No announcement yet.

[Discontinued] DM-Deep (Duel / DM Map)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] [Discontinued] DM-Deep (Duel / DM Map)

• (2017-01-27) - I've decided to announce that I've discontinued development on this map. I will leave a zip file available for people to download. Feel free to make derivative versions of this map. You can use the assets inside of this zip file (except those indicated to be created by lo6aaaa_kotka) for free purposes. You may not use these assets for commercial or any for-profit purposes without my permission. You can use these assets in other UT related maps. Please provide credit to me if you do. The reason I've decided to discontinue development is because I haven't been actively developing this map for almost a year for a variety of reasons including, not being happy with the development of UT in general, as well as a lack of community interest in this game. For those of you who do enjoy this game, I hope you continue to have fun and please do not let this message serve as a deterrent to that.

Deep is a remake of a UT3 map called DM-COMP-Deep by Noob_Zaibot, with permission. This version aims to be playable for UT4, including sloped dodge ramps, new areas, a teleporter, and more. It was a really good duel map that was released at the very end of UT3's life, so it never got the recognition it deserves.

Originally posted by sx
    "In an attempt to escape their Skarrj Captors, a group of Nali Priests went to one of their shrines to Chizra on Na Pali and managed to blocked off the path, preventing the Skarrj from reaching them. But in an ironic twist of fate, it prevented the priests from escaping their shrine, leaving them withering and decaying like the ruins that surrounded them. Liandri would soon find the abandoned ruins and kept renovations simple for the combat to take place.

They said blood is thicker than water... Time to put that adage to the test."
    - A good start for the backstory! I'll be modifying this a bit.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Older Changes

Spoiler

Installation Instructions:
    Copy the .PAK file to this directory: ..\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks

• Gooba for the awesome concept art!
    • sx - Came up with the start of a good backstory for the map.
    • Noob_Zaibot - Original map author of UT3 version - gave me permission to create this remake.
    • Legionz - helped extensively beta test original Deep and is responsible for a lot of changes that made it into this version.

Download Playable Version ~384MB zipped: DM-Deep_Alpha03g (Released 2016-05-16)

Download Editor Preview Version ~1,372MB: Uncooked Preview Version - Editor Only (Released 2016-05-16) Please scroll to the bottom of the post for information regarding asset usage permissions.

Removed because I need to reclaim some dropbox space.

Music:
    Thanks to Nonemm (Fabian Joosten) for providing the music for Deep Ruins! Voice in the music performed by Enkjargal Dandarvaanchig.

Use of DM-Deep related assets made by me (CaptainMigraine):

If you would like to use the assets I've created, you may do so for Unreal Tournament related projects *only*. Do not *sell* any of these assets any kind of digital marketplace. Do not use these assets for use in *NON UT* related projects, unless I have given you direct permission. Do not use these assets in any game with the intention of making money through sales (either directly via one time sale on services such as Steam, or indirectly via microtransactions such as cosmetics) Do not use these assets in any *NON UT* *for profit* game. These assets are free for use for the Unreal Tournament community for Unreal Tournament related projects only, unless I give you direct permission. If you would like to use these assets in a non UT project that is for showcase or non profit reasons, please contact me. For any questions, please contact me. Exceptions include any agreements I've made with Epic.

Use of DM-Heritage related assets made by map author Lo6aaaa_Kotka:

Lo6aaaa_Kotka encourages the community to use his assets, however please contact him if you'd like to use any of his assets in your UT map/project. I am naming everything in Deep that originates from Heritage with the "_HERITAGE" suffix to eliminate any potential confusion. Please acquire any DM-Heritage related assets from lo6aaaa_kotka. For any questions regarding Heritage related assets, please contact lo6aaaa_kotka at this thread: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...023&viewfull=1

-CaptainMigraine (Neil)
    Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 01-27-2017, 05:29 AM.
    Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

played it for 20 minutes and I really can't wait for this map to be listed on the custom hubs.

It doesn't feel complicated and feels very smooth, movement-wise.. by which I mean that you can get from any point of the map to any other point by either using the maps' cool geometry or by simply walking through the corridors and caves. Both feel valid. Range between items seems fairly balanced and the balance between narrow corridors and wide spaces seems to work out as well. I feel odd for going into so much detail after playing for only 20 minutes, but I still think this is a great shell.

I'm a bit skeptic about the teleporter that connects the lower level to the minigun-platform, and maybe people will find out, if the map eventually turns out a bit hyperconnected :P? Just 2 vague thoughts though.
    I wanna play it !

