DM-Nine - New pak (7/14/17) July 2017 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
    Wow, yeah it's a ton of work to figure this out. I noticed the same thing opening Outpost. There are so few point lights. I would love to see a comprehensive lighting tutorial that combines all of the interactions between between post processing, directional, skylights, reflection capture, static/stationary, material roughness etc.. All of those things interact in sometimes very bad ways which makes it hugely challenging.
    Also world settings>lightmass settings.

Outpost has 3 different post processing volumes alone, each with different auto exposure, ambient occlusion and ambient cubemap settings. It also has a number of custom (not default) lightmass settings. There are so many different ways you can do the same or nearly the same thing... And so many different ways you can mess it all up!

A comprehensive lighting tutorial would be awesome... Something that explains the decision making process and the thinking behind it. Not just what the various different options do but also when and why you should use them as well as when and why you should not use them.

But what I'd really like to see is a nice dark atmospheric map that we can use an example of how to use less bright lighting and deeper, darker shadows without making things pitch black and killing visibility.
    Last edited by MoxNix; 11-10-2015, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      Also world settings>lightmass settings.
      Doh, yeah missed that. Like you said, the problem is there are tutorials on the individual components but we really need to understand the decision making process as you mentioned e.g. "you're going for this look, then this approach should be used..".

Sorry to hijack your thread tidu ,
      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Sorry to hijack your thread tidu ,
        Haha don't worry about it. I agree that there seems to be some lighting techniques that are not well explained. And I was not aware of the separate lightmass settings. I will have to take a look at that too.

To anyone who has downloaded it and ran through it... are there any gameplay comments? Is the layout still too tight?
        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
          To anyone who has downloaded it and ran through it... are there any gameplay comments? Is the layout still too tight?
          Gameplay was pretty good. Actually surprised me, from the screenshots I was expecting it be cramped and spammy but it wasn't at all like that.

However, I like the shield belt and 100 armor placement in version F much more than in G2.
          Last edited by MoxNix; 11-12-2015, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
            Gameplay was pretty good. Actually surprised me, from the screenshots I was expecting it be cramped and spammy but it wasn't at all like that.

However, I like the shield belt and 100 armor placement in version F much more than in G2.
            Hmm okay I'll think about that. There are pros and cons to each, I did like the original vest placement but that was bumped because the belt was moved so close. I think the poor bot pathing around that lift may have influenced me moving the belt. And after a few rounds I realized the current placement of the vest isn't very risky. I like sniping the bots with a shock core from below but I imagine it would be very difficult to predict a human player grabbing it. I'll play with that a bit. Thanks for the comments!
            DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Very nice looking map and will be testing it soon with others. TY for putting this up!
              Locked & Loaded on the LoPing Arena server.
              LoPing
              Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Hey tidu, I've played this several times now on my server and I have to say it feels just a tad too small relative to UT4's movement. I've been feeling that and now more than once, I have had people that have joined my server and have mentioned "too small" or "cramped". Everything else about the map shouts "work of art" though. Have you ever considered dropping Rattlesnake's map scaler in and scaling it up a little?
                Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I prefer Nine_F over this latest iteration. It just felt like a nicer flow to me at least. The extra sections in this one change that flow a bit and also there is some ambient noise that is very distracting on this latest version. I wonder what others think.

Comment

Have you ever considered dropping Rattlesnake's map scaler in and scaling it up a little?
                    I have considered it, though I don't know much about it. If it works the way I think it does, it will likely be a last step because meshing will be very difficult when everything is off the grid and scaled by a small factor. I may branch this off into a scaled version for testing, and another version where I can complete the visuals and then scale everything at the end. I played it on a server before and the only feedback I got was "this sucks" then they ragequit haha

Originally posted by the_ROCK View Post
                    I prefer Nine_F over this latest iteration. It just felt like a nicer flow to me at least. The extra sections in this one change that flow a bit and also there is some ambient noise that is very distracting on this latest version. I wonder what others think.
                    Thanks I'll keep this in mind. Maybe the change in weapon and belt placement contributed to this. I can't recall the noise you mentioned but I'll track it down. I did a rough pass with ambient sounds so there's certainly some refinement that can be done.
                    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                      I have considered it, though I don't know much about it. If it works the way I think it does, it will likely be a last step because meshing will be very difficult when everything is off the grid and scaled by a small factor. I may branch this off into a scaled version for testing, and another version where I can complete the visuals and then scale everything at the end.
                      If you pick your scaling factors carefully you can keep everything, or at least most of it, on grid. Of course that means you don't have as fine control over the exact scale but it's workable. Just do the math to turn say 35 uu into 40 uu or whatever works best for you and use that. If it's not quite perfect you can at least get it closer to where you want it and you can still do a small final scaling pass as that "last step".

Also, they fixed aligning brush vertices a while back. It works really well to get individual brushes back on grid again. Fantastic for trim brushes or other other brushes (mostly smaller brushes if you picked a good scaling factor) that after scaling wind up just a little off grid (2.5 uu or less)... Just align them one brush at a time, not all at once, that gets messy.
                      Last edited by MoxNix; 12-15-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

G2

Well Tidu, I must say you really made an excellent map, really like it

- Only thing that need work imho is the lighting. Sunlight is to dark for a day map. Some spots are pretty much pitch black. So I suggest you raise the overall lighting a bit.
                        - Lighting wise, the map need a bit more light sources in some spots using a complementary color.
                        - I may be a good idea to try adding some light inside the concrete tunnel / drain you have all around the map. We see that in sewers (light fixed on the ceiling). By adding light (neon-like) behind the bars and adjusting their radius wide enough, it will light the surrounding outside, providing a complementary light, add shadows and more color to the level.

I would take screenshot if only the function was working Don't have anything else at the moment.

Keep up the excellent work
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps
                        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

when come H2?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                            when come H2?
                            Hi Chris,

ich gehe davon aus das die Map H04 heisst, und die 04 nicht auf die Versionsnummer bezogen ist ist

Comment

ne ich meine Nine H2

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                                Well Tidu, I must say you really made an excellent map, really like it

- Only thing that need work imho is the lighting. Sunlight is to dark for a day map. Some spots are pretty much pitch black. So I suggest you raise the overall lighting a bit.
                                - Lighting wise, the map need a bit more light sources in some spots using a complementary color.
                                - I may be a good idea to try adding some light inside the concrete tunnel / drain you have all around the map. We see that in sewers (light fixed on the ceiling). By adding light (neon-like) behind the bars and adjusting their radius wide enough, it will light the surrounding outside, providing a complementary light, add shadows and more color to the level.

I would take screenshot if only the function was working Don't have anything else at the moment.

Keep up the excellent work
                                Thanks for the kind words! I agree regarding the lighting. I have been focusing on my other map recently and learned a lot about lighting partial outdoor spaces. I think I can take what I learned and overhaul the lighting in this map to improve visibility.

Originally posted by Chris UT4 View Post
                                when come H2?
                                Hi Chris, it should be a few weeks. I have been waiting for the new release (4.11) because it will require a new version of the map anyway. In addition to the lighting i mentioned above, the next release will likely be a small change of scale. Also I will move the belt back to where it was in version F. Thank you for the interest
                                DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Working...
                                X