No announcement yet.

DM-Nine - New pak (7/14/17) July 2017 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I re-cooked the map for the latest build. I'm not focused on this one now but it's basically dead if I don't bump it up to the new engine. The movement changes work quite well on this map, everything feels tight.

https://ut.rushbase.net/tidu/Nine/DM...wsNoEditor.pak 13MB

This update has a few changes. The minigun and the link were switched. Some minor cosmetic changes were made and a dodge ramp was added near the bio. I've been working on another shell lately. Sometime in the future I will return to the map and start creating meshes. Good to see a few downloads on the previous releases, I hope it hosted some good matches.
    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

hey tidu
      the skybox is temporary? I see very odd the ambientlight compared to the lightning on surface (wall, floor etc..) if these are a bit dark the sky could be a rising sun or a dawn in the evening dunno. Anyway I like how its going its a bit between 2k4 and ut99 (blue tints in their lights), great thing hahaha

Comment

I really like this map! I think there is a lot of interactivity. As mentioned before, a lot of places where people can pop up at. Also, I like this checkered floor and the bold arrows, it adds a nice character to it.

It reminds me a bit of Ut 2004's Roughinery, a map I like for it's simplicity, but I think I like this one even more. Keep us updated!
        Last edited by Basalt; 07-04-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darksonny View Post
          hey tidu
          the skybox is temporary? I see very odd the ambientlight compared to the lightning on surface (wall, floor etc..) if these are a bit dark the sky could be a rising sun or a dawn in the evening dunno. Anyway I like how its going its a bit between 2k4 and ut99 (blue tints in their lights), great thing hahaha
          Hi darksonny, thanks for the comments. I see what you mean regarding the skybox. I haven't really put any thought into that yet so it's not final. I do see what you mean in that it looks a lot brighter than the rest of the map. In the latest version I tweaked the direction of the sun to light up some more areas, which may make this look a bit better. In the current screenshots the sun is pretty low so while the sky looks bright, the level relies on local lighting and not the sunlight. Overall I think I will need to address the lighting again because it is quite dark in some areas.

Originally posted by Basalt View Post
          I really like this map! I think there is a lot of interactivity. As mentioned before, a lot of places where people can pop up at. Also, I like this checkered floor and the bold arrows, it adds a nice character to it.

It reminds me a bit of Ut 2004's Roughinery, a map I like for it's simplicity, but I think I like this one even more. Keep us updated!
          Thanks Basalt, glad you liked it. I never realized the Roughinery parallel but I can see it now. While it's still a shell with minimal detail, I'd like to continue the look of the map and keep the shapes relatively simple. I've been looking at some brutalism architecture for ideas. That style can be relatively simple so the challenging part will be bringing in finer details to make it look like a finished map. I still got a long way to go.

Thanks again for the comments
          DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

8/1/15: Update E: https://ut.rushbase.net/tidu/Nine/DM...wsNoEditor.pak [22.3MB]

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Update E addresses a big rendering issue introduced by the late July build. I also made some gameplay changes. The double damage was removed and replaced with a vest, to be more aligned with other duel maps. I realized that if two players play a DM (not duel) game on the map the udmg lasts for 30 seconds which basically ruins the match. I also added another route to the vest using the nearby lift. The helmet was relocated due to its proximity to the new vest. The shock area was revamped to a more simple layout with some more breathing room. Two pillars were added to the link area. It may be a little too tight in that area so they pillars may shrink in diameter.

Cosmetically I introduced more meshes, most of which are just rough shapes that have yet to be detailed. Some skybox decorations were added and the sky was tweaked a bit in response to some feedback.
            DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Interesting map! I think a little narrow corridors, make wider. Upper floor excess! I would have removed it. I think it will be better!
              Мои старые карты WIP!

Comment

I really like this map, it has a nice flow and feel to it The only thing I don't like is that it's too dark, it needs lighter textures and lightning. But apart from that it's really great!
                Win 10
                iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Originally posted by effects69 View Post
                  The only thing I don't like is that it's too dark, it needs lighter textures and lightning.
                  Can't blame him for that, the lighting changed drastically in the latest game build. Epic changed something, I wish they'd comment on if it was intentional and is going to be staying like this or if it's a bug/accident/mistake that's going to get fixed.
                  Last edited by MoxNix; 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquilon View Post
                    Interesting map! I think a little narrow corridors, make wider. Upper floor excess! I would have removed it. I think it will be better!
                    Thanks The map is small on purpose, but I did not want it to be too restrictive. There are a couple hallways that will be made larger.

