CTF-Mine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] CTF-Mine

Hey guys, I just added a new asymmetrical CTF shell. Depot only for now but will make it into our next build.

After BigRock I wanted to take a step away from doing big outdoor midfields and see if I can come up with something tighter and more claustrophobic that still reads and plays well. In trying to also cover more thematical ground in our shells an industrial/mine setting seemed like a good fit. The midfield should feel snug but not overbearing and still allow for plenty of room to maneuver. I also wanted to provide a nice easy tell for navigating that midfield, hence the mine cart track running from one base to the other. A lot of this again is not what you would traditionally expect from a standard CTF layout though I believe pushing asymmetrical more has a lot of potential and I hope that people can keep an open mind about it.

We playtested an initial version of this on sunday at the community event here at Epic and I've taken some of that initial feedback and worked it into the current version. Looking forward to hearing more!

Some screenshots and thoughts:

The Pit (Flagbase A)
    Slow elevator on the right (with two options to juke) vs combination of jump pads on the left or translocating straight to the top. Jumpboots at the end of the cart tracks underneath the flag. Murky water at the bottom saves flag runners from fall damage, hides players, and contains a shield belt. Exit options are high (tracks) and low (water to ground transition). Health is scarce but the back of the base provides some good opportunities for carriers to hide out. My goal was to make this base hard to approach and get to the flag but then make it rewarding (yet still fragile and dangerous) to escape. I imagined a fun way of doing that would be escaping from relatively high up and provide a few options on the way down/out.

Midfield
    Continued high & low paths with some opportunities to cross over. Following the tracks will always get you to base A or B. Has UDamage and some health that requires minor detours to snag while on a flagrun.

Low path is faster but requires flagrunners to pass through some water (which can actually benefit speed when dodging, you get a nice little boost when diving in) and is much more vulnerable/open to fire. Especially from above.

Processing Entrance (Flagbase B)
    Designed to be a heavy choke. As a flagrunner you are forced to show yourself when crossing high. Escaping the base low is meant to be difficult without support and/or items. Returning to the base as a flag runner offers some wall slide/dodge opportunity in combination with boots.

Processing (Flagbase B)
    The flag sits on a tall structure and is protected by a cylindrical version of the Weapon Shield that is also used in CTF-BigRock. The ideas was to create interesting standoffs between defense and offense on the high path and potential for chaotic cherry picking/capping when riding up the elevator. The vents above the base can be shot through - as a countermeasure to defenders camping behind the shield (this was added after the initial community playtest). The language definitely needs some work to identify this properly, I'm open for suggestions! Escaping this base is meant to be tough - as a tradeoff most defenders will spawn towards the back of the base, so once you fought your way through the initial wave you get a small amount of reprieve on the way out.
    Attached Files

Although we only played it a couple of times at the event this past weekend, this map is a lot of fun! The red flag is much more difficult to grab, but it's easier to get out of the red flag room and cover your FC while the blue flag has a much easier approach but a more difficult exit. I'm going to try and load this up and do a run-through and provide some feedback if I can think of some. Thanks Sid!
    Former CEVO-TV CS:GO Commentator (CEVO)
    Owned Well Co-Founder/Commentator
    Major League Unreal Tournament Co-Founder
    Twitch.TV | YouTube | Twitter

Comment

Yesss, finally! Was tired of the outdoor maps
      work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

The midfield is really nice. Required some communication on where flag runner was going but not in a a bad way. The U damage room works nicely to cut players off, but it felt a little cramped for a major pickup. I don't know if the slight ramp to the top of that area is slope dodge-able but if it isn't it should be.

Wasn't a massive fan of the processing base, as I said at the time I feel it lacks an other entrance somewhere, or at the very least making the position of the ramp more obvious when you're running around the centre spire with the flag trying to find your way out while dodging. The updated windows above the flag look more readable than on Monday (don't know if you changed them, but they also now look translockable). The lift is a nice touch; keeping it relatively slow is nice but the whole room feels like 200-400 too high. Feels very tall when translocing around especially since the central lift is so slow. There's also the current lift bug but that's temporary.

Pit base is really nice, lots of access routes and run paths. The drop is a risk, but rewarding if you can pull it off. Major issue I have here is was getting out of the water and the shield belt placement. Without the current pickup timers and with some underwater effects it would be a real pain to find and get unless you know it's there. That the complex closed midfield makes it a little tough on new players. Once everyone has played it a few times however it plays nicely. The boots placement is nice. As an attacker it's tricky to grab them, then the flag, and use them to escape; but they allow defenders to reposition quickly.

