• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-FractalCore

UPDATE 20/11/2015
    New Cooked Version

Changes:
    Fixed the bad lighting issue

Special thanks for the following people for the amazing feedback to make the map become what it is
    M^uL
    FirebornForm
    aniviron
    ChA1NsAw
    KazeoHin-TechAE

Changes Pre Final:
    Bots now use lifts and go for health packs
    Added loads more blocking volumes to smooth out game play
    Fixed some lighting issues
    Hi-Res Hazard Strip around the pit

B7 Changes:
    Removed red lighting and replaced it with and over all blue and yellow colour
    Changed the colour of the pipes to old red tunnels to yellow
    Removed pipe section over Red tunnel and replaced with a newer look this should help in what direction you are facing now that the red lights are gone
    Reduced file size a bit
    Added Yellow and Black hazard strip around the pit fall
    Fixed Laser timing bug with the door.
    Laser is now a hot glowing yellow with a tint of red at its core

Bugs:
    Music Loops at random times

Thanks to everyone that has given feed back, Fingers crossed I can get some player vs player feed back to make sure everything work right over the network, iv still only tested with bots on a server. If all goes well and with a few tweaks I can maybe wrap this map up and get it moved to published section.
    B6b Changes:
    Lower level and tunnels have been totally redesigned, this should hopefully clear up some confusion on what direction you are facing.
    I may change the mid section pipes back to a window depending on feedback.
    Added mech8 music
    Map size is slightly smaller with some changes made

Things That need to be fixed:
    Laser bugs out the trap door on the first fire when online (only the first one rest are fine)
    Might of made the floor texture to bright and it now makes the map really bright...good or bad ill wait for feed back, some people might like the shadows in the video before the change.

B5 Changes:
    Added a map screen shot (place holder till final)
    Bots don't get stuck in pit doors
    Bots try to avoid the pit when its open
    Bots Avoid the laser
    Added some Fans around the room
    Over all bots are a lot harder

B4b Changes:
    Belt now has no base
    Fixed Texture problem on the lifts
    Added a bit more detail to the map
    Changed lower level to a bit more red tint
    Bots will now go for the belt but will also just ignore the laser and trap doors if open so that kind of sucks

B4a Changes:
    Fixed Lift timing problem, you should be able to reach the vents now
    Fixed Static mesh pipe sticking out of the wall
    Fixed some blocking volumes
    Walls are now 100 units thicker and window mesh are now scaled .3 bigger
    Lighting has been tweaked a lot

B3 Changes:
    Lighting has been made brighter
    Pit Core Laser is now on a RNG timer between 30-45 sec (has vocal warning)
    Pit Door switches only activate the doors now to be more in line with original version
    Removed 2 Health packs from the top deck but moved them nearer the tunnel exits
    4 Health vials have been added to the top of the lift jump
    8 Health Vials have been added to the top of the pit fall pillars
    Switch pads have had there size greatly reduced
    Arrows have been put on both sides of the switches to help new players understand what they do
    Blocking volumes added around all the windows so you dont snag on them
    Blocking Volumes added in the tunnels to stop you snagging on the walls
    Removed collision on the window inside the lift shaft
    Work on sky box has begun
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Venguard; 11-20-2015, 07:11 AM.
    Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
    Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
    Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

Nice! Definitely going to be trying this out. In UT3, the way to make a floating pickup was to scale the actual pickup to the size of a dust speck and then put the mesh of the pickup in its place (with some rotation animation as needed). I thought there was going to be a simpler way to do this in UE4 so I'm not sure if that method is overkill or not.
    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Yeah Fractal Core its a cool map

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
        Nice! Definitely going to be trying this out. In UT3, the way to make a floating pickup was to scale the actual pickup to the size of a dust speck and then put the mesh of the pickup in its place (with some rotation animation as needed). I thought there was going to be a simpler way to do this in UE4 so I'm not sure if that method is overkill or not.
        I tried messing around with the blue print , buy creating a new one and then setting base mesh in the blue print to empty, in PIE it works fine but when I build the map and play in game the base mesh is back , ill try your way but that might make the re-spawn timer really small to see
        Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
          In 2k4 a nice trick for "baseless" pickups was to replace the base mesh with a small invisible mesh... A flat, triangular, one poly sheet mesh with no collision was usual. The base was still there, you just couldn't see it or collide with it. For editing purposes you could still see it in wireframe.

Vortex has a floating redeemer with the base rotated and stuck to the roof above a lift... I was wondering if there was a reason the author didn't just use the invisible mesh trick instead (maybe it doesn't work in UT4) or what?
          Last edited by MoxNix; 04-03-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

I'd love to see a fractal remake for UT4, however, I dont think using raw Outpost 23 assets for it is the way to go artistically in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
              I'd love to see a fractal remake for UT4, however, I dont think using raw Outpost 23 assets for it is the way to go artistically in my opinion.
              The game play is only based on Fractal, The project started out like Fractal and at 50% bsp work done I looked at it and wanted to move away from the 8 sided cylinder look as it just make it look like a map from a game 5 years ago, so I set out to building the map into what looks like a reactor core with a brighter cleaner feel to it but kept the pit.
              This why its called FractalCore but your right in a way I should maybe wait around a bit more for some assets from other maps to come.

Comment

I think the biggest problem with using the Outpost assets is we're probably soon going to be flooded by something like a billion maps using those assets.

