No announcement yet.

DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

Hi.
    This is the very first map that I've ever made, therefore it may not look so good. I was always a huge fan of original DM-Plunge and thought that it might be a good idea to try and recreate it in UE4. Now, I don't like direct remakes so this won't be 1:1 recreation of the original, more like my take on it.
    It started as UE4 test/experiment, but then I decided to implement it into an actual game. Once I tried that I've noticed few issues with it, mainly that the new Unreal is much faster, making it difficult to play (I end up killing myself quite often). Because of that it also feel small, even though it was changed 2 times already (I'm trying to scale it up by 1 now and see how it works). I guess that increase in speed will affect all of the maps tht are being reamade. Deck16Test is preaty tough for me right now too and it suffers from the same speed increase (I keep falling into the acid pit, whreas in the original it barely happened).
    I've decided to start this thread, so that maybe more people will have cool ideas of how to improve this map to make it playable in new UT.

As you will notice it's very early version, it has basic colors and bright lights to make it clear for the time being.
    I added some 'force fields' instead of walls (will change it for the fence later on - like the one in Jurassic Park ). Some of the decks are stuck in the air, and it's ok, I'll try to add 'engines' so it will look as it 'hovers' in place.
    Floors are experimental, I thought that it may look cool, but it may be too distracting (I may dim it down later on, or remove completely).
    All platforms look pretty simple, but I'll try to make it look more as an oil riggs or something similar.
    Finally, the biggest challange was to make appropriate setting for this map. I litterally tried everything, from stormy ocean, through mid day fields to this foggy planet (I was experimenting with rain too, but decided to remove it).

At the moment I'm worried about balancing this map, because it seems too difficult for this new UT. I hope that it will still be relevant in it, because I loved it back in the day. If I find a way and finish it then I'll try to move on to remaking Tokara Forest (another favourite map).

I you have any ideas/suggestions feel free to post it, I'll try to answer it whenever I'll have a chance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jonzie23; 10-07-2015, 06:35 PM. Reason: Update #4
    DM-Temple of the Sun

Well, the map gameplay is very famous and it's good, just work and get practice with unreal editor, so you can make a better look
    good job

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed that it's difficult to recreate this gameplay without double-jump and with this new speed. Will do my best though
      DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Update #1

Finally I've managed to scale this map up. It feels much better and more fluid now.
        I've decided to put together my very first build, so that I can get some feedback (hopefully). I had to do it due to the lack of time (I still have few months of Uni left :/).
        Now, few things I would like to say first:
        1. I won't make it look like the original Plunge, because I don't like 1:1 remakes, because gameplay is different (higher tempo + lack of double-jump), and because new Unreal Engine allows for much more.
        2. It looks really simplistic, I haven't started building custom meshes yet, I want it to be playable first.
        3. Colours are provisional, I wanted to make everythig clear for the time being. Later I'll try to make it look more natural.
        4. Gravity is work in progress, player can still get hurt if jump from really high ground.
        5. I'm still thinking what to do with 3 main platforms, what their main theme should be. I'm choosing between oil rigs, hovering platforms (with engines attached to it) or space stations (would have to change the setting).
        6. I named it Plunge 1.5, because I still believe that there will be someone who'll create Plunge 2.0/remake of the original one day.

And finally, big thank you to the authors of the original Plunge map, Lee Perry and Alan Willard, it's still one of my favourite maps.

Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...XM&usp=sharing
        DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Update #2

Firstly, big thank you to NATO_chrisjm for awesome BSP tutorial, it helped me a lot

It's just some small update before my exams at uni. Map start to be playable (finally). Thanks to barriers I've added it's not as punishing, and as a side effect it allows for wall jumps (good substitute for double jump). I slowly move closer towards my goal at making it more realistic instead of what it was. There's still tons of work to do, and a lot of balancing.
          Lamps in corridors should be smaller I guess, as they might be distracting (I left them like that to keep platforms different from each other for the time being).
          I've added weapon shields to 'close' the entrance to the platforms (it's just cosmetic so that it tells player that he enters high gravity area inside).
          As mentied above, there's high gravity area inside of the platforms. It plays much better, and allow for nice change of pace.

As usually, feel free to leave some comments, and I'll try to reply to all in my spare time
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jonzie23; 05-07-2015, 10:41 PM.
          DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Update #3

Version 0.1 is now available.
            Small tweaks to lighting has been made (it's still fairly dark, will need to work on it bit more).
            Map is now playable (bots added).
            Major BSP changes has been made to make it more fluid.
            Need to add more details (especially to the large platform, because it feels empty).
            Skydome has been changed to day temporarily (easier to work with geometry).

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Pak available to download:
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...QXM&authuser=0
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jonzie23; 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM.
            DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Your Map is not Plunge this is Plunge
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Frostbite83; 05-17-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                Your Map is not Plunge this is Plunge
                Yes, I've actually explained it in my first post. Hence '1.5' in the name.
                Maybe someone else will do the original one day.
                DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Update #4

Small update before I go away for 3 weeks.

