DM-Beginner_Map_01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Beginner_Map_01

I've been messing around with the Editor for UT4 since I started playing the pre-alpha a little lately. This is a lot easier compared to UT3's Editor (I had to watch the video tutorials that came with the Special Edition) and it's really fun going through the process of creating levels. Other than doing the tutorials for UT3's Editor, I would consider this my very first map ever that I've worked on about two or three hours a day over the course of a week.

Now for the map itself: At first I wanted to make a re-creation of Lockout from Halo 2 as I thought it would work well with the UT engine and gameplay. As I started and blocked out more of the map, I ended up modifying parts of the level to the point of it being it's own iteration. I'm not sure if I want to make it an indoor level where all the paths are "tunnels" or to make it out-door like it is now with the potential to fall off.

Feel free to leave feedback and let me know what I can change!

For pictures go here (Imgur album), from newest pictures at the top, down to oldest at the bottom.

Downloads, latest is on top:
    Files are WinRAR archives. Extract the folders to \Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\MyContent
    Aug 26th, 2015 Build *LATEST*
    Mar 30th, 2015 Build
    Mar 27th, 2015 Build

Map Name: DM-Beginner_Map_01
    Author: Sean "DigBickerson" Dickerson
    Players: 2-6, 8 for TDM

Notes about the map:
    - Name is not final.
    - Map layout (BSP) is not final.
    - Weapon placement is not final.
    - Health, armor and ammo placement is not final.
    - Lighting is not final.
    - Navmesh is basic so bots won't explore too much.
    - Final is not final.

What needs to be done:
    - Map balancing for weapons, spawning, health, items, and BSP placement.
    - Static meshes and decorations.
    - Better/more lighting.
    - Basic art pass and deciding on the theme of the map.
    - A name for this map.

Updates about latest build:
    - Aug 26th, 2015 Build
    - Lighting slightly adjusted in darker areas.
    - More BSP arrangements such as adding walls and platforms.

Last edited by DigBickerson; 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM. Reason: Added new map build and screenshots added.

New build has been uploaded and updated screenshots were edited in the original post.

March 30th, 2015 build update notes:
    - Lighting improved to make shadows not too dark.
    - Arranged weapons, pickups, and health placement for balance. Placement is still tentative and not final.
    - Small modifications to BSP for size, scale etc. BSP layout is not final.
    - Jump Pads have been replaced with the standard yellow UT jump pads with correct particles.
    - Jump Pads have restricted movement for about 80% of the jump time.

Comment

looks pretty good

Comment

looks very interesting so far, i can see the potential for some nice fun gameplay, keep at it.
        Join the community Facebook page
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

For those that have played it, does the map work well as an outdoor map with falling deaths or would you rather see it be an indoor arena? I'm trying to have a mixture of indoor/outdoor sections to try to make the sniper rifle on this map a bit more balanced.

Also, do the falling deaths seem to occur too much? Should I add small walls in certain areas?

Thanks for those that replied with feedback, really encourages me to work on this more (:

Edit: Just updated with a new build of the map! Go to the first post to download it and try it out!

Updates about latest build:
          - Aug 26th, 2015 Build
          - Lighting slightly adjusted in darker areas.
          - More BSP arrangements such as adding walls and platforms.
          Last edited by DigBickerson; 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X