DM-Gael

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Gael

Alright, so I know that someone else has a remake of Gael in progress, or did a couple months ago, but I went ahead and made my own version as well. While working on my own map, I started to have a lot of questions about materials and meshing, and figured that the best answer would be to spend a week making a small, simple level using assets from the older UT games combined with new features from UT4's engine.

I'm relatively pleased with the results, and had enough fun on the map that I felt like I could justify releasing it to the general public for anyone who wants to play. I tried to stay as close to the original as possible in most situations, even when it meant using lower-quality assets, except where UE4's new features were concerned.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Here's the Download. Any and all feedback is appreciated, though I'm mostly looking for show-stopping bugs right now, I'm probably only going to wait a few days before final release.

Barring any unforeseen issues, most of the rest of the work is going to go into cleaning up the materials and trying to get the random powerup spawner in the center to work. On that note, if anyone has any experience with blueprints and can suggest how to get started on that, I'd be much obliged. I watched the tutorial videos on blueprints and don't feel any closer to understanding how to do more than the most very basic things.
    Last edited by aniviron; 10-23-2015, 08:16 PM.

Pretty neat. I like the materials and ambiance. I'll give it a try to test visibility and stuff later.

Comment

If there's any interest, I'd be more than happy to release the materials and meshes used to make this. The meshes probably aren't going to be of much use to anyone, but some of the materials hold up reasonably well.

Comment

Yeah definitely, if you don't mind

Comment

Gael in UE 4 Headshot bääm cool

Comment

Very nice! It feels a lot like the original, really great job!

A few suggestions.

Some areas like the lifts and corners of the map are to dark and will make it very easy for people to camp.
            The trim meshes have some stretched textures on them.
            Win 10
            iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
            3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
            32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
            DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
            2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Some of the materials are a little too shiny, it's all looking very plastic wrapped.

Nice otherwise

Comment

Yes, it is looking very nice already! You can instantly see a difference in quality to UT2004.

I have to agree with NATO that the materials will need some more tweaking as they are now, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to fix those tiny issues.
                For the stone floor tiles, I would suggest an increase of roughness, they look very wet. The ceiling texture (the one below the first floor) could need a higher metal shine and less bumps/scratches in the normalmap and the metal floor will need a specular mask of some sort (I would suggest a dirt mask) and cleaner defined shapes of these knobs in the normal map. The stone walls look fine to me, same goes with the rusted metal walls in the lift area.

I would suggest to experiment a bit with what I suggested and see if that improves the visuals of the materials.
                Looking forward to where you will take this!
                Last edited by Sly.; 05-11-2015, 03:30 PM.
                S l y .

Comment

wow - very nice - well done!

plays very smooth - great work! ty!

Comment

Hey aniviron, looking good. Curious what scale multiplier did you use?
                    Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                      Hey aniviron, looking good. Curious what scale multiplier did you use?
                      I used 2.5625. When I first brought it over I messed with things from between 2-2.75 and found that 2.5 was about right. I had to remake all the geometry in Unrealed 2 because the stock geometry was heinously messy, and 2.5625 meant that most things would stay on-grid when I bought it over.

Comment

Should be a new version in the next day or two. The stone tiles are actually already at .8 roughness constant, I think what is making them look so shiny is the decal layers on top, most of which are much less rough. I'll tweak those and get something a bit better, though I do like having a few reflect, makes it look like oil or hydraulic fluid spilled. The metal hashed floor on the upper deck does probably need a new normal, which sucks because I have to draw the normals for these mats in photoshop by hand, but it does look bad and you're right. Same goes for the material under the upper deck, though that one was quick and dirty to begin with. Got the stretching on the 'tooth' trim fixed.

Did anyone besides Effects69 have trouble with visibility? I'm torn on this one, part of me thinks I need to tweak the exposure values up just a little higher, but going much higher makes the level feel less moody.

Comment

This is great! Nice use of lighting, great atmosphere. A lot of depth in your scene. Keep going.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                            Should be a new version in the next day or two. The stone tiles are actually already at .8 roughness constant, I think what is making them look so shiny is the decal layers on top, most of which are much less rough. I'll tweak those and get something a bit better, though I do like having a few reflect, makes it look like oil or hydraulic fluid spilled. The metal hashed floor on the upper deck does probably need a new normal, which sucks because I have to draw the normals for these mats in photoshop by hand, but it does look bad and you're right. Same goes for the material under the upper deck, though that one was quick and dirty to begin with. Got the stretching on the 'tooth' trim fixed.

Did anyone besides Effects69 have trouble with visibility? I'm torn on this one, part of me thinks I need to tweak the exposure values up just a little higher, but going much higher makes the level feel less moody.
                            If it's too shiny you could also try this:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gqp4bNJ52M

Hope it helps in any way. Keep up the good work, map looks amazing already.
                            DM-Temple of the Sun

DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

Comment

Looking great! I had so much fun in this map in 2k4. GAELIGLOLZ
                              Stacey Conley
                              -----------------------------
                              Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                              Epic Games, Inc.
                              Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                              X