X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[REMAKE]CTF-Pistola

[DOWNLOAD PAK FILE version b05]

Update 08282015
    Quick update to the weapon layout and fixing some collision issue.

Update 08242015

- A lot of visual reworking of both the interior and exterior of the bases. Still trying to introduce some visual asymmetry with the symmetrical layout. The current version is pretty much where I'm heading save for some visual polish.
    - Based on some playtest feedback, I am experimenting with weapon layouts. Currently, the only change from the previous version is a switch in the locations of the Shock and Rocket. This change seemed to make sense so far since the base can get pretty OP with the shock and sniper. My only reservation is the possible overspamminess that may be with the Rocket and Flak now, but I am thinking that won't be much of an issue in the long run. (I am open to any suggestions for possible weapons layout updates)
    - Added some wall running spots along the walls in the flag room as well as some exterior areas.
    - A lot more geometry updates that are too many to list.

Update 06272015

- New pak file built for the 4.8 Update. Made several changes based on feedback received:
    - One bit of feedback was that there were a few too many height changes (up/down movements) So I made some changes. Layout looks a lot similar to the original now
    - Added slope ramp in flag base to allow wall running.
    - Changed ramp in flak room to be jump pads. Lots of people mentioned that it was difficult to tell there was something there so the jump pads should make that more readable.
    - Unified the texture use around the map for more uniformity as well as tweaked the lighting to introduce more contrast and readability.
    - Did a bit of optimization of mesh count, lightmaps, etc. This so far has resulted in the file size being ~30MBs smaller from the previous version :-)
    Several more updates that I can't count at the moment.

** Please note the entire map is still very much WIP. However, the middle area terrain is the most heavily WIP part that I will focus on for the next update. As such, please don't stray too far to the edges of the map :-)

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

05282015 Update:
    Layout changes from original map includes:
    + Moving the armor in the low entrance to base from the floor up on a platform, in the same room. This was done intentionally to make that a bit more contestable by the flag carrier who now has to go out of their way to grab it, while still keeping it in play for everyone else.
    + Health bases that were on the ground level in the flak room has also been moved up a bit each on platforms. The platforms were added to add some z-axis gameplay while not changing the overall form of the room.
    + Switched sniper weapon pickup on bridge to biorifle (because 2 sniper pickups didn't seem to make sense and bio is needed, really ^_^)

Visually, I wanted to go for something that was close to the original while making it fresh, so instead of closing up the entire play space with cliff walls, I closed up most of it while leaving an opening outside the blue base. The purpose of this is to add some visual asymmetry to the map without changing the symmetrical gameplay at all. This way from a wide spectrum view, both sides will look somewhat different, which could also help to orient players as they move through.

Quick Update video for first pass on shell.

Hello everyone,
    So for a new project, I am going to be remaking (from the bottom up) CTF-Pistola from UT2004.
    The original was made by Clawfist, who I've already asked, so permissions/restrictions have been waived, etc etc.
    I don't plan on renaming the map since I aim to keep it as close to the original as possible, while adjusting as necessary for the gameplay mechanics of this new UT.

So no images or downloads yet but why post the thread. Well, two reasons:
    - I get to livestream (similar to what CaptainMigraine does) the making of the map from start to finish which is something I've been asked to do a few times with other maps but just never got really good at.
    - I can answer any questions that come up, as best as I can. And hopefully also learn a lot of stuff in the process.

So feel free to follow development on Twitch or Hitbox.
    I may edit this first post with VOD links (depending on how long they are ^_^)

Cheers.
    Last edited by jayoplus; 08-28-2015, 11:50 AM.
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Yeah son. One of my favorite maps from UT2004. Had no idea clawfist made it until today. Good luck!

