DM-FractalCore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by code187 View Post
    Fireborn the trap doors not responding to rockets is a newnet bug rockets can open and should open trap. Also you can dodge over it and get belt. Yeah you can survive the trap Venguard just dont touch the cross

I assumed rockets were a pointdamage trigger like shock minigun enforcer but no matter what setting I try rockets will not trigger that doors unless set to trigger on all damage which I dont want as shock combo sets if off
    Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
    Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
    Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

Comment

Yeah any damage set them off on original including combos, but you can set it how you like at the end of the day.
      (sorry fireborn i thought you meant rockets in ut99)
      Join the community Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

I consider strafe dodging a different skill than just dodging. You can't make it across in UT1 by just dodging but you can do it with strafe adding to your momentum. In UT4 we don't have this extra technique and both dodges and strafe dodges go the same distance, so the gap shouldn't be crossable via dodges in UT4 Fractal. I would like strafe dodges back but I don't see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Venguard View Post
          No sorry, map is getting a big overhall at the moment due to alot of feed back, but here is what the new resized hallway looks like

Looking good!
          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Venguard View Post
            I assumed rockets were a pointdamage trigger like shock minigun enforcer but no matter what setting I try rockets will not trigger that doors unless set to trigger on all damage which I dont want as shock combo sets if off
            I'm sad to say this looks like it is going to be a pain in UE4 just like it was in UE3. There was a workaround in UE3 which I can't remember at the moment but I could open one of my old maps and jog my memory. Potentially something similar would work.
            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Ahh, Fractal. One suggestion: change the base colors (away from white) to match that of the original map. You can do that pretty easily in the base shader, and Josh covered the process in the livestream. Now, I'm off to drop fools into that trap...
              Jim Brown
              @EntropicDev
              Epic Games

Comment

Hey man, this looks really good! I like the way you used the curved panels, hanging them from the cross beams like that. I might steal that one.

My only crits would be to pay attention to scale. Scale is always going to be an issue with UT so it's something we try to be mindful of. Right now you have a lot of things scaled up really large. You can get a way with a lot of that in UT, up to a point and then everything starts to look out of whack.

Try stringing some tubing, wires and medium size hoses along some of your bigger shapes. Add some smaller details here and there. Not everywhere, just in 'clumps'.

Also, I'd limit your light sources. I try to pick one, maybe two, main light sources for every room or area. Too many light sources gives you a flat look and things tend to not look as 3D. You have some nice architecture, fewer light sources will help add dimension to your shapes. You can have a lot of lights but, IMO, only one or two of them should be responsible for most of the lighting. The rest are for detail.

In that hallway you have those awesome windows, I'd use them for my lighting and maybe do away with the overhead.

If you find things are getting too dark, up the bounces on select lights and keep re-building until it feels right.

Looking good man. Keep plugging away.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Kohler View Post
                  Also, I'd limit your light sources. I try to pick one, maybe two, main light sources for every room or area. Too many light sources gives you a flat look and things tend to not look as 3D. You have some nice architecture, fewer light sources will help add dimension to your shapes. You can have a lot of lights but, IMO, only one or two of them should be responsible for most of the lighting. The rest are for detail.
                  This. In some screenshots, I couldn't help but notice, that the map gives a borderlands-esque feeling.
                  > FreezeTag [Blueprint]
                  > Reimagining of Greed [BluePrint]
                  > Avarice, a DM-variant of Greed [BluePrint]

Comment

Updated progress towards beta 2
                    Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack

Comment

Sweet, you got the doors to open on rockets. At a glance I think the dark look is much better as per the original Fractal than the overly white one but I'll have to wait to play it myself to see how the visual clarity holds up vs opponents.

I'm not entirely sure about the giant laser beam blasting down the whole center part of the map and I would probably prefer the ol trapdoor lasers but maybe I need to warm up to the new change. You got the portal working thats great, is it an engine limitation that you can't do an open room portal instead of a picture? In any case, digging the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                        Sweet, you got the doors to open on rockets. At a glance I think the dark look is much better as per the original Fractal than the overly white one but I'll have to wait to play it myself to see how the visual clarity holds up vs opponents.

