

Comment

Nope, didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksteel View Post
                          Nope, didn't help.
                          Did you just delete the light or did you try deleting and making a NEW brush (not a copy, that's really important) too?

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                            Did you just delete the light or did you try deleting and making a NEW brush (not a copy, that's really important) too?
                            No, I just deleted the light, should I delete the brush as well?

Comment

For better lighting result, set lightmap quality of all surfaces down to 16 or even 8 (looks like it is a 1 pixel resolution, in units, for a shadow maps). If this value is high lightmaps and casted static shadows become ugly and even incorrect sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X