Comment

My fav UT2004 CTF map. Looking forward to this!
      Curve projectiles prototype: Thread Code

UTComp-CTF: @github

Comment

:-)
        So far I have the basic core blockout done. I need to now start doing some refinement to bring it up to the level of play in this current UT.
        Didn't get any chance to work on this during the Easter weekend, but will be back streaming the WIP today.

cheers.
        MyArtstation
        @jayoplus

Comment

One of my favorites, good luck

Comment

So I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I have been very busy on this. Raxxy has been kind to put this map on the servers so it is currently playable on any of the ModHub servers.
            MyArtstation
            @jayoplus

Comment

So yea... Almost update? Maybe :-)
              Took longer than I wanted really, but I should have a new WIP-meshed version of this out by the time the next build hits.
              Here is a WIP shot

I have been posting periodic WIP images in the General WIP thread but didn't want to post here until I was closer to having a download available.
              Anyways, cheers ^_^
              MyArtstation
              @jayoplus

Comment

Wow that looks great! Can't wait to give it a shot. It's exciting to see these maps start to take form.
                DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Looks absolutely fantastic jayo. Last time I ran around in it, the scaling felt really good. Keep running towards that finish line

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                    Looks absolutely fantastic jayo. Last time I ran around in it, the scaling felt really good. Keep running towards that finish line
                    Don't run! Translocate!

I wanna play it Jayo, looks sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                      Wow that looks great! Can't wait to give it a shot. It's exciting to see these maps start to take form.
                      Originally posted by cafe View Post
                      Originally posted by Yndi View Post
                      Don't run! Translocate!

I wanna play it Jayo, looks sweet!
                      cheers guys. Thanks for the motivation. ^_^

Update:
                      Layout changes from original map includes:
                      + Moving the armor in the low entrance to base from the floor up on a platform, in the same room. This was done intentionally to make that a bit more contestable by the flag carrier who now has to go out of their way to grab it, while still keeping it in play for everyone else.
                      + Health bases that were on the ground level in the flak room has also been moved up a bit each on platforms. The platforms were added to add some z-axis gameplay while not changing the overall form of the room.
                      + Switched sniper weapon pickup on bridge to biorifle (because 2 sniper pickups didn't seem to make sense and bio is needed, really ^_^)

Visually, I wanted to go for something that was close to the original while making it fresh, so instead of closing up the entire play space with cliff walls, I closed up most of it while leaving an opening outside the blue base. The purpose of this is to add some visual asymmetry to the map without changing the symmetrical gameplay. This way from a wide spectrum view, both sides will look somewhat different, which could also help to orient players as they move through. This was the idea anyways, so I hope the execution so far is acceptable ^_^

I think that's pretty much it. I should point out that a lot of areas aren't completely done and I'm sure they'll probably be obvious, but the next update should be closer to what will be the final version. I plan to add some more details (to aid direction), add some foliage to the exterior terrain and work on the skybox. However, I am very open to feedback and bug report (especially bug reports).

Download link is updated in the original post.

cheers and thanks for playing everyone!
                      MyArtstation
                      @jayoplus

Comment

****! Nice work man! Looking sweet!

Comment

Wow cool garnicht knew that Sidney Rauchberger the Map Pistola made in UT2k4, but your work is not bad

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
                            ****! Nice work man! Looking sweet!
                            Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                            Wow cool garnicht knew that Sidney Rauchberger the Map Pistola made in UT2k4, but your work is not bad
                            Thanks much.

I would like to hear some feedback on how this is playing so far. I know it is a large download, but it is available to play on servers.
                            If you would like to bypass downloading via redirect, it is always possible to download from the link in OP and place the downloaded file in you local Documents/UnrealTournament/Saved/Paks/Downloads folder if I'm not mistaken.

I am primarily interested in hearing about the visibility across the board with respect to lighting/materials, etc. I want to make sure it's not too bright/dark so players are visible.

Thanks again all.
                            MyArtstation
                            @jayoplus

Comment

Looks sick, good mesh work. I love the flak room. It almost feels like a metal cathedral or something.

I think currently, (maybe due to being WIP) the lighting is letting you down a bit, the interiors are just too low in contrast. It feels like you have your ambient lighting in, but don't have any strong directional lighting, so everything gets mushed together into a single (light) value. In my experience, players have a harder time trying to distinguish spaces when they can't tell when one area stops and the next starts.

I painted over your screenshots a little to illustrate how adding some focus with the lightning can give you much better space definition and readability. (The bottom ones are your unedited screenshots) It also shows off your cool mesh work better methinks.

I could go a lot crazier with the lighting changes, but I just wanted to explain my point in minimum. Hope it helps! Cheers!

Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X