[WIP] CTF-Azcanize

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] [WIP] CTF-Azcanize

CTF-Azcanize was/is an extremely popular map in UT1 normal weapons CTF. I decided that it was worth remaking from scratch, specifically scaled and designed for the next UT. I want to thank the creators of the original CTF-Azcanize Xsjado & HumaK, jayoplus for his door blueprint, and TimEh for helping with textures.

This is still a work in progress, so expect updates based on feedback I receive from the forums and playtesting.

DOWNLOAD Updated: 2/3/2016
    I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

New on WIPv19:
    -Massive file size increase
    -Skipped v18
    -No other changes really, should probably have went down in size.

New on WIPv17:
    -Don't really remember.
    -Minigun ammo reduced or something
    -Probably some lighting and perf improvements
    -Added new spectator cams, check out the one over Mid

New in WIPv16:
    -Random new **** broken!
    -Updated for most recent build
    -Arbitrarily darker!
    -**** you!

New in WIPv15a:
    -Fixed a problem caused by flag file mismatch

New in WIPv15:
    -New Flags!
    -Completely unrealistic moon added
    -Updated for 4.8
    -New mountain texture (don't worry it still looks bad)
    -Misc other corrections and additions

New in WIPv14:
    -Readded blue thighpads that were accidentally deleted
    -Added a new box mesh (FIRST MESH EVER, HOLY ****)
    -Tweaked lighting brightness/intensity in several areas to give an overall more consistent feel
    -Misc. decorations

New in WIPv12:
    -Changed the lighting around a lot... still not happy with it, but should be brighter and less flat
    -Added some decals
    -Added blocking volumes around the box meshes to fix them for raxxy's servers
    -small other fixes and corrections

New in WIPv11:
    -Changed post processing settings to reduce brightness of emissive textures and effects
    -Rebuilt nav volume
    -Replaced some missing textures on a few surfaces

Some background: CTF-Azcanize is a relatively straight forward, symmetrical CTF map. Combat balance generally leans towards hitscan weapons. In a 5v5 game, each team will have two defenders, with one defender guarding the flag and the other player in the armor room guarding the front door. Normally one person will play midfield, helping with returns, timing the mid powerups, and push into the enemy base if they have amp. The last two players will focus on grabbing the flag, either working with each other or cherry picking to throw the enemy defense off balance.

New concept art by Forge (thank you!):

The process to fully mesh this map has begun. I still need some more concept art to cover some of the other substantial portions of the map (the flag rooms and mid), but I'm glad to have taken the first step towards that goal. For the time being there will probably be very few changes made to the map until I've meshed the majority of the map. Also, not that anyone cares, but I've started to construct some lore for the map as well. I will post more once I've finalized the description.

Current map:

Click image for larger version

Name:	c044262cf1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	357277

Name:	500d397300.jpg
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	357278

Name:	f15fed7e89.jpg
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	357279

Name:	397af0452c.jpg
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	357280

Name:	efef610e84.jpg
Size:	505.1 KB
ID:	357281

Name:	30c320d4a4.jpg
Size:	473.5 KB
ID:	357282

Name:	eddd15b7e7.jpg
Size:	488.5 KB
ID:	357283

Name:	35005e2b2e.jpg
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	357284

Leave a comment if you've got a suggestion or some feedback. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cafe; 02-03-2016, 07:13 PM.

Played a little on it. I like the "cleanness", also transloc feels strangely good on it!
    Flag rooms could be made a little more interesting maybe. Would love to play it, but for some reason are 90% of the peeps playing atm, playing DM on tuba all day erry. ^^

Comment

Cool, I loved this map in UT so I'm glad to see it coming back.
      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Looking sharp cafe. I'll give it a run through when I get back.

Comment

Textures are too bland. Feels weird.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
            Textures are too bland. Feels weird.
            I will consider your concerns as part of my consideration. I hope this addresses your concerns and consternation concerning the visual design in this map. Thank you.

Comment

This is going to be awesome.

Creator of NewNet for UT99

Comment

^^^This is the kind of feedback I like to see. You should take notes Raxxy.

Comment

Originally posted by timbur View Post
                  This is going to be awesome.

QFT.
                  Does my post get a +1?
                  MyArtstation
                  @jayoplus

Comment

Of course jayo, I was thinking of getting a copy of substance + bmp2material. What do you think?

+1 btw 8)

Comment

BTW, I already fixed a bunch of stuff in the map. I'll update it when I get home later today.

Comment

Nice work dude! I like some of the subtle changes you made while sticking with the overall original layout. Any way we could test this tonight? I was planning on streaming and this would be a cool to look at and discuss if people are interested.
                        Former CEVO-TV CS:GO Commentator (CEVO)
                        Owned Well Co-Founder/Commentator
                        Major League Unreal Tournament Co-Founder
                        Twitch.TV | YouTube | Twitter

Comment

Yeah, definitely. I'm sure we can get 10 people together for a play test. I'd aim for doing it at around 9 PM EST. Epic staff are always welcome to show up as well, I promise we will make the teams fair 8)

Comment

Might want to consider rebalancing the health pickups in the flag rooms. Having four plus four vials in UT1 was not abnormal, but that was also 20 less HP worth of health packs than it is in this game. Made it very easy to hold the room imo.

It also feels overall very open. The scaling is fine, all the dodges and jumps are pretty much the perfect distance, but the majority of the map, upper levels especially, has very little cover. It wasn't as bad in UT because you could dodge more easily, but it feels very hitscan dominated right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X