Usually I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to remakes. For the most part I prefer remakes where the gameplay is the same and the look is thematically similar but Fractal isn't a map where I think that's important.

One issue I can see with the map though is rockets vs shock isn't nearly as fair a fight as it was in UT99.

Good job!
                Last edited by MoxNix; 04-04-2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                  One issue I can see with the map though is rockets vs shock isn't nearly as fair a fight as it was in UT99.
                  any tips on what I should switch around? The map is about 2.5 times bigger, The movement speed in ut4 seems a bit faster or maybe the char size feels bigger, so I made the map a bit more roomy to play around it (6-8 players). I could Add Flak Cannon on bottom deck and armor on top...ill test it out, doing a full lighting overhall at the moment

Comment

Just checked it out. I know you're not going for a Fractal replica but overall the scale seems a little too big for this type of map with UT4's current movement. I felt like I was trudging over to pickups on a flat surface as opposed to feeling the frenetic action that normally a Fractal would have. I don't think you want to shoot for a 6-8 player map with this kind of layout since you end up with large, non-descript flat spaces like the bottom floor and upper deck. I think you may want to consider scaling the map down a little bit. It plays more like a Morbias than a Fractal.

Also, the elevator hallways and elevators seemed scaled too large relative to the player.

The trap door only seems triggerable with a few weapons (enforcer, shock..) and also not triggerable by stepping on it. You're going to want all weapons and stepping on it to trigger it. I don't think I was getting kill credits for dropping players through the hole. You may want to look at developing a blueprint that can give kill credits to the player that triggered the door.

You may also want to look at modifying the materials and lighting to make it more unique relative to Outpost23. It looks like they have the materials set up nicely to change colors and dirt/grime effects fairly easily.

Excellent WIP so far. Keep it up!
                    Last edited by MΛuL; 04-05-2015, 01:56 PM.
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by Venguard View Post
                      any tips on what I should switch around? The map is about 2.5 times bigger, The movement speed in ut4 seems a bit faster or maybe the char size feels bigger, so I made the map a bit more roomy to play around it (6-8 players). I could Add Flak Cannon on bottom deck and armor on top...ill test it out, doing a full lighting overhall at the moment
                      I don't think I'd make any weapons changes for now. Just keep your fingers crossed, hope they see the light and go back to a spread pattern for secondary rocket fire. Definitely do not add any more powerups... Unless maybe as a 2k4 style wildcard pickup base, where the same pickup base spawns different pickups.

Odd 2.5 scale is what works best for 99 maps. Are you absolutely sure that's the scale you used?

If you used that UT3Converter tool to convert, then scale the map, make sure you did the convert at 1.0 not the 1.25 it defaults to. Otherwise when you scale it by 2.5 in the next step you'll actually wind up with 1.25 x 2.5 = 3.125 scale!

Though I really didn't play it much, other than a quick run through with just me in, I agree with pretty much all of M^ul's comments. Still I think you're on the right track, it just needs more work.
                      Last edited by MoxNix; 04-04-2015, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                        I don't think I'd make any weapons changes for now. Just keep your fingers crossed, hope they see the light and go back to a spread pattern for secondary rocket fire. Definitely do not add any more powerups... Unless maybe as a 2k4 style wildcard pickup base, where the same pickup base spawns different pickups.

Odd 2.5 scale is what works best for 99 maps. Are you absolutely sure that's the scale you used?

If you used that UT3Converter tool to convert, then scale the map, make sure you did the convert at 1.0 not the 1.25 it defaults to. Otherwise when you scale it by 2.5 in the next step you'll actually wind up with 1.25 x 2.5 = 3.125 scale!

Though I really didn't play it much, other than a quick run through with just me in, I agree with pretty much all of M^ul's comments. Still I think you're on the right track, it just needs more work.
                        I did not use the UT3Converter started from blank map, the problem I was having was the movement speed that seems to get faster as you run in UT4, you could run over the trap door and get the belt faster then the doors would open, at the time of testing the doors would open in .25 sec, so to make the trap door any way viable to kill someone I had to make it over 2 times bigger then I wanted this then made the room tiny to play in, it was just a knock on effect after that.

The only way I had to get the same game speed was to load up Unreal and time everything

Original map times: <-- From Far spawns not the ones that spawn on top of the weapons/near which I don't have in my map yet
                        From spawn to pick up shock rifle 3sec
                        Rocket Launcher Pick up 3sec
                        Power Belt 3sec
                        Health pack : 2sec

My map: <-- After this post iv moved spawn neared the top half of the tunnel and have dropped this to 3sec
                        From spawn to pick up shock rifle 4sec
                        Rocket Launcher Pick up 4sec
                        Power Belt 3sec
                        Heath Pack 2sec

So although the scale may look all wrong the distance to get items is almost the same which makes me confused on how to scale a map right :/ ill keep working on it and thanks for the feed back, as always the more feed back the better.

Comment

I made a quick video for you

Last edited by Jay22; 04-05-2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Oooh, this map. I think in the original version the vertical beams gave more cover. And the upper part was higher. Anyway, it probably works either way.
                            Do increase the lighting in this level though, way too dark.

Comment

Thanks for the video

Iv been working a lot on the lighting and effects/shadowing so as of right now here is what it looks like (only one switch is enabled at the moment till I get sounds and stuff right in the blue print)
                              Skybox has been removed till I rework it too

Last edited by Venguard; 04-05-2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X