DM-Sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Sand

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Update!

Everything is still very WIP! Textures, models, lighting, etc... are super rough right now. I'm currently building a small set of temp models that I can use for lego pieces, so once I build my finished assets, I can just plug 'em in. This process has been working pretty well for me, since I can make huge sweeping changes ( I've tested like five different surrounding environment ideas), and there is enough info that I can get the mood and feel, but loose enough that I can continue to build quickly and get new ideas.

I've made a few changes to layout, most notably in the berserk room, so lemme know if anything is broken.

Cheers!

Download 8/27/2015

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...wsNoEditor.pak
    Last edited by Gooba; 08-27-2015, 07:36 PM.
    Dm-Sand | Idea to Concept Thread

This theme reminds of DM-Osiris and BR-Anubis from previous UT games. Really cool concept, I would like to see more maps using this setting.
    DM-Temple of the Sun

DM-Plunge 2.0 (working title)

Comment

Just had a quick run through, the layout seems pretty nice. I need to play it some more before I can give any in depth feedback.
      Win 10
      iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
      3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
      DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
      2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Theme and mats look super solid. Downloading now, feedback when I have it for you. :]

Comment

Just a couple comments after a quick test.

The lift under the 100 armor is really slow... Annoyingly slow.

Looks it needs some blocking volumes.

From here

you can rocket jump to here

From there you can run around and get to other spots.
          Attached Files

Comment

I agree about the lift speed, it's very slow.

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
            Just a couple comments after a quick test.

The lift under the 100 armor is really slow... Annoyingly slow.

Looks it needs some blocking volumes.

From here

you can rocket jump to here

From there you can run around and get to other spots.
            Win 10
            iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
            3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
            32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
            DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
            2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

I actually really like the slow lift by the 100a. It adds a pretty significant element of risk to grabbing it, which is nice.

As far as balance and flow are concerned, I'm afraid my feedback is pretty limited for the moment; the bots are just broken right now, I think you forgot to build paths before packing.

The enforcer pickup seems really odd. I know it's supposed to be a low priority grab, but I honestly can't think of a single situation where I would intentionally grab that.

The little trench next to the enforcer is strange too, as there are tons of slope dodges throughout the map, and that trough looks like you should be able to dodge out of it but can't quite make it. The pit also isn't such a high value location that it makes sense to trap the player down there.

Other than that, I like the use of slope dodges, I like the elevator jumps, I like the plentiful z axis and wall dodge opportunities. It's tough to comment on placement and flow without actually getting to play against opponents, but my gut says that the open area by the link gun feels relatively dangerous for the low amount of incentive for being in that spot.

Overall, the aesthetic looks fantastic so far, and very distinct. The adobe and sand materials look good, the lighting has a nice play between light and shadow, good contrast and good visibility.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                I actually really like the slow lift by the 100a. It adds a pretty significant element of risk to grabbing it, which is nice.
                Not really, it's far quicker and less risky to dodge twice up the sloped walls to either side. Even if you miss a couple times and have to try again you'll still beat the lift up. So really the lift is just a noob trap since everyone else is just going to dodge up the walls. IMO it'd be better to either speed it up significantly or just remove it entirely.

Comment

That's a fair point, and I don't think it would hurt to speed up the lift a little, but the slope dodge also leaves you pretty vulnerable, it doesn't have any cover from above like the lift does, and it slows down your movement a fair amount and leaves you traveling in a straight line.

Comment

Originally posted by jonzie23 View Post
                    This theme reminds of DM-Osiris and BR-Anubis from previous UT games. Really cool concept, I would like to see more maps using this setting.
                    I second this. Maybe if you would add some Anubis-like-dog head it might be even better, but still great job Gooba, like always

Comment

Hi Gooba, nice looking map - I had a run around with some confused bots. First impressions/things I noticed:

You can fall into a dark crack if you miss the blue jump pad. This jump pad also flings you too violently.
                      At this stinger jump pad area, you have both the pad and a lift. I think having one or the other would work better. The wall the bezerk is on seems out of place, and blocks sight for people entering that room.
                      Powerups/pickups seemed quite chainable - you could get belt, then amp then thigh pads one after the other in seconds. Perhaps move a powerup to the slow lift area.
                      Slow lift is slow... I didn't get why.
                      Weapon placement needs work and consideration with risk. Perhaps a powerful weapon like shock on the platform the blue jump pad sends you to, and move the stinger somewhere else like in the stream near the UDamage. Put a few vials down paths you have to slope dodge to get onto - some reward/reason for getting up there.
                      The sniper/rocket section of the map felt a bit cut off from the rest. Perhaps open up the wall so the shield-belt can be seen from that area.
                      Build paths so I can try it with bots and give better feedback .

Lovely theme and lighting temperature. Background is nice with pillars going into the distance, and i like the sand spilling into the level.
                      Lots of interesting areas and ways of getting between them - I think there's potential here to make the flow even better.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing this develop!
                      Last edited by TotesAmaze; 05-14-2015, 08:06 AM.
                      UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                      Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Had a quick run through, I concur with the other guys on the lift buy the 100armour. Way too slow. Personally I think a bounce pad would be ok there.

Also kinda seems weird you can go from shield to udamage in a couple dodges, then to shock and thighpads too. Seems that it needs tweaking to me. Maybe put the Udamage in the far tower instead (risk/reward) and swap shock with thigh pads?

Level looks great though! I really enjoy moving around the central shield room a lot.

Comment

I really like the general feel and flow. Nice z axis play.

The thigh pads room felt slightly odd being it's own room. I dono if there are any spawns in there but it felt like a dead end and a choke point for little reward. The shield belt is nicely placed but the berzerk doesn't really work where it is right now especially given both the lift and the jump pad giving access to the same area, the lift being the only way to get the berzerk; I might even be tempted to swap the berzerk and thigh pads and lose the pad. A couple of the slopes are almost slope dodgeable but aren't, for example near the link, it would give better access out of the sand pit. Similarly in the armour room allowing people to dodge up the slope to get the vials and sniper would be nice extra movement. Same with the water path, though I might have one or two areas you can dodge out rather than the whole path.

Nice work

Comment

Screenshots look great. Will try it out tonight.
                            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Nice visual theme here man. Will run around the map as soon as I can. Keep up the work sir!
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                              X