• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Athenaeum

New map name: DM-Athenaeum
    Axon Research Corporation Library

Story:
    In a world where information is heavily controlled and restricted, the Axon Research Corporation 'Library' is a highly contested information access point.

Aesthetic Theme:
    Elements of neoclassicism introduced into dense urban overgrowth. Beyond that, not sure what additional styles or influences will be incorporated yet. Am a fan of organic growth in design development, so will see where this ends up.

Will try and keep some updated concept art here as level develops. The concept art is a field i'm still learning more about, and am open to suggestions regarding technique or design communication.

05/19/2015
    Download link:
    [updated link to v8]

*Central core has been installed
    *Improved access to the redeemer
    *A few more health vials scattered about
    *Ramps from central core to mid level areas
    *more lift jumps
    *flipped a bunch of normals
    *added more collision where it was missing (but still lots of ways to escape map...in process of fixing perimeter)
    *jump boots added to a new more engaging south east portion of map
    *more lighting schemes to study and starting to look more at texture, although i don't think moldy concrete is going to cut it for this map

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process31.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	357270

05/16/2015
    Alternate color scheme

Name:	HS_UT_process30.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	357227

05/01/2015
    I create a lot of Point-Line-Plane art studies, and decided to evolve one for use in UT.

Some early process:

Name:	HS_UT_process01.jpg
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	357073 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process02.jpg
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	357074 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process03.jpg
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	357075

Name:	HS_UT_process04.jpg
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	357076 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process05.jpg
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	357077 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process06.jpg
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	357078

Name:	HS_UT_process07.jpg
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	357079 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process08.jpg
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	357080 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process09.jpg
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	357081

Name:	HS_UT_process10.jpg
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	357082 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process11.jpg
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	357083 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process12.jpg
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	357084

Next steps include lifts/jump pads, flow testing, LOS and spawn point balancing, and if all goes well I'll start painting & lighting...
    Last edited by _Lynx; 06-28-2015, 11:05 AM. Reason: Updated Link
    http://earthborninteractive.com
    DM-Athenaeum

PLP_001 Flow Control - Rev01

Initial flow test for PLP_001. Some pros and cons immediately noticed. Extremes between long-range and short-range combat. Mid-range won't work so well in this map. Corridors are a bit tight, so I'll either widen them or build in more exit points. Generally there aren't many dead ends, so flow works pretty well. LoS favors sniper combat a little too much, however high points are extremely vulnerable at the moment. Still need to include lifts for this mid-size map so the upper level is more accessible naturally.

DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Increased corridor sizes, improved connections to mid & high ground, and scouted some potential vista points to serve as base images for lighting and painting concepts. Here are a few shots from those scout points. Right now there seems to be an inadvertent zoning cap of the building mass height around the perimeter, but in the long run, that may serve as a decent transition into the background imagery.

Name:	HS_UT_process14.jpg
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	337751 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process15.jpg
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	337752 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process16.jpg
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	337753

Name:	HS_UT_process17.jpg
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	337754 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process18.jpg
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	337755 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process19.jpg
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	337756

and felt like doing some basic light washing to begin with color palette testing...

Name:	HS_UT_process20.jpg
Size:	431.4 KB
ID:	337795
      Last edited by paradoc; 05-04-2015, 10:36 PM.
      DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Managed to put a couple more hours into this. Modified the geometry a bit based on the last run through and have things running a little smoother / more intuitive now. Also splashed some light into the scene to start studying the look and feel of the environment from a visual standpoint. Throughout the next phase of development will be further defining floor from wall with accent lighting/graphics and adjusting pickup placement as I learn more about pickup placement common practices.

DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Beginning to build the backdrop. Additionally, to make things easier with detailing, I've broken down the level into 3 basic zones. Hopefully this will help manage pickup placement, guide-way pathing, and potentially mesh clustering when I start deconstructing meshes for optimization.
          Zone01 covers low, mid and high ground but is fairly vulnerable at most points. Zone02 includes mostly mid and high ground with a lot of cover opportunities. Zone03 is primarily low and high ground and will most likely be a focal point as this is where the sniper rifle will be placed.

Name:	HS_UT_process21a.jpg
Size:	603.6 KB
ID:	337836 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process21b.jpg
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	337837

Name:	HS_UT_process21c.jpg
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	337838 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process21d.jpg
Size:	691.2 KB
ID:	337839
          Last edited by paradoc; 05-07-2015, 12:43 AM.
          DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Can't believe I only saw this map today!

I must say, I was skeptical, but then I saw your video showing the map and was completely hooked on it. This is very different from what I am used to see around here, and in a positive way! It feels really fresh. Anxious to test it!

At first I thought it wouldn't suit UT gameplay, but then I saw your short corridors and the claustrophobic feeling you get from it, and was pleased to see a really good balance between the outdoor and the interiors. When you go outdoor, it feels a little big right now (only from the video though), so I can't really say if you should tweak the scale of it or not. It feels massive in comparison to the corridors, but I think it has a good vibe. But for sure, pay attention to the scale.

This map would work great for CTF too with some changes.

