DM-Vicious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Vicious

UPDATED again 4/20/2015 I hope Stuman doesn't mind that I used his exact theme of Dm-Chill! I just liked it so much that i couldn't resist. It had such an arena vibe with the statues of Malcolm that it fit UT perfectly.

Download new version - https://www.dropbox.com/s/i393uzlclp...ditor.pak?dl=0

Click image for larger version

Name:	998638e375.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	356956

Name:	b68fbe36da.jpg
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	356957

Name:	6df4b1e601.jpg
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	356958

Name:	f5d0e4d965.jpg
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	356959

Name:	cd22112796.jpg
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	356960

Name:	43be269e63.jpg
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	356961

Name:	ccd290d28b.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	356962

Name:	3c34c754be.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	356963

Name:	08e67ed25b.jpg
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	356964

Name:	0554e6f004.jpg
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	356965

Name:	310de504b8.jpg
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	356966

Name:	68e76b9750.jpg
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	356967

Name:	7694b1b9ef.jpg
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	356968

Name:	37762e24c0.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	356969

I'm back... with a duel map... that isn't made for giants. I finally decided to say screw it and use the standard scale, and i decided to be less ambitious and make a level more by the book.

Anyway, DM-Vicious is a simple 1on1 map that was sort of molded around DM-ASDF, except this map is a little bigger and its harder to lock down control.
    I've actually play tested this with a few friends on an earlier version and it plays pretty well.

OLD video but similar layout. https://youtu.be/5iPmdl9GhQw
    Last edited by Numb.51; 04-20-2015, 12:24 AM.

I watched the video, and I like the map. However, for the shield belt, I don't like the jump pad being there. Also, the little hole that lets you snipe people who are going for the shield belt seems like it would be pretty unused unless you are right there at exactly the right moment... I would suggest make a path to the shield belt that approaches it in the same direction as the jump pad, but requires a bit of jumping, leaving you in the open for shots through the gap that could possibly knock you off that particular path to the belt. Other than that, looks fine besides a bit of snagging that you seemed to have on the lift jump to the health vials. Maybe increase the lift speed a teensy bit, or lower that platform so you don't have that little snag... Cool map though!
    My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

Looking good !
      Maybe a ramp instead of the bumper for the belt ?

Comment

Originally posted by Darksteel View Post
        I watched the video, and I like the map. However, for the shield belt, I don't like the jump pad being there. Also, the little hole that lets you snipe people who are going for the shield belt seems like it would be pretty unused unless you are right there at exactly the right moment... I would suggest make a path to the shield belt that approaches it in the same direction as the jump pad, but requires a bit of jumping, leaving you in the open for shots through the gap that could possibly knock you off that particular path to the belt. Other than that, looks fine besides a bit of snagging that you seemed to have on the lift jump to the health vials. Maybe increase the lift speed a teensy bit, or lower that platform so you don't have that little snag... Cool map though!
        Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I do agree that the jump pad looks a little off, but i don't think i have a solution for this yet. I could simply replace it with a dodge ramp, but they are extremely sketchy due to being buggy and unreliable for such a key pickup. Adding a walk-able ramp does two things I don't like. First, it would extend the room too much and make it too long. It's already a pretty long room. Secondly, a person going for belt would be able to not have to commit to grabbing it because they have control on a ramp. I want the person going for belt to be 100 percent committed. If they are going for it while an enemy is in the room shooting at them, they have a pretty good chance of getting pushed off. The idea is to kill anyone in that room before grabbing it.

The window peeping into belt isn't really in conventional maps, but it has been done before. I think this idea is a little bit more towards duelers. Duelers pretty much know where there opponent is at all times, and i could imagine some amazing prediction shots with that window, and plus it exposes the belt even more which is always a good thing considering how powerful it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
          Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I do agree that the jump pad looks a little off, but i don't think i have a solution for this yet. I could simply replace it with a dodge ramp, but they are extremely sketchy due to being buggy and unreliable for such a key pickup. Adding a walk-able ramp does two things I don't like. First, it would extend the room too much and make it too long. It's already a pretty long room. Secondly, a person going for belt would be able to not have to commit to grabbing it because they have control on a ramp. I want the person going for belt to be 100 percent committed. If they are going for it while an enemy is in the room shooting at them, they have a pretty good chance of getting pushed off. The idea is to kill anyone in that room before grabbing it.

The window peeping into belt isn't really in conventional maps, but it has been done before. I think this idea is a little bit more towards duelers. Duelers pretty much know where there opponent is at all times, and i could imagine some amazing prediction shots with that window, and plus it exposes the belt even more which is always a good thing considering how powerful it is.
          How about something like this? (excuse the absolutely beautiful and amazing paint drawing)

Also, for the chest piece, I don't like the jump pad there, it feels like that route should be taken to steal the chest from in front of someone, but the speed of the jump pad compared to how slow the lift is, makes the jump pad the best option. I think removing the jump pad, and then adding a hole in the face shown in the picture would make that path a bit more of a balanced contesting route rather than the main way to go grab the armour...

Also just to note, the window behind this jump pad in the picture above eats projectiles. Just try bouncing a flak primary or some rocket launcher grenades off of it, you'll see what I mean...

EDIT: Also, the AI pathing is a bit off. They don't seem to know that there are powerups on the map...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Darksteel; 04-16-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Updated thread with screenshots and a new DL. Darksteel I addressed some of the areas you suggested, but I still haven't play tested the last few builds so i'm hesitant to do major changes as of now! I made that jump pad to Vest just a ramp. I still kept the 100 how it is.. but I added some dodge ramps for a 3rd way to get up. Still possibly will change.

Comment

Looks good! Unfortunately I won't be able to test for a week or so. Moving stuff about, and my desktop PC is not available for a while.

Comment

Not at all, feel free to use and abuse stuff from Chill! For that stuff I just made colour variants of Sids Ancient materials and tweaked lighting/fog till it felt cold. I always love to see how people use themes and styles differently.

I'll try and check out the map when I get a chance!

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]stuman View Post
                  Not at all, feel free to use and abuse stuff from Chill! For that stuff I just made colour variants of Sids Ancient materials and tweaked lighting/fog till it felt cold. I always love to see how people use themes and styles differently.

I'll try and check out the map when I get a chance!
                  Thank you!

Comment

This is turning out pretty good!

Found some nice camping spots... probably too nice.

Attached Files

Comment

Yep. Alpha map, alpha problems

Comment

Wouls love to see one update on this one !

Comment

Download error not found

Comment

Working...
                          X