This time I focused mainly on pink platform (I've abandoned blue color, and decided to go with the original one, although I'm not a fan of pink...). Removed some of the BSPs and replaced them with simple meshes, because my PC refuse to process it.
                  I've also edited lights slightly, added new pillars to pink platform, which have some lights on them too. I've increased lights brightness in other platforms too, because it was way too dark.
                  I had to remove small bridge on pink platform for the time being, I will replace it once I'm back.
                  I'm still trying to figure out the main theme. There's too many futuristic/industrial themes out there already, and this color doesn't really suit it anyway, so I'm starting to think about presenting it as this crazy colorful dm arena, with neon logos and scoreboard floating above it (basically what UT2003 was about, futuristic sport). Time will tell where I'll get with it.
                  Gameplay wise I think that it's ok, I can only test it with bots, and the interest in this map is lower than I was expacting, therefore I'm doing my best to make it fun and playable, but can't guarantee that anyone else will like it :/ Currently I've changed most of the jump pads, so that the gameplay is faster, I want to test it for a while and see if it suits UT4 better.
                  Since most of my geometry is in place now I've got back to space/night theme. I'm still considering placing an ocean below the platforms, but it won't be my main focus anytime soon.

And finally I wanted to do something different for the time being and decided to create some simple meshes for the jump pads in my level (I can't stand the standard ones, big sorry to whoever created them). I'm not an artist so it's nothing fancy, but it was fun and refreshing to do anyway.

As usually, if anyone's interested/have some ideas where I should go with this level, please feel free to share it here. I will try to answer as soon as I'll be available again

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...QXM&authuser=0
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jonzie23; 06-01-2015, 11:07 PM.
                  DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

It's been a while. I don't have as much time as before, but managed to do some small update. Just trying to do different things with this map for fun, and see what works best. Probably will try to do bridge next.
                    Attached Files
                    DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

I can't believe you've had so few feedback all this time.

Man, I just love the original Plunge and yes I'm excited about your version of it. I've downloaded your most recent PAK, but it's not compatible with the current build.

Judging just by the images, I think you're of to a good start. For me, the defining features of Plunge are odd shaped platforms for Z-axis combat, low gravity with jumppads over long distances, and most of all... Neon. Lots. Of. Neon.

I hope you'll manage to cook up a new PAK so I can properly test it and give more feedback. Keep it up!

Comment

right to the point, basalt ....
                        from pics, i have the feeling that the plattforms might be too large in size, preventing good z action. Probably you may decide to shirnk them (but keep them neon )

Comment

Originally posted by Basalt View Post
                          I can't believe you've had so few feedback all this time.

Man, I just love the original Plunge and yes I'm excited about your version of it. I've downloaded your most recent PAK, but it's not compatible with the current build.

Judging just by the images, I think you're of to a good start. For me, the defining features of Plunge are odd shaped platforms for Z-axis combat, low gravity with jumppads over long distances, and most of all... Neon. Lots. Of. Neon.

I hope you'll manage to cook up a new PAK so I can properly test it and give more feedback. Keep it up!
                          Wow, I didn't expect anyone to check it out. I'm using it now more as a place where I can check my progress, as you can judge by the pictures.

Yeah, I didn't update PAK in a while, since no one is playing it anyway. In fact I wanted to quit on it, but found some great texturing tutorials and had to test it on my map. I noticed that people are not interested when map isn't pretty, and they don't like remakes that change too much. Not that long ago I saw Sidney from Epic arguing with someone that there's no point remaking a map exactly as it was before. And I agree with him. I'll try to keep the gameplay similar (especially low gravity), but it'll look differently (theme wise, geometry is similar more or less). And for obvious reasons I had to change couple of things, because UT4 plays differently. What's funny is that someone gave me 5 stars. I thought that I did something right, but still not a word of feedback :/
                          I'll try to cook something over this weekend, although I'm not promising anything, because I've changed quite a few things to the gameplay now (for testing purposes). It's much faster, jum pads allow for shorter jumps etc. Nothing that can't be reversed easily.

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
                          right to the point, basalt ....
                          from pics, i have the feeling that the plattforms might be too large in size, preventing good z action. Probably you may decide to shirnk them (but keep them neon )
                          Hey. I've tried to keep it as it was originally, but after my tests I decided to change few things. The gameplay is much faster now, so the platforms have to be a little bit bigger, otherwise you could easily one jump from one side to the other and fall from the platform. Also there's no double jump now, so platforms are lower, but at least you can use ledges to do it (kind of). Also entrances to lower levels had to be bigger, because in the original I liked to jump there while walking backwards, and in UT4 with map's original size it was impossible.
                          I've also applied normal gravity to lower levels, just to see how it'll affect the gameplay.

Anyways, thank you guys for some feedback. I'll definitely try to release new build by the end of this weekend, so feel free to check it and comment.
                          Last edited by jonzie23; 08-13-2015, 02:42 PM.
                          DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

I'm surprised about the lack of feedback too. Plunge is one of my favourite maps, and I'd really really love to see it in UT4.

From the screens it looks promising already, reminds of the original, but doesn't strive to be a clone, I like that. Once you can package a working version I'll happily test it and provide some feedback

Comment

Ok. I uploaded new build here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...GlERDZ3Y2lwQXM

The map is in very rough shape at the moment, I fixed jump pads, but unfortunately bots aren't as smart as they were in previous builds for some reason (e.g. completely ignore middle section and quickly run out of ammo). I'll try to fix it in the future, for now I advise anyone who'll play it to set difficulty at Skilled level and amount of players to 10.

Feel free to try it and let me know what you think
                              DM-Temple of the Sun

Comment

Working...
                              X