Ah and great architecture, i really liked the design. It could work really awesomely good in a Cyberpunk theme

work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post

At first I thought it wouldn't suit UT gameplay, but then I saw your short corridors and the claustrophobic feeling you get from it, and was pleased to see a really good balance between the outdoor and the interiors. When you go outdoor, it feels a little big right now (only from the video though), so I can't really say if you should tweak the scale of it or not. It feels massive in comparison to the corridors, but I think it has a good vibe. But for sure, pay attention to the scale.

This map would work great for CTF too with some changes.

Ah and great architecture, i really liked the design. It could work really awesomely good in a Cyberpunk theme
              thanks for the feedback @HeisenbergTrip!
              yeah, I agree with your outdoor/indoor comparison in that outdoors might be a little spacious at the moment. when I begin to mesh out the architecture a bit more, I may try and influence line of sight using architectural modules incorporated into the map. If that doesn't work, then the scale will probably need to be modified per your thoughts.

and speaking of architecture, you hit it pretty spot on. with the first color wash and building massing, i've been moving more and more toward cyberpunk. the challenge here would be painting the environment with enough contrast to really differentiate between background and foreground so the environment doesn't distract from gameplay too much.

where'd you find that image by the way? a great reference. I've been collecting a handful of cyberpunk city images for inspiration, but haven't come across that one.
              DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Another run through studying level layout. Guideway lighting helps considerably. Still not really sure about pickup placement. Tweaked some geometry throughout the level and will continue to do so to get things really smooth before detailing the mesh work. No sound in this video, as I forgot to turn off spotify during recording and I didn't have time to retake the video.

DM-Athenaeum

Comment

I was scrolling: https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/neon-city

Then I found that one. Neon City is a good word to see some cyberpunk stuff.

Guideway lightning is a serious improvement. You should do some "trick" jumps for the map. Some Good Walldodge, and lift-jumps to get a certain weapon. That sort of thing. Also, try to not make the map look so busy, but that can be achieved with the mesh work, so i'll wait for that one

Comment

Originally posted by HeisenbergTrip View Post
                    Guideway lightning is a serious improvement. You should do some "trick" jumps for the map. Some Good Walldodge, and lift-jumps to get a certain weapon. That sort of thing. Also, try to not make the map look so busy, but that can be achieved with the mesh work, so i'll wait for that one
                    Thanks again. this feedback is helpful. I've updated geometry to be a little cleaner, and included some modifications for lift jump opportunities.

Next steps in the works: breaking out the background buildings into a kit of parts. Rather than design upwards of 15 unique buildings (which would actually be quite enjoyable if I had like 15 years to design them), I'm going to develop a kit of 'cyberpunk parts' that allows me to reconstruct the massing of the buildings using modular and detailed parts. Who knows, if all goes well, and nothing hits the marketplace in the meantime, maybe i'll propose the cyberpunk kit of building parts for the UE4 marketplace too...

Name:	HS_UT_process22.jpg
Size:	760.8 KB
ID:	337875 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process23.jpg
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	337876
                    DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Im guessing no meshes will hit the marketplace for quite some time (especially cyperpunk themed). So you will have plenty of success on that part and this map will map will be a excellent showcase.

Keep it going and keep us posted!

Comment

Pretty solid day of organizing the mess of meshes I created and beginning to block out the cyberpunk city modules...

Name:	HS_UT_process24.jpg
Size:	687.0 KB
ID:	337890 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process25a.jpg
Size:	595.9 KB
ID:	337891 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process25b.jpg
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	337892

Name:	HS_UT_process25c.jpg
Size:	571.4 KB
ID:	337893 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process25d.jpg
Size:	532.4 KB
ID:	337894
                        DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Tron City !

Looks great, keep it up .
                          My portfolio : krystian.krissart.pl
                          My UT map (WIP) : Tropical Tower

Comment

****, this looks really promising! What scheme of colors are you going to use?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissx2 View Post
                              Tron City !

Looks great, keep it up .
                              thanks! somehow i always end up building tron stuff. when i get the mesh stuff worked out, hopefully it will look more like a grungy overpopulated city with issues. built a couple procedural building blueprints to start instantiating the background buildings. will include more variance in the long run, but here are a few shots from the start of the process...

Name:	HS_UT_process26a.jpg
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	337919 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process26b.jpg
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	337920 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process26c.jpg
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	337921

Not sure about color scheme yet. the blue and purple hits cliche cyberpunk styles, but not sure if that fits with the UT theme, so might go with a rougher look.

[EDIT] A few more shots with the background content migrated into instantiated procedural spline work to create optimized skyscrapers. haven't created any of the doodads yet, and there is some clear lack of logic in the placement of certain models, but for the most part it's looking more like a city with a ridiculous scale. The background/sky sphere is from restricted assets folder and is a placeholder at the moment.

Name:	HS_UT_process27a.jpg
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	337924 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process27b.jpg
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	337925 Click image for larger version

Name:	HS_UT_process27c.jpg
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	337926
                              Last edited by paradoc; 05-11-2015, 12:46 AM.
                              DM-Athenaeum

Comment

Working...
                              X