This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Campgrounds

Alright, so I've seen a couple of folks asking for this iconic map (myself included), so I took it upon myself to have an attempt.

The current map is just a bsp port from the DM-Campgrounds2004-G1E map, painted over, and rescaled so it fits UT4's measurements. (1meter = 50uu in 2k4 according to beyondunreal and 1 uu = 1 cm in UT4 according to Entropy, therefore conversion from 2k4 to UT4 is 2x for anyone interested)
    Unfortunatelly it's a subtractive map inside it's bounding box, however.

Jumppads, some meshed stairs, spawnpoints, pickups and weapons had to be placed by hand, as they get lost in the conversion process. I've tried to mimic the original as close as I could, might not be 100% identical. The textures are also placeholders, just so the map isn't a huge checkerboard - I used what I thought that was appealing, although I am not certain if it's valid gameplay-wise.

Lights also had to be fairly boosted in intensity (around 3 times the amount of the initial conversion), but the map is still fairly dark. Clearly, this is my first attempt at tinkering with mapping, so I am not an expert on anything (especially lighting).
    EDIT: With the help of some folks over at the IRC, the map's indirect lighting has been boosted 5 times more.

If anyone wishes to take the bsp, to apply any changes or mesh it, feel free to ask for the *.umap file. I could only do so much in the limited free time I have currently.

Version Beta01:
    - Added blocking volumes.
    - Added level information, description and screenshot.
    - Added music. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBhe4NZvGuk)
    - Switched to version scheme so users can tell if they are using the latest version of the map.

Version Beta02:
    -Slightly reduced overal scale.
    -Added an experimental sphere reflection capture, to slightly help the metal surfaces look more like metal.
    -Replaced the black and yellow caution stripes with a more neutral tech panel material.
    -Toned music's volume slightly lower, edited the *.wav so it has a subtle fade out, music is now properly looping.

Version Beta03:
    -Fixed some slight geometry errors that were present even in UT2k4's version.
    -Slightly toned down the emissive paint in the pillar tops.
    -Split reflection capture to multiple spheres. (However due to the subtractive style of the map, alot of reflections are passing through the floor unfortunatelly. Possible solution through meshing the map)
    -Greatly increased the indirect lighting quality.
    -Changed some of the materials to improve aesthetics of the map, and made a pass to eliminate any missing paint on surfaces.
    -Mostly fixed the skybox bleeding through the grates on the floor, fixed the staircase slime/lava pit to be visible.
    -Jumppads and their surrounding light are now blue.
    -Music volume reduced by an additional 20%.
    -Updated map screenshot.

Download pak: https://ut.rushbase.net/Frostbyte/DM...rounds-b03.pak

PS: I know that Zulua is making the Intel version of the map, and probably it's going to be alot better in quality terms.
    Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 04-06-2015, 07:58 AM.
    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
    > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
    > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

bot's stay still, well done

Comment

I really want to play this on TDM or BTA (Clan Arena).

Really good job, someone need to do it.

Comment

Great job so far!!!
        I will try it today and I'll come back with feedback.

Comment

Wow great pick! I hope in the end it will look like original DM-Campgrounds2004-G1E!

Comment

Good job so far.

Comment

The jump to sniper seems very hard to make, even with wallslide. Maybe I wasn't doing it correctly. Is that intentional?

Nice job so far

Comment

I've only got a minor cosmetic feedback (although to me sticks out like a sore thumb) is the yellow-black striped stickers at the pillars I'd make the black stripes like ~3x as thick as they are currently so it actually looks like that "caution" label. I'd possibly also make the vertical height of that label slightly bit narrower but only a tiny bit if so.
                Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-30-2015, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                  I've only got a minor cosmetic feedback (although to me sticks out like a sore thumb) is the yellow-black striped stickers at the pillars I'd make the black stripes like ~3x as thick as they are currently so it actually looks like that "caution" label. I'd possibly also make the vertical height of that label slightly bit narrower but only a tiny bit if so.
                  Yeah, I was a bit sceptical about that texture myself. Unfortunatelly there is no material with different width on the stripes (unless there is a way to edit it), because at this point I merely browse the materials and plaster anything that "clicks" to me, on the surfaces. I might change that in a future version, as I see that I have to modify some things that I've kinda messed up.

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                  The jump to sniper seems very hard to make, even with wallslide. Maybe I wasn't doing it correctly. Is that intentional?

Nice job so far
                  You should not be able to do bridge2rail without dodge-jump. If you were able to do it with a single dodge or by sliding/walldodging, the distance/scale would have to be really small. (to the point that you'd be hitting your head each time you tried to jump under the bridge)

EDIT: New version b02 is up, changelog in the first post.
                  Last edited by FrostbyteGR; 03-30-2015, 08:19 AM.
                  > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

New version Beta03, changelog in the first post.

As a notice, I tried to mesh the map and failed miserably. It's apparent that meshes have to be custom and designed for the specific map, elsewise they don't exactly fit no matter how much you fiddle with them. I don't have any 3D modeling skills, so I don't see myself ever advancing from this basic BSP layout. However, if anyone wishes to pick up on the project and mesh it, I'm more than happy to share the resources which this map currently consists of.
                    I don't believe that I'm going to make any significant alterations besides tweaking a paintjob here and there, therefore the BSP and my work on it, is considered complete. Time for me to port other stuff, since this one came out good and it's absolutelly playable.
                    > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Where do I put map again? I tried here:
                      C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks

But I don't see the map in the list

Comment

Due to a bug (or rather the lack of the complete update) in this week's client, you can only "open" the map through the console.
                        Just do: open DM-Campgrounds-b03
                        > FreezeTag [Blueprint]

Comment

Originally posted by FrostbyteGR View Post
                          Due to a bug (or rather the lack of the complete update) in this week's client, you can only "open" the map through the console.
                          Just do: open DM-Campgrounds-b03
                          Thanks, that explains alot!

Map looks a nice wip and scale fits nice, will you make it look like G1E? Or original Quake style?

Also, you need something between when you jump from bridge to sniper, its impossible atm. Music is nice ^^

Comment

Hey Dude, great work on Campgrounds so far..i rly like it and its fun to play in insta again

BUT can u do us a favour and turn that super loud music off? its sooo loud and it cant be turn off or u cant make it quiter, would be great if u can do it dude.
                            Cause u cant hear anything..no jumppads or steps etc.
                            thx

Comment

hi FrostbyteGR! well done - plays nice and fluent!
                              i think shrinking the whole map down to 90% or 95% of it current size would make it even more fluent...

the doorways are way to huge i feel like a little dwarf
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	dwarfx0yjv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	337633

Comment

Working...
                              X