No announcement yet.

DM-FractalCore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, that's fair. It always bugged me in the original that the lift didn't go to a jump as well, but a couple vials would make it better.

I'll give the map another go when the new version is up; I will say that I liked the vials on the ledges above the pillars that provide cover on the bottom level. That was a nice bit of breadcrumbing, it got me to drop onto them a couple times and shoot from there. Might be worth putting vials on the edges of the plasma generating arms in the new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Venguard View Post
      maybe have the laser auto fire every 60sec just as the belt spawns, this would give a map cue to everyone that the belt has spawned.
      That might get pretty hectic but everything is at least worth testing out.

On the the original elevators they didnt go anywhere but they're not really fast enough to think that a elevator jump would come to mind.

If you want to get crazy you could try to do something with the lifts being able to jump back into the original dropping points and do something with that like being able to portal across the other side if you lift jumped, this would probably ruin everything about the controlled chaos in Fractal and just end up madness =p
      Last edited by FirebornForm; 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I'd been thinking about the original spawn points too, and was unable to decide if they're good or not. I mean, they were absolutely cool, a very neat idea no doubt. It also helped conceal where new players spawned in a bit, a very good thing on a map this small. On the other hand, it could be disorienting to spawn already falling, and essentially blind for the first half second. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
          I'd been thinking about the original spawn points too, and was unable to decide if they're good or not. I mean, they were absolutely cool, a very neat idea no doubt. It also helped conceal where new players spawned in a bit, a very good thing on a map this small. On the other hand, it could be disorienting to spawn already falling, and essentially blind for the first half second. What do you guys think?
          I think the original dropping spawn points added to the frenetic feeling of the map but I can see how some people probably hated them because often times you would drop into a battle disoriented. I would like to have them in because of the uniqueness but it's more work for Venguard...
          Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Hey Venguard, your B2 video looks like it is coming along nicely. The screenies look REALLY dark (more than the video). Be careful not to go too dark. IMO DM-Lea, as cool as it is, is too dark for a fast paced game like UT.
            Last edited by MΛuL; 04-08-2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Please a new Pak Venguard i will play your Map

Comment

Beta 2 is out video coming soon
                Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
                Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
                Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

Comment

Gave it a quick run through (will do more later). The size makes much more sense now for Fractal. Elevators could possibly be sped up a bit. The main thing for now is that you have some performance issues. I was getting 40's fps in the main floor area and 30's in the hallways/elevator area. I get 90's in Outpost23 so you've got some lighting issue there most likely. I'm sure you will get that figured out.

Great progress in a short period. Keep it up!

Comment

I found the map already in UT99 cool so I'm glad they zuhaben in the new UT, therefore, when the new version comes to a test for us?

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                      Gave it a quick run through (will do more later). The size makes much more sense now for Fractal. Elevators could possibly be sped up a bit. The main thing for now is that you have some performance issues. I was getting 40's fps in the main floor area and 30's in the hallways/elevator area. I get 90's in Outpost23 so you've got some lighting issue there most likely. I'm sure you will get that figured out.

Great progress in a short period. Keep it up!
                      Just did a quick check of the map after you posted this and yep there is a big big problem, In the editor I had the main light source in the room set to "not visible in editor", and looks like I made a new light so two of them are over lapping easy to fix but annoying that Iv put up a .pak for people to check out and its kinda bugged :/

Some other things that need to be fixed :
                      The blocking volume on the top deck is slightly too big around the rim, so what looks like a clean shot ends up killing yourself
                      One of the spawn in the top area does not spawn right above the rocket launcher, so when you drop down you miss it

speeding up the elevators should be no problem, might add 2 more health vials up top to make it a bit worth while to use it.
                      Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack

Comment

Just gave the new version a play, and all of the changes seem positive so far. I still have mixed feelings about the big laser; it is thematically very cool, but it does obscure visibility quite a bit, and it's really easy to accidentally trigger the door with a rocket or combo because of how huge the explosion radii are. Even in a 1v1 with a bot, the trap was getting triggered nearly continuously it seemed, and I can't imagine adding another player or two would lessen the chaos.

Besides the problem with the framerate due to the lighting issue you mentioned, I don't have any real gripes. I guess I would say that having four health packs on the upper deck feels like a lot; I know the original did as well, but health packs were only 20 HP in UT, and there were no vials in that version either. Might be worth trying out with two packs instead?

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                          Just gave the new version a play, and all of the changes seem positive so far. I still have mixed feelings about the big laser; it is thematically very cool, but it does obscure visibility quite a bit, and it's really easy to accidentally trigger the door with a rocket or combo because of how huge the explosion radii are. Even in a 1v1 with a bot, the trap was getting triggered nearly continuously it seemed, and I can't imagine adding another player or two would lessen the chaos.

Besides the problem with the framerate due to the lighting issue you mentioned, I don't have any real gripes. I guess I would say that having four health packs on the upper deck feels like a lot; I know the original did as well, but health packs were only 20 HP in UT, and there were no vials in that version either. Might be worth trying out with two packs instead?
                          If I leave 2 health packs on the upper deck and then leave 4 vials in the lift jump area it would almost balance out the same I guess and encourage people to go get them.

The laser is still up in the air for balance issues, I could make the switch size smaller to reduce the chances of it being set off.
                          but the laser can be used as a means og defense in a 1v1 setup, its so bright setting it off limits each persons vision and cuts them off from jump over to you this gives you a few seconds (3) to maybe run away

Comment

the cyan light circles doesn't fit the color scheme too... Maybe change them to white or orange ?

Comment

Originally posted by toninus View Post
                              the cyan light circles doesn't fit the color scheme too... Maybe change them to white or orange ?

Like this ??

or this

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Venguard; 04-09-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Maybe it could be a different hue of blue/cyan but I like the blue light circles personally since it hearkens back to the original Fractal.

Comment

Working...
                                X