Comment

Awesome job on the layout I think

Been skimming through your twitch recording of the making, really interesting and inspiring seeing you work. I can see you put a lot of thought and consideration in to the movement and connectivity!
      Even at this point looking at it reminds me of Lea because of the scale/connectivity.

Only thing that I would say at this early stage is that I get the feeling it can get overly connected sometimes, excessively connected almost (grates/openings to shoot through against every wall dodge or slide etc etc).
      I like all those kinda cool additions usually, I'm just throwing a gentle reminder to ask whether some of them are actually necessary.

Seems like its part of your personal mapping/playing style and leanings though as well so s'all good. Looking forward to more

Comment

Thats great Neil, I was playing like 30 minutes, and the map feels really nice! I am honored that you do a remake of this.

About if is "HyperConnected" I think there is no problem, no one can control the whole map from one place, and all the items are distributed in a very balanced way.

You know that I find quite funny? I'm also doing a remake of the same map but for a different game (Toxikk) and I put a portal in the same place that you.
        Attached Files
        ◄ Competitive Map Pack 2
        ◄ Competitive Map Pack 1
        ◄ Characters Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Zaibot View Post
          Thats great Neil, I was playing like 30 minutes, and the map feels really nice! I am honored that you do a remake of this.

About if is "HyperConnected" I think there is no problem, no one can control the whole map from one place, and all the items are distributed in a very balanced way.

You know that I find quite funny? I'm also doing a remake of the same map but for a different game (Toxikk) and I put a portal in the same place that you.
          Great minds think alike.

Comment

Had a run around the map and it feels really well scaled. Overall it felt great with lots of cool movement possibilities and a general sense of weapon layout balance. There were however a few things that I think could be changed slightly:

The first is the bio area. I think it could be interesting to switch the position of the bio and the rockets. Part of the advice you gave me about erase was to put the bio in a position where people would come across it while travelling to somewhere else and i think it would better fit this role if it were down low. I also think that having the rl up high to mirror the flak being down low is a good idea but obviously it's your call.

Another idea I had about the current bio area was to raise the platform. The small steps that require you to jump over them are kinda irritating so i think it would be better to either remove them or perhaps embrace your "inner rankin" and put a slope dodge in like this:

I think this would work better if the rl was up there seeing as having a slope dodge up to a bio seems pretty dumb. Would be a cool thing to try out imo.

Another thing I noticed was that these vials are very close to the health packs in the centre:

I think it might be better to move them to this position:

That way you get a massive audio cue as someone is travelling from the thighpads to the belt.

And finally I wasn't a big fan of this 25 placement near the shock as it felt a little too out of the way.

At first glance I'd be in favour of removing this tunnel altogether but it may well end up just fine.

Something else occurred to me that it'd be fun to experiment with having a seamless portal where you currently have the teleporter. As I understand that functionality isn't currently in the engine but it's definitely something that would be very cool to include.

Looks great so far though, I'm looking forward to seeing another map in the duel pool.

EDIT:
            On further inspection I've realised that there are 3 shock ammo pickups, in a direct line to the belt from the shock. I assume that this was unintentional
            Last edited by Flikswich; 05-27-2015, 04:29 PM.
            :|

Comment

Hey flikswich! Thanks for all the feedback.

The first is the bio area. I think it could be interesting to switch the position of the bio and the rockets. Part of the advice you gave me about erase was to put the bio in a position where people would come across it while travelling to somewhere else and i think it would better fit this role if it were down low. I also think that having the rl up high to mirror the flak being down low is a good idea but obviously it's your call.
              I actually asked numb last night what he thought about me swapping bio/rox. Definitely going to try this in the next version.

Another idea I had about the current bio area was to raise the platform. The small steps that require you to jump over them are kinda irritating so i think it would be better to either remove them or perhaps embrace your "inner rankin" and put a slope dodge in like this:
              I'll see what I can do. I honestly think it's fine the way it is now because the hop serves as a simple sound cue. A dodge ramp would just put the rocket launcher even further out of reach, which seems odd to have the RL at the highest point in the map. Usually a sniper is reserved for that, but I'm not against the idea.

Another thing I noticed was that these vials are very close to the health packs in the centre:
              This definitely did cross my mind. The reason I left those vials there is because the vials attract you to the walkway, serve as a much needed sound cue, and the window would enable some pretty clever shock combos, especially if a player goes through the teleporter and then fires a combo through the window. Without the vials, that area would be too easy to traverse unnoticed.

