Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Psychosocial View Post
    Please do not correct the geometry of the map. I agree, geometry looks illogical, but it's not a problem, because playing on a map can be fun. I think that you can also come up with an interesting story. For example. This building was built by one of the first generations of building robots. During the construction of several robots, the program crashed. When people checked the progress of the building, they were very surprised by this structure and wanted to demolish it, but the Liandri's agents found out about it and bought this building for their tournament.
    Well put! Imo, the map's fine as is - quirkiness included, because those who have played it, enjoyed themselves and I haven't had a single complaint with regards to it's playability or fun factor.
    Keep Up the GoodWorks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Please do not correct the geometry of the map. I agree, geometry looks illogical, but it's not a problem, because playing on a map can be fun. I think that you can also come up with an interesting story. For example. This building was built by one of the first generations of building robots. During the construction of several robots, the program crashed. When people checked the progress of the building, they were very surprised by this structure and wanted to demolish it, but the Liandri's agents found out about it and bought this building for their tournament.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Selentic has some good points. Its often that mappers who come from Quake or earlier versions of UT tend to create block-out with brushes and then very quickly move into modelling stages without thinking of "real architecture feel". As long as geometry serves its purpose: Pure game-play the designer won't think much about adapting their creations to fit a "theme" or an "idea". Once the layout is roughly put together they will focus on small elements and individual walls instead of the map as a whole. I have the same syndrome. The best way to deal with it (in my opinion) is sketching large perspectives of your map on paper and writing down your ideas). Why? Because we work like 100 times faster on paper and we can quickly erase and change things rather then in 3D editor.

So Tidu, your workflow COULD look like this:

1. I, Tidu have an idea... I gather references and photos and write down my own thoughts and sketches
    2. I (Tidu) execute the idea in a form of 3D blocks in editor
    3. I (Tidu) make playtests and plenty of sketches based on the geometry
    4. I (Tidu) gather feedback from guys like Selentic
    5. I (Tidu) try not to make map in editor only. That means whenever I have time I think of the map and its evolving ideas. Make sketches in my notebooks and talk about the map with my friends and family so they can contribute as well
    6. Long (BUT NOT 2 YEARS FOR CHRIST SAKE!) process of developing map

Tidu: Your map looks awesome! Its just not very consistent. I am sure your next map will be even better! Keep improving!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by enioentity View Post
    Will it be available on ut marketplace to download like some of the other community maps?
    Right now the community maps are selected by the dev team and they need to be bug tested and repackaged every build, so they probably want to keep the number of maps to a minimum. But once they open up the marketplace I'd like to go through that process!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Will it be available on ut marketplace to download like some of the other community maps?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by tidu View Post
    I don't really have a good answer to your questions. Part of the reason the map ended up the way it did was because I've worked on it off and on for so long, almost two years. It went through a couple different design changes as new texture assets were made available in the editor. I never really started with a proper vision for the map which definitely shows. It's all part of my learning process. I hope it's not too distracting! I'm not done with this one yet, I just come back to it every once in a while. I'll take a step back and see if I can address some of the oddities and unify things. Thanks
    I doubt most of it can really be rectified at this point. The key issue is mostly that the geometry just doesn't make any sense as a logical structure in most of map, and this is a problem that needs to be addressed earlier on in the blockout phase before you get a finalized layout. For your next map spend time in the blockout phase building things out into believable structures, nothing detailed, but enough that you can visualize to some degree what it should look like when it's complete, and verify that it makes sense.

It helps a lot to use reference images of real environments if you're not able to just eyeball it yourself too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DutchSmoke View Post
    @[H]Hover Yes this happens when you have the shadow quality set to low in your graphics settings, a result of tidu's performance enhancing of the map-which I think helps. To fix this, just set it to medium and it should be back to normal with a slight impact on fps.
    I see what Hover is talking about, and it was not intentional. I looked into it, and I found that I accidentally changed the sunlight shadow draw distance from the default setting. Sorry about that! It'll be fixed next time.

Originally posted by TH3NUKE2025 View Post
    @tidu Pilgrim/Mica Recook please^^
    Sure I'll see if I can knock that out tonight.

Originally posted by Selentic View Post
    I can't make heads or tails of any of the geometry in this map. It looks like you just took alpha brushes, and threw random materials and details all over everything.

Why is the second half of that archway missing, why does that pillar just stop 2 meters off the ground, what is that vertical box material above the archway even supposed to be? Why is there ivy just growing on a wall? Why is there wood underneath your floor tiles when that surface is clearly made of some sort of strange concrete block?

None of your geometry or choice of materials make any sense.
    I don't really have a good answer to your questions. Part of the reason the map ended up the way it did was because I've worked on it off and on for so long, almost two years. It went through a couple different design changes as new texture assets were made available in the editor. I never really started with a proper vision for the map which definitely shows. It's all part of my learning process. I hope it's not too distracting! I'm not done with this one yet, I just come back to it every once in a while. I'll take a step back and see if I can address some of the oddities and unify things. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can't make heads or tails of any of the geometry in this map. It looks like you just took alpha brushes, and threw random materials and details all over everything.

Why is the second half of that archway missing, why does that pillar just stop 2 meters off the ground, what is that vertical box material above the archway even supposed to be? Why is there ivy just growing on a wall? Why is there wood underneath your floor tiles when that surface is clearly made of some sort of strange concrete block?

None of your geometry or choice of materials make any sense.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @tidu Pilgrim/Mica Recook please^^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @[H]Hover Yes this happens when you have the shadow quality set to low in your graphics settings, a result of tidu's performance enhancing of the map-which I think helps. To fix this, just set it to medium and it should be back to normal with a slight impact on fps.
    @tidu Neat clip you've put together here! glad that you've found the replays usefull.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by [H]Hover View Post
    Don´t know if is me but this version looks like i´m walking with a flash light in my head as im moving things get lighter...
    Hey hover, what settings are you playing on? Do you think it's too dark overall?

I edited a video showing some gameplay from a couple replays i found. Mostly [MENTION=213318]DutchSmoke[/MENTION] and his LoPing server! Check it out

https://youtu.be/CUHCax1OuZ0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don´t know if is me but this version looks like i´m walking with a flash light in my head as im moving things get lighter...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    BiGUp for the recook tidu!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks tidu!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Didn't know a new UT4 build was due out so soon! The OP has been updated with a pak that works with the latest February build.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X