Originally posted by effects69 View Post
                    I really like this map, it has a nice flow and feel to it The only thing I don't like is that it's too dark, it needs lighter textures and lightning. But apart from that it's really great!
                    Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                    Can't blame him for that, the lighting changed drastically in the latest game build. Epic changed something, I wish they'd comment on if it was intentional and is going to be staying like this or if it's a bug/accident/mistake that's going to get fixed.
                    Thanks guys. While the lighting did change last build, the map has always been a bit dark. I had larger blue lights in the previous version that I took out, and I may not have completely replaced all that light. I'm working on making it brighter. I actually prefer the new lighting in this build though it's hard to pinpoint what exactly changed besides "it got darker". But yes it would be nice to know if it is permanent or not.
                    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Just a quick update. I've been working on meshing the map. I'm planning on having a few passes, the first being covering the map with the simplest form of wall/trim/ceiling meshes and later, going back through and adding variation, cracks, etc. and making different rooms more defined. The ceiling meshes are already dizzying in some areas, this needs to be broken up

In another thread MoxNix pointed out that the lighting changed in engine 4.8 because of the default setting of r.tonefilmmapper. The screenshots below are taken with r.tonefilmmapper enabled (1) so it's a bit darker. At the moment the game is brighter (set to 0) so I will leave the lighting be, rather than spend time making it too bright. IMO It looks better too, as long as I take care of the very dark corners.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Also, the last release got a surprising amount of downloads... is this on a server somewhere?

Thanks for the interest
                      DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Hey tidu. Thanks for creating and sharing. This is available on Seniors Nirvana .sr hub

Comment

Originally posted by the_ROCK View Post
                          Hey tidu. Thanks for creating and sharing. This is available on Seniors Nirvana .sr hub
                          Hey, thanks for putting it on the server! I should have the next build uploaded soon.
                          DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Update F

Good evening, I have a new pak ready to go. It's a pretty big update aethestically, as I have meshed a majority of the map with simple meshes. I have a little ways to go before I start adding more detail to reduce the pattern of identical wall meshes over and over. There are a few gameplay tweaks as well. I'm also lucky to have the map on a couple server rotations. It is on

-=AW=- Aggressive Warriors West Coast Hub
                            Seniors Nirvana .sr

Thanks guys!

Download is here: https://ut.rushbase.net/tidu/Nine/DM...wsNoEditor.pak [77MB]

Here's a summary of the changes:

Gameplay
                            -Widened the bio room by a few hundred units to give it some more space.
                            -Added a little alcove with ammo halfway up the ramps to the flak area.
                            -Widened the hallway near the link gun.
                            -Added a route to the vest: take the only jumppad up to the catwalk. Facing towards the mini, dodge up the ramp on the left, then dodge to the right to the next slope and slide or jump onto the platform with the vest.
                            -Added a small ledge above the door with ammo between the link room and shock area.
                            -Blocked off a lot of walls and floors with blocking volumes.

Visuals
                            -I worked on brightening the map (the screenshots don't do it justice). It's more playable with post process option "r.tonemapperfilm" enabled, and very playable with it disabled. It just looks a bit washed out if that setting is disabled.
                            -Floor tiles have been converted to meshes. The reflections look much better too now that the tiles are individual polygons and not just one flat BSP plane.
                            -All ceilings have been meshed with the ceiling tile, I will work on varying these to break up the patterns.
                            -Most walls are now meshes as well.
                            -Replaced the light meshes with light sources in the ceiling tiles.
                            -Experimented with some decals and light functions as can be seen around the map
                            -Removed the "highways" backdrop in the sky, didn't really look great and I could use more sky blue and bright color in the composition

Bugs
                            -I have a lot of oddly shaped floors, so I used a mishmash of different sized meshes to fill in the floor. To fix problems with tiling I set the floor tile texture coordinates to be based on World Position Offset so they will always pattern correctly regardless of the mesh UV. This looks perfect in the editor but does not work in-game, you will see some same-color tiles next to each other.

Let me know what you think! Thanks

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                            DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Thanks tidu. It's playable on Seniors Nirvana .sr hub. The hub is down for maintenance and will be up tonight or tomorrow. I feel that I can see things better on this map and that's probably because of the brightening and updates to the floor tiles

Comment

I like the way it looks and plays! I enjoyed double wall slides and trickjumping around but unfortunately I couldn't climb the ladder, also your second screenshot: Try rotating some of the tiles differently, perhaps adding color variation. Map is compact and looks like its focused on trickjumping and wall running. I can't tell how you managed to lit your map so evenly, although there are still some dark spots (I am having problems with that on my map). Overall superb work! Keep it up!
                                For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

Working...
                                X