CTF-FragBoxArena-alpha01

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] CTF-FragBoxArena-alpha01

Here is my first map for UT4. The level is a CTF Arena style map that takes from the Thorns style maps. However I have tried to bring the map into a new light with the UT4 engine and its capabilities. Im also an avid CTF Instagibber so my maps always have that in mind when designing.

Design: I really liked the UT99 style of theme of maps being purpose built arenas. You should feel like the level could actually be a level that was designed for battles full of explosions and designed for death and destruction. Every aspect of a group of people battling to the death should be incorporated into the map. Instead of players just randomly re-appearing on the map, ive added spawn rooms with spawn chambers. Ive added a fogging/fog of war effect, so if you think about what would happen in a room full of 10 people constantly shooting, blowing up rockets and everything else, a ton of smoke would be generated. The longer the map is played the thicker the fog gets, eventually it gets too thick and an ventilation system will automatically activate to clear out the fog, but be careful in the ventilation ducts as when the fans are on they can suck and chop you up. I also really like the idea of constantly changing maps, so I have included light configurations that change as the map goes on, going from bright and clear to dark and foggy arena and everything in between. The idea being when the map gets dark, there are better places to be that you can use as cover. To constantly change the approach one uses in the game.

Future: The level still needs a lot of work. A lot of elements are missing and meshes are not included at this time. In the future Ive tossing around the idea of a bottom "blood pit". The idea being that all the blood from constantly killing people needs to go somewhere, i want to incorporate drains into the floor that drip blood into a lower sewer type space. I still need to add the physical fans and work on the gravity to pull players from all parts of the vents and not just the center. More animated and dynamic respawns, I want to show a processes of players being respawned beyond magic re-appearing. When you respawn the first few seconds should be blurry or disorientating, you were just blown up. Id also like to incorporate an audience and spectator aspect along the 2nd level wall, behind a glass. Set it up so when you cap a flag, instead of the normal sound, you hear a cheering crowd. Obviously the map is short a lot of finer details, but the overall flow is there.

So please, give it a whirl and let me know what you think!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/baker-netwo...wsNoEditor.pak

Last edited by PayBack; 03-29-2015, 08:48 PM.
    PayBack
    Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
    Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
    UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
    UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

I'm digging the dark arena concept. The blood pit should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefeater605 View Post
      I'm digging the dark arena concept. The blood pit should be interesting.
      Thanks, the blood pit would be more of a way of travel, similar to the ventilation ducts above.
      PayBack
      Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
      UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
      UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Did no one try my level?!?!
        PayBack

Comment

Working...
        X