CTF-Volcano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Volcano

Hi guys, now that the latest build includes this map, I'd love to hear feedback from those who have played a few games.
    I've already received feedback about the potential balance issues putting the volcano base at a greater advantage and have made some changes here to help it, any thoughts would be helpful!

Attached Files

There might appear to be balance issues at first blush, but I think we will find that as players get to know the map, it won't be that uneven. I have already found ways to effectively attack the volcano base and get the flag on a consistent basis and won the first round, the funny thing was someone said at the beginning of the match that they'd played it several times and no team had ever done it.

The bottom line is that the volcano being uphill sort of does the evening out for you. When attacking, sure it's hard to climb, but escaping downhill goes rather quick. Same is true in reverse... defending the "Face" style base is fairly easy when the other team has to run uphill with the flag and you're able to translocate.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I found a spot just outside the lower base in the central lava where you can fall and die with the flag, but the flag doesn't reset; see attached.

As far as overall balance goes, I agree with those who say that the pickups feel a bit stacked towards the volcano side. Maybe moving the shield belt to the 100a location where both sides can see it from their vantage points would help. Still, two of the six games I played had the lower team leading by three or more at the half.

The bottom-most route feels like it might provide a bit too much safety for flagrunners compared to the top. I played three matches against humans and three vs bots, and coming out of the volcano base I found that it was relatively difficult to make it across the open ground with so many snipers and with easy visibility for people trying to cut me off; but when I switched to taking the lower route out, it was smooth sailing comparatively. Yes, ambush from above was a very real possibility and anyone seeing me enter would know where to cut me off, but at the same time the bottom route is both the shortest and the safest. Maybe things will change one people know the map better, hard to say.

The route with the thigh pads feels cut off from the rest of the map, it took me two plays to even realize it was there. Once I knew it was there, I rarely went that way because of how open it is, how little value the pads have compared to the keg + amp + shield + 100a just to the side, and the fact that it's a relatively long route anyway.

I have mixed feelings about the two redeemers. I'm sure the competitive crowd will just wind up using a mutator to remove them anyway, and I have to admit that they're a lot of fun in casual play, and are a nice little nod to UT99-style level design. Personally, I'd like to see the lower base redeemer moved to be slightly less in the thick of things though. The volcano redeemer takes a little time and a little risk to grab, and it's not in a place that I found myself looking constantly, that area isn't really high-traffic. The lower redeemer however is right in the thick of things and can't possibly be missed, it stares you right in the face once you teleport, which means it gets grabbed very quickly. I'd rather see it moved somewhere a little riskier and a little less traversed.

Some of the paths on the interior of the volcano seem like they could use some work. Traversing the area with transloc and jump pads feels pretty decent, but it's a lot of walking without much cover next to a death pit if you're playing with transloc off or have the flag. The jump pads definitely help and make the gameplay a lot quicker, but at the same time, it does feel like they make the normal paths pretty much obsolete; I don't think I ever saw anyone walk up the right hand path to the flag as you come in from outside, simply because the jump pads make walking completely superfluous.

Overall, I quite like it, I think it's my favourite official CTF shell in the game right now. The balance seems pretty decent overall, the theme is distinct and nicely executed even as a shell, the scaling feels just right, and there are a nice mix of combat areas. It does help that you've got some nice nods to a few classic maps as well while creating something entirely new and distinct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	338536

Comment

I haven't played this map yet, but at first glance I thought you had came up with a great idea, but I see it's one base inside and one outside. If I may throw out another idea... What I thought this showed was the volcano was between the two bases. So the teams would have to go over, around or through the mountain to get at each other, but the volcano can be different on each side. A hybrid type map... a little symmetry and asymmetry at the same time. Just an idea, but it would make it tough/easy for either team to run uphill/downhill and not just one side. Make sense?

I do like the look of the map. Very nice. Good work.

W.I.P.s
        DM-Containers

Comment

Its a cool Map i like it

Comment

I like the map theme and eruption feature. I think it's worth making the lava flood the central piece of the map.

Things that are no so great:
            - the map is vast and very open, not much where to hide or wall-dodge. It's like unsymmetrical Facing worlds, but even bigger;
            - it's very easy to camp people at volcano base. The flag is completely open - you have just two paths to go, nowhere to hide and more to that it's the lower ground with high platforms all around you. Higher ground is always advantageous;
            - the tower base has two health packs just around the flag's corner, volcano base has none;
            - the slope down the flag at volcano base is too long and open, it's easy to chase the flag-carrier;
            - if I go the lower way and lava is up, it completely blocks the way with nothing to jump to and lava takes too much hp. All i have to do is go back or wait. It's kind of gamebreaking;
            - only small part of less used route is flooded by lava, thus making the eruption feature obscure;
            - armor is placed in distant corners of the map, too far away from main routes. In some games I feel I'm the only one who takes 100A.

So here is some ideas. I suggest to:
            - make some paths a bit narrower, maybe compact all the central part of the map or remove huge rocks with 100A and rocket to go for Facing worlds-alike design;
            - rebuild castle base and place the flag differently to make it more interesting and challenging to attack;
            - rebuild volcano flag platform and platforms around it to make it easier to get away with the flag or harder to attack the flag-carrier;
            - place transparent crystals (or something) at the big empty chambers at volcano base to give flag-carrier ability to evade attacks or wall-dodge;
            - place most valuable pickups on small islands surrounded by lava;
            - make the shortest way flooded by lava with small islands to jump on, but decrease lava damage. Maybe make a lava river that flows down all the way from volcano to the tower;
            - make flood cycle shorter and more frequent.

That's all I can think of now. Thanks for the map.

Comment

The lava flow with a cool idea is genuