DM-Nitro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Nitro

A remake of an old favorite TDM map DM-Nitro.

Updated 12-Feb-2016 new version (V05)

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Ni...wsNoEditor.pak

Server Info:

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTDMGameMode]
    MapRotation=/Game/Maps/DM-Nitro-V05

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTBaseGameMode]
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="DM-Nitro-V05-WindowsNoEditor",PackageURLProtocol="https",PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Nitro-V05-WindowsNoEditor.pak",PackageChecksum="0ea2a25dadfd3795ab95a194abe350fc")

Changes:

- Started the process of meshing the map. The link / 100 armor room in the screenshot below is mostly meshed now. Meshing the rest of the map is coming along nicely but still has a long ways to go.

- Reverted item placement back to the original. Shield, amp, 100 armor and most weapons are back in the same places they were in the orginal UT99 map.

Then from there the following item placement changes were made

- Moved Flak to where it's been the last couple versions
    - Placed a Keg in the original Flak basement room.
    - Moved shock rifle to where it was in the previous version. Closer to the "weak side" link / 100 armor room.
    - Moved bio rifle to where shock was originally.
    - Added a 2nd shock rifle to where bio was.
    - Added a 2nd rocket launcher to the platform below the big waterfall in the main room. Roughly where the original map had 5 vials.

Additional Notes:

The layout for this map is based on Ebolt's original DM-Nitro for UT99.

Nitro was a fairly large, popular custom map for UT99, one of the very few custom maps (in fact the only TDM map I'm aware of) that made it onto competitive tournament map lists.

If Ebolt is still around and plans on remaking Nitro himself, please have him contact me here and I'll stop working on this version.

I think it plays really well in duel too, assuming of course you don't use amp or keg.

Screenshots (V05)

Attached Files
    Last edited by MoxNix; 02-12-2016, 05:30 PM.

He's lead designer for Killzone now, pretty sick how that turned out

Looking forward to trying this

Comment

Screenshot(s) please.

Comment

Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
        Screenshot(s) please.
        Not until I have time to do some more with lighting and textures. Right now they're both very basic, it doesn't look good enough to post screenies yet, but it should play well. Maybe in a day or three.

If you just want an idea of what it looks like there is an old completely untextured screenshot of it near the end of my DM-Malevolence thread here: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...olence-for-UT4
        Last edited by MoxNix; 04-01-2015, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post

Awesome, let me know what you think, especially about the scaling. The time to fix scaling problems is now, before I do too much else with it.

Comment

Scaling looks spot on man, nice job

Comment

Moxnix how is the progress?

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
                Moxnix how is the progress?
                Waiting on feedback and assets. I think the scale is good and nuxx agrees but nobody else is saying anything. It'd be really nice to hear from anyone who's played some TDM on it.

Comment

Post some screenshots ... and you'll get some feedback.

Most people are to lazy to dl anything. Besides that: it's common to post screenshots, no matter how ****ty they might look. Head over to any feedback-forum and post a thread without screenshots ... noone will bother clicking your link.
                  If you see me grinning, it's a disguise.
                  If you see me grinning, don't trust my lies.
                  When the ink dries, we'll have another masterpiece.
                  When the drink dies, we'll have another restless sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by milb View Post

Most people are to lazy to dl anything. Besides that: it's common to post screenshots, no matter how ****ty they might look. Head over to any feedback-forum and post a thread without screenshots ... noone will bother clicking your link.
                    I can confirm that.

Comment

New version V02 uploaded today.

https://ut.rushbase.net/MoxNix/DM-Ni...wsNoEditor.pak

Basically the same map as far as gameplay goes but with a number of cosmetic changes to make it look better. Added a few meshes, textures and reflections. Textures are mostly just temporary placeholders but everything is textured now (no more default editor texture anywhere), lighting is just basic lighting to make the map bright enough to play and reflections are even more basic (mostly just a few large reflectionspheres at this point).

I have 3 maps in the works right now, this one, another remake (Malevolence) and an original map (Octagon). Whichever map gets the most (and more useful) feedback is likely to get worked on more too.