I think it might be better to move them to this position:
              Thought of that too lol... Reason I didn't put them there is because I wasn't sure how I felt having vials directly between belt and thighpad. I feel like that would cause a lot of traffic there, which may have some strange side effects on gameplay. Player picks up belt, takes vials, takes thighpad, then proceeds to vest.... that's a LOT of goodies all in a chain. The audio cue is understandable. I'll figure something out.

And finally I wasn't a big fan of this 25 placement near the shock as it felt a little too out of the way. At first glance I'd be in favour of removing this tunnel altogether but it may well end up just fine.
              I personally think it's fine. I'd like to playtest this before changing anything about thi

Something else occurred to me that it'd be fun to experiment with having a seamless portal where you currently have the teleporter. As I understand that functionality isn't currently in the engine but it's definitely something that would be very cool to include.
              *cough* still waiting for a response from epic regarding seamless portals *cough*

On further inspection I've realised that there are 3 shock ammo pickups, in a direct line to the belt from the shock. I assume that this was unintentional
              Yup. lol Will be changing this.

Thanks for your feedback! Hopefully we get it put on the hubs soon!

Comment

Updated map. Fixed lighting, continued work on BSP. Improved lots of things.

Comment

I've played around 5 duels on this map last night and I must say I like it. The first few duels resulted in very low scores though. It could have been due to not knowing the map well, which I'm sure is the main culprit, but I think in the end the map might be slightly too big. I think the map is rather complex for a person who has never played it before, but I think it's something that a duel map can get away with. Complexity allows a player to learn new things every time it's played, and that is hella addicting.

The points of interest are very fun to fight in. I don't think there was a single spot where a combat situation wasn't fun or rewarding in some way. Especially the belt area and the vest area. Love that lift combat.

Deep really shines in map traversal. It is incredibly fun and fluid to just run around in this map, and that's a great thing. The possible movement combinations are really fun.

Suggestions.

I haven't played the map enough to really give good input on weapon placement, but I think that the rocket launcher replacing the bio ( i think you did this) was a great move. It really funnels the player there as they are waiting for the power up to spawn. Especially if the player loses the armor, they know that if they get the rocket launcher with that height advantage they can do some damage. But they also know it's risky to get the rocket launcher due to a well placed combo.

This is personal preference, but I'm not a fan of individually placed health bubbles. I always felt like they were inadequate and still kept me thirsty for more. Maybe thats the point i dont know. Erase is on the border for me in this regard ( vest/RL area) because they are close enough to get pretty quickly and it promotes a predictable path of recovery after a possible near death vest battle. flikswich probably intended this or he may have gotten lucky. I still think two bubbles near the mini would work better but I could be wrong.

Now that I was writing about those single bubbles, you may have done that to create your own little path on the bottom of the map. But I think the distance between both bubbles might be slightly too long. I specifically remember running away from legions on the bottk., getting the health bubble and running for a good while till I managed to get the other. This could all be at fault of map knowledge though!

I'll try to exclusively play this today and post again.

I have an unrelated suggestion. Once you perfect this bsp shell, would you consider churning out another popular ut3 custom duel map? They seem to transition well into ut4, and you have a nack for producing these maps quickly. Not to mention although it would be a remake, you manage to add new twists to them to make them refreshing. If you were to make more quality shells there would be more great maps to play.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback numb! Glad you like the map.

I'll rethink the health bubble placement in some areas. I tend to think that health bubbles should come in 2 forms: 2 lumped together, or individuals spread around the map. The reason is because if you're willing to run around in the basement area of the map for health, you're wasting time for safety of grabbing health. If you are short on time, or you happen to be in the top center of the map, then you can grab the 2 health bubbles lumped together with a huge amount of risk to yourself in the process. In other words, you have options. Perhaps I can consider combining the basement healthpacks, or removing one of them. Will figure that out.

Which UT3 map do you have in mind? I'd like to see it.

Comment

I like the visuals and the atmosphere in your latest version. Item placement changes seem to be alright as well!

..and the water is really refreshing.

Comment

A mural I've been working on. Still very much a work in progress.

Comment

With me not exist had taken green surfaces chess pattern that is normal?
                          Attached Files

Comment

@ Chris UT4,

?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMigraine View Post
                              @ Chris UT4,

?
                              I think he's trying to say the green texture outside the window doesn't show up in the latest pak. it's just the default editor texture there (grey squares in a checker board pattern).
                              Last edited by MoxNix; 06-07-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X