Fun map, felt a lot closer and more dynamic than bigrock. Demanded more communication and didn't bog down as much. Major issue was the processing base shield. Looking forward to playing this again soon.

Comment

I had a pretty great time playing this with you guys this weekend. I really like the build up to the Red base. The over head bridges are really cool, so much Z access I can't wait to play it with the Chaos grappling hook.
          My only critique is that it took me the entire match just to figure out where the blue flag was located. This may be intentional but compared to the red base its just way less obvious.
          Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
          Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
            I had a pretty great time playing this with you guys this weekend. I really like the build up to the Red base. The over head bridges are really cool, so much Z access I can't wait to play it with the Chaos grappling hook.
            My only critique is that it took me the entire match just to figure out where the blue flag was located. This may be intentional but compared to the red base its just way less obvious.
            I had exactly the same problem. It was really challenging leaving the red base and knowing where to go intuitively. Very easy to get lost on the far side of mid if you didn't start on the blue side.

The shield around the flag is interesting but mostly frustrating. It makes any kind of defense inside the flag room next to impossible. Also, the height of the stand/lift/platforms in that room accentuates how slow and unintuitive the TL disc works right now. It is a huge challenge getting from the bottom of the red flag room to the top without trying to get on the janky lift around the flag stand

Overall it was pretty fun so maybe with some more tweaking it will be good and there were definitely several areas I really enjoyed fighting in.
            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

new Build version is due for next week only

Comment

Looks awesome! I was wondering why we now have a mine cart mesh in the editor
                Win 10
                iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

It might be a noob question, but is this shield/force field that protects red flag available anywhere? I saw it before in Big Rock map, and I could really use it for my map right now. Any help would be apreciated.
                  Also, awesome map, can't wait to see it finished.

DM-Temple of the Sun

DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

Comment

Originally posted by jonzie23 View Post
                    It might be a noob question, but is this shield/force field that protects red flag available anywhere? I saw it before in Big Rock map, and I could really use it for my map right now. Any help would be apreciated.
                    Also, awesome map, can't wait to see it finished.

It looks like a red version of M_TeamDeco_WeaponShield default is white just edit the base colour and make it red or blue <- make a new version of it dont edit the master copy
                    Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
                    Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
                    Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

Comment

****, thank you, I don't know how could I've missed it.
                      DM-Temple of the Sun

DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

Comment

This looks like the kind of map that could have been on UT99 due to the unusual yet familiar theme and I like that.

Comment

I demand moving carts that instakill on player collision!

On a more serious note, I think this is a great map for lava traps, or a place that mines for minerals used in biorifle ammo.
                          3d Artist
                          UT Cosmetic Items |
                          UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

I don't know if the slight ramp to the top of that area is slope dodge-able but if it isn't it should be.
                            It is

The updated windows above the flag look more readable than on Monday (don't know if you changed them, but they also now look translockable). The lift is a nice touch; keeping it relatively slow is nice but the whole room feels like 200-400 too high. Feels very tall when translocing around especially since the central lift is so slow. There's also the current lift bug but that's temporary.
                            I made the bars a little thinner. Won't be able to transloc through there yet. Currently transloc disc is treated like a pawn to provide other bad things from happening (reasonably safe to assume you don't want the disc in a place you don't want the player to be) but it will need another workaround from Matt. Blank windows of doom are still broken for that reason as well because I can't block players from passing without also blocking the disc..

The lift works fine now - for some reason the default shell resource cylinder mesh had some really wonky collision on it which caused some very subtle slants in a few spots that were enough to trigger the lift to think it was encroaching on the player.

The shield around the flag is interesting but mostly frustrating. It makes any kind of defense inside the flag room next to impossible. Also, the height of the stand/lift/platforms in that room accentuates how slow and unintuitive the TL disc works right now. It is a huge challenge getting from the bottom of the red flag room to the top without trying to get on the janky lift around the flag stand
                            I got some feedback at the event that mentioned the exact opposite - people felt it was too easy to defend the flag from behind the shield. The vents at the top should make either situation more interesting hopefully, personally like the dynamic it creates regardless but we'll see what more testing will tell. Somewhat agree with the rest though I want to see how it plays with the recent changes (and non janky lift) first.

It's a variant of BP_TeamDeco (you don't want to just grab the mesh/material as that wouldn't have any of the functionality you presumably want), just search for that name in the content browser.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Comment

Could you upload a PAK file or at least a guide/link to a guide as to where I should clone the git repo to?
                              My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

Working...
                              X