CTF-PlasmaticLabs (VERY early WIP)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-PlasmaticLabs (VERY early WIP)

As the title says, this is a very early build, but the more I work on it the more I'm doubting what I've got so far and the direction I'm going. Rather than pushing ahead with what may be a lost cause (or at least what may require a from scratch do-over), I was hoping to get some thoughts on the base and midsection layout as it currently stands from you fine forum folks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...wsNoEditor.pak

Issues to be fixed:
    -Flag area basement damage volume with no visual queue to indicate it will hurt the player (also, basements don't feel like they flow well, thinking of eliminating them altogether)
    -Atrocious lighting, I did some clean up but still have a ton of overlapping point lights that need to be eliminated.
    -Center area plasma beam hazards: I'm not sure if the mid level area all emanating from a central point is visually appealing. Originally they were fully vertical from multiple points and I think that may look better. Also I stole the drill emitter from Outpost23 and modified it, I'd like to create my own though.
    -Center area post process volume: the change in color as you exit and enter the beam room is jarring, I plan to add a moving door to help block the view in/out.
    -Overall scale is feeling a bit on the ginormous side, but I'm intending this to be a 14-18 player map, and hopefully once I start in with more meshes it will feel less cavernous.
    -Random open to the world ceiling need to be closed off yet

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions!
    Attached Files

The middle two screenshots look like Bunnytrack/Speed to me because it's linear. It's also very dark.
    You have an exciting imagination though, looking at the UDamage trap. But you can make a much more spectacular contraption emitting those beams instead of just a sphere. Maybe you can build a landmark in the centre of the map using that idea. And creating your map around that theme.

I see you are already adding static meshes. Wait with that. Build a solid BSP block out first. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

I left thatlong hallway area open, trying to encourage some Z axis fighting. Would it be better though if it was a little more broken up along the way, maybe with some walls and/or floors dividing the upper and lower areas? I didn't want to build it out too much further or make it too complex since it's already a really big map. And yeah, I need to redo lighting completely. I threw in a global post process now with ambient light until I get closer to that point, just to help with testing and visibility

The sphere with the beams was more of a placeholder, you may have give me an idea though on how to improve it now.

As for the meshes, they were mostly just to test a couple ideas/themes, and to test covering up some problem areas. I'm still working on BSP shell and am not going to go fully decorated until I feel that layout works and has had some testing done.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by mirror_saw View Post
        Thanks for the feedback!
        The sphere with the beams was more of a placeholder, you may have give me an idea though on how to improve it now.
        You are the mapper, go nuts!

Comment

UPDATE:
          The map is fully playable, though far from finished. Bots do a decent job and go to all areas, attack/defend the flag, etc.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...wsNoEditor.pak

Map still feels like it may be a little too big, though with 11 bots it never felt empty. I added some more cover in some of the open areas, and I think I may add more. I still need to redo the center mid plasma emitter where the U-Damage is and I'm still unsure if I want to keep the flagbase basements or the center area basement. If anyone has some time to give it a play, I'd really love some feedback. Thanks!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X