I'm not so sure that's correct. This map, with no screenshots, actually got more downloads (about twice as many) than any single version of the other 2 maps I have in the works (which both had screenies from the start). I don't think they looked any worse than most prototype maps here either.

Still mostly looking for feedback on scaling and gameplay (particularly in TDM) but it's far enough along to consider feedback on just about anything now.

Hmm... I think I took those screenshots on low or maybe medium settings. Oh well, they'll have to do for now.
                      Last edited by MoxNix; 04-06-2015, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Had a quick Instagib-Match and a TDM-Match in it. The overall-scaling seems to be alright, though there are some places that a narrow (especially in height). I really like that you did some trims, makes the map more readable.
                        Overall I think there could be more connectivity. The room in the middle feels kinda strange. There aren't enough ways to the higher levels of the map.
                        Also there are some dead-ends. For example the pulse-rifle. Also the flak is in a deadend. I don't know the original map, but the opportunities to get to the flak (and to get away with it) are too limited imho. I rather put a powerup in this place (chest armor?).

P.S. It's always better to post some screenshots when you're presenting a map. Sometimes there are people that download simply anything ... and sometimes noone will give a **** about a link. You never know. Also people who don't have time or the motivation to play your map can give feedback on some screenshots.

P.P.S. I attached some screenshots and did some comments on them. As I said: I don't know the original map, so maybe some of those suggestion would change the layout too much. Also I don't know if you want to do changes to the original layout at all ...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by milb; 04-06-2015, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Now that's what I like to see, lots of feedback!

Had a quick Instagib-Match and a TDM-Match in it. The overall-scaling seems to be alright, though there are some places that a narrow (especially in height). I really like that you did some trims, makes the map more readable.
                          On the height, I presume you're talking about the ramp between thigh pads and mini. That section of the map (thigh pads, shield, mini and lift) is actually really key to how the map plays so I'm reluctant to change anything there without a very good reason.

You also mentioned shield being hard to get. It's actually easier in this version than in the original since you can wall-dodge to it too now. In the original hammer jump was the only way. Not sure if you realize it or not but it's actually a fairly easy jump-wall-dodge. All you need do is wall-dodge off the wall between the lift and the belt. You don't need to lift jump (that's a lot harder), just take the lift up, take a few steps over, jump and wall-dodge.

Overall I think there could be more connectivity. The room in the middle feels kinda strange. There aren't enough ways to the higher levels of the map.
                          I think most UT4 maps are over connected and in many cases WAY over connected. It's just too easy getting around on them and especially it's too easy getting from lower levels to higher levels. I'm not going to wreck a great classic map by over connecting it, bypassing flow funnels and taking the risk out of everything.

That doesn't mean I won't consider changing the flow at all, it means I'm going to be very careful about how any changes I do make affect the way it plays. I actually have one major change in mind that I probably will make and you've given me an idea for another smaller change (more on both later).

Also there are some dead-ends. For example the pulse-rifle. Also the flak is in a deadend. I don't know the original map, but the opportunities to get to the flak (and to get away with it) are too limited imho. I rather put a powerup in this place (chest armor?).
                          I get what you mean here though neither is a true dead end. Flak is close but technically it's not quite a dead end since you can always rocket/hammer jump out of there. Actually I need to test hammer jumping out of there, I think it'll still work, but I haven't verified that yet. The thing is that particular room, with Flak in it and as a near dead end is a bit of a trap and IMO an important iconic identifying feature of the map. Consequently I'm adverse to changing it.

Link really isn't a dead end at all but I know what you mean. The flow around the link always was a bit odd, almost forced. I kind of like your idea for a ramp and doorway (though considering the thickness of the wall it'd be more like a hallway). I'll have to think about it for a while, but there's a good chance I will add something based on that idea.

P.P.S. I attached some screenshots and did some comments on them. As I said: I don't know the original map, so maybe some of those suggestion would change the layout too much. Also I don't know if you want to do changes to the original layout at all ...
                          Feedback is always appreciated, especially when it's as well thought out and presented as your's.

