DM-Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Garden

So this project is early on and I personally think it needs more iteration but I'm very curious what some other people here think. Made only in BSP so far because I wanna finish the blockout entirely first, but the inspiration and reference comes from European hedge gardens and castle arboriums.

The intense symmetry I think would work well for a CTF map too, but I think it's especially small for that.

https://ut.rushbase.net/thedanaffair...wsNoEditor.pak

Attached Files

Try and make it feel like a garden. Look at reference and see what makes a beautiful (hedge) garden. For instance the hedge arches in the picture below would be something nice. Without the maze. Or maybe the map is located inside the maze with a nice castle in the background. Try removing the walls too. Garden make you feel free, not trapped.

Or put a large sundial in the middle, where you can walk on and jump to other places.

It's also missing trees and other hedge features.

This real life situation would be awesome z-axis combat.

The possibilities are endless.
    You have the chance to make something beautiful. I can see it in my head already. However, the current iteration doesn't convince me of a garden yet. Keep going! I want you to succeed because I love gardens.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChA1NsAw; 04-06-2015, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks! I definitely love seeing some other reference material. I was going for less of the hedge maze part of it but those topiaries and the castle garden inspiration, like you said. I watched the Cinderella adaptation about halfway through this so I had plans to make the BSP by the Bio Rifle be a fountain with a statue in it, the two huts being like little hedge inlets, and a lot of the walls being ivy-covered. I can definitely feel that BSPs don't represent this at all, but in my head at least that's where it's coming from.

Size-wise I'm considering extending the level further beyond where the Bio Rifle is because it is a little small and I think more avenues for adding foliage are there.

Comment

Working...
      X