X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Sidewinder

CTF-Sidewinder

--- Server Admin Info at bottom of this post. ---

New Build released April 16, 2016, ready for Epic Hubs. The screenshot was updated to use the WIP shell outline set to "UI" as per Clawfist's specifications and I made some lighting tweaks and increased the overall brightness on the map, assuming that people use the default Gamma 2. I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Sidewinder offers some Z-axis and slope fighting options, and it might become better known as "Sniper's Paradise". I think it would make a good Instagib map. You can take a shortcut between the flags, but it's a high-risk, spammy corridor. This is an original map; it doesn't have a UT99 predecessor. It should play well with 8-12 players.

As of the current build, special thanks to CFandM (Chuck) and Hourences for the use of their textures.

New Build released April 16, 2016 Map Download available here: Whippersnapper at Rushbase

-- Server Admin Info ---

MapRotation=/Game/Maps/CTF-Highpoint/CTF-Sidewinder-160416
    RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-Sidewinder-160416-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageURLProtocol="http",
    PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper/CTF-Sidewinder-160416-WindowsNoEditor.pak"
    PackageChecksum="74084e1bcf2f5713e0b861681a013ee2")

File Path on My Computer: D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Sidewinder\CTF-Sidewinder-160416.umap

My Rushbase: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper

Map Direct Download link: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapp...wsNoEditor.pak
    Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 03-12-2018, 04:51 PM.
    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Simple map layout. Reminds me a little of a very direct gameplay map like CTF-HallOfGiants. However maybe you could consider implementing my suggestions to increase gameplay fun on this map.

Suggestion 1:
    Move arched corridor and make it shorter. Time to travel is way too long as it is now and it is not really a shortcut even when it ends directly at the flag bases.

Suggestion 2:
    Arch middle bridge to decrease visibility of incoming enemies. This will make it less easy for snipers to pick kills and increase chance for anybody to actually move towards the enemy flag.

Cheers :>
    Attached Files
    Maps: [UT4] DM-1on1-Electro HurtDM-UT4TOURNEY | [UT3] DM-1on1-Phosphor | [UT2k3] BR-Egypt (RIP) | [UT] DM-1on1-Phosphor

Comment

Originally posted by waffl3head View Post
      Simple map layout. Reminds me a little of a very direct gameplay map like CTF-HallOfGiants. However maybe you could consider implementing my suggestions to increase gameplay fun on this map.
      It's definitely a simple "gameplay" map, but nothing like the monster-sized CTF-HallOfGiants (which someone needs to remake for UT4). It reminds me more of CTF-K-Lined. My original intent was really to have a thinnish map but with increasingly high plateaus on either side of the central axis separated by slopes, but it ended up being far too wide. I might consider making an L-shaped map with the plateaus/slopes on just one side in order to keep it thin while still having the rising plateaus. Possible future project.

Suggestion 1: Move arched corridor and make it shorter. Time to travel is way too long as it is now and it is not really a shortcut even when it ends directly at the flag bases.
      I gave that a lot of thought. I had been thinking of having a curved corridor with the entrances/exits where the central bridges are, but I really wanted to keep the game play focused on the center of the map. I concluded that if someone wants to risk taking that long narrow corridor as a means of sneaking up on the opposing flag (or escaping with it) or to get powerups/ammo (it has health vials and the Keg-O-Health is at the center) then they will have to risk getting spammed to death in a tight corridor.

Suggestion 2: Arch middle bridge to decrease visibility of incoming enemies. This will make it less easy for snipers to pick kills and increase chance for anybody to actually move towards the enemy flag.
      I really like this idea, for aesthetic reasons, and it might help alleviate some of the sniping.
      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
        I really wanted to keep the game play focused on the center of the map.
        But by providing this long corridor you split the gameplay into two very extreme opposites out of which one is not "fun" to play. I mean, it's your map and all but try to think about why having long, level and empty corridors is not a thing in any official map in any game ever ;-)

Glad you liked my other suggestion though. Looking forward to future releases.
        Maps: [UT4] DM-1on1-Electro HurtDM-UT4TOURNEY | [UT3] DM-1on1-Phosphor | [UT2k3] BR-Egypt (RIP) | [UT] DM-1on1-Phosphor

Comment

Originally posted by waffl3head View Post
          But by providing this long corridor you split the gameplay into two very extreme opposites out of which one is not "fun" to play. I mean, it's your map and all but try to think about why having long, level and empty corridors is not a thing in any official map in any game ever ;-)
          Which one is "not fun"? Many people enjoyed spammy corridors in UT99. Maps such as CTF-CarPark and CTF-Burning were well-liked by some people. In contrast, not everyone enjoys an open map with such a heavy-duty hitscan emphasis. The way I see it, if you don't like spammy corridors, you aren't forced to go into it.

I rebuilt the map with more of an arch in the middle; this should reduce the sight ranges for sniping somewhat. It's not as obtrusive as what you suggested in your modified screenshot, but I didn't want to completely obstruct things. I also tweaked a couple lights. The Beta-002 build has it now:

Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 03-12-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I just released a new build of Sidewinder and my other three maps. The AI works now! I had a nice challenge in single player with the default bot skill. (Maybe that makes me a noob, lol.) It's a tough but potentially wild game play map.

Comment

Looks very interesting.

I do like the simple maps.
              Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

I love this design mate! It reminds me of U-turn

Comment

New Build released 04/16/2015, ready for Epic Hubs! The screenshot was updated to use the WIP shell outline with the texture set to "UI" as per Clawfist's specifications, and I made some lighting tweaks and increased the overall brightness on the map, assuming that people use the default Gamma 2.

Map Download available here: Whippersnapper at Rushbase

--- Server Admin Info ---

MapRotation=/Game/Maps/CTF-Highpoint/CTF-Sidewinder-160416
                  RedirectReferences=(PackageName="CTF-Sidewinder-160416-WindowsNoEditor.pak", PackageURLProtocol="http",
                  PackageURLProtocol="http", PackageURL="ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper/CTF-Sidewinder-160416-WindowsNoEditor.pak"
                  PackageChecksum="74084e1bcf2f5713e0b861681a013ee2")

File Path on My Computer: D:\UT4 Editor\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\Maps\CTF-Sidewinder\CTF-Sidewinder-160416.umap

My Rushbase: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapper

Map Direct Download link: https://ut.rushbase.net/Whippersnapp...wsNoEditor.pak

Comment

Working...
                  X