And yes though I am more than a bit of a purist when it comes to layout, item placement and gameplay in remakes, on this map I am willing to make some carefully considered changes to the original.

I found your screenshot with the comment about putting a powerup on the waterfall thingy over the shock rifle particularly interesting. I was actually working on a UT2k4 version of this map years ago and had done something like that in it. The waterfall thing was replaced by a chute carrying molten metal with a spout at the end dropping it into the middle of the platform below (the one with the vials on it). At the very end of the chute, right over the spout, was the amp.

It was only accessible via hammer jump or by a fairly difficult (especially when under fire) wall-dodge from the sniper ledge.

I really liked how that played, especially how it affected map control dynamics so it's very likely (almost certain) I'll wind up doing something similar again.

I'd also made several other changes to power up placement on that 2k4 version, but the rest of the changes were mostly due to differences in shield/amor in 2k4 and won't be necessary in UT4. Still I'm not adverse to juggling things around a bit.

I would however have to put something else where the amp is now... Ripper might be idea if it makes a comeback in the game, then I could leave the helmet right where it is in the old ripper spot. Or there's always Redeemer, it'd be off in TDM of course, but deemer is always fun in FFA, especially for newer, less experienced players.
                          Last edited by MoxNix; 04-06-2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I'm more a level-designer or mapper than a player. So often I don't get all those tricks to get to certain places. And I never was a big fan of the impact-hammer.

Originally posted by MoxNix
                            I think most UT4 maps are over connected and in many cases WAY over connected. It's just too easy getting around on them and especially it's too easy getting from lower levels to higher levels. I'm not going to wreck a great classic map by over connecting it, removing flow funnels and taking the risk out of everything.

That doesn't mean I won't consider changing the flow at all, it means I'm going to be very careful about how any changes I do make affect the way it plays. I actually have one major change in mind that I probably will make and you've given me an idea for another smaller change (more on both later).
                            I think I get what you're trying to say here. Getting from everywhere to everywhere isn't what it's all about. There have to be routes you have to take to get to certain items. That's more important in duel-maps than it is in TDM-maps. As I mentioned before: I don't know the original map. So my suggestions are based on other maps I know and my personal taste. If you want to stay true to the original then do so!

I get what you mean here though neither is a true dead end. Flak is close but technically it's not quite a dead end since you can always rocket/hammer jump out of there. Actually I need to test hammer jumping out of there, I think it'll still work, but I haven't verified that yet.

Link really isn't a dead end at all but I know what you mean. The flow around the link always was a bit odd, almost forced. I kind of like your idea for a ramp and doorway (though considering the thickness of the wall it'd be more like a hallway). I'll have to think about that for a while, but there's a good chance I will add something based on that idea.
                            Concerning the Flak: I actually like those "dead-ends" or lets rather call it "death-trap", it's just not where I would place a weapon ... personally I would place the chest armor or the mega-health there. But I assume that wouldn't be true to the original.
                            Concerning the Pulse-Rifle: You're right. It's not a "dead-end", but as you mentioned it's killing the flow.

I found your screenshot with the comment about putting a powerup on the waterfall thingy over the shock rifle particularly interesting. I was actually working on a UT2k4 version of this map years ago and had done something like that in it. The waterfall thing was replaced by a chute carrying molten metal with a spout at the end dropping it into the middle of the platform below (the one with the vials on it). At the very end of the chute, right over the spout, was the amp.

It was only accessible via hammer jump or by a fairly difficult (especially when under fire) wall-dodge from the sniper ledge.
                            You could place the U-Damage there. I know ... this would surely differ from the original itemplacement. But that would be a good spot. AND it would be a lot more risky to get it.

P.S. I just watched a match on the original DM-Nitro. Definitely not the type of map I like. I always liked those quakeish maps more.
                            Last edited by milb; 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post

wow, really? I remember talking with him a bunch on ICQ back in the Nali City days... fun times

Comment

Working...
                              X