I'm not entirely sure about the giant laser beam blasting down the whole center part of the map and I would probably prefer the ol trapdoor lasers but maybe I need to warm up to the new change. You got the portal working thats great, is it an engine limitation that you can't do an open room portal instead of a picture? In any case, digging the progress.
                        The portal is set to a 2d camera set up, so i'm guessing that's why it looks flat (its still a live update) but still looks wrong, if I find out how to get a 3d portal working Ill change it but for the moment till I get b2 out ill work on making the map look pretty.

The laser beam can be taken out easy but it does make it risky to jump from top deck down as you have about a 50% change of jumping into it, so its kind of funny, but of course for balance I might take it out

Comment

Well the only reason I'm iffy about the giant laser is that it just seems to get in the way of the trapdoor portal. People can take the portal intentionally as well as being "dropped" just to get to the second level without taking the elevator. The risk is of course in the X lasers. Maybe the switch in your version can swap the lasers from the X cross to the giant beam, just be delayed and have the door open for longer? I do like the big laser, it works with the "Fractal" theme so just spitballing here. Again I'd have to wait and see how it actually plays out with the pak. =p

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                            Well the only reason I'm iffy about the giant laser is that it just seems to get in the way of the trapdoor portal. People can take the portal intentionally as well as being "dropped" just to get to the second level without taking the elevator. The risk is of course in the X lasers. Maybe the switch in your version can swap the lasers from the X cross to the giant beam, just be delayed and have the door open for longer? I do like the big laser, it works with the "Fractal" theme so just spitballing here. Again I'd have to wait and see how it actually plays out with the pak. =p
                            maybe have the laser auto fire every 60sec just as the belt spawns, this would give a map cue to everyone that the belt has spawned.

Comment

I just gave this a quick two rounds, and here are my off-the-cuff thoughts:

Right now it feels a bit overscaled. The bottom isn't awful, and the change in shock projectile velocity might necessitate the wider area. The drop down also feels a bit tall, but that's less of an issue. The real problem is the upper area- it was very tight and confined in the original, and while you can certainly change that, at least add a bit more cover up there. The idea, I think, was to have the bottom be perfect for shock play, and the upper area work with grenades. As your remake stands, shock feels stronger in both areas right now, and grenades aren't terribly useful.

It might benefit you to add in something you can do with a lift jump. I come from the school of thought that says every elevator should have a lift jump destination as well as a normal exit, even if the jump just gets you a couple extra health vials. If you do go for it, it should be workable here to add a tunnel/vent above the lift that goes forwards a short distance and then drops down into the upper floor, sort of like the lift jump exit in DM-Rankin.

Finally, I might just be bad at shooting floors, but I couldn't get the trap to trigger, though I only tried with rox/shock. Reading through the thread suggests that might be part of the issue. As the others have stated though, you can absolutely survive a fall into the trap pit with a little timing and/or luck- that's a fun mechanic, and one you should definitely consider. Plus, even if you died in the trap, it's important to shower all the players with gibs from the unlucky person's corpse.

As far as visuals go, I know it's really early, but I completely agree with Entropy- the original had a very strong theme to it, the blue/yellow patterning was quite distinctive and I can see it in my head even though I haven't played Fractal for over a year, and not many times in the last five. It would be worth evoking the original by using a similar palette, even if you wind up changing the theme or layout.

EDIT: Looks like you've updated the map since I downloaded the test version. The new screenshots look much more promising in regards to scale, especially on the upper level. I stand by my suggestion about the lift jump though.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post

EDIT: Looks like you've updated the map since I downloaded the test version. The new screenshots look much more promising in regards to scale, especially on the upper level. I stand by my suggestion about the lift jump though.
                                I did not want to deviate to much from the original but you might of seen there is a big gap at the top of the lift, the idea was to have that as a small ledge that would have health vials and that ledge was drop down into the tunnel from the pipe in the roof seen in this screen shot.

The tunnel is actual sill there so 2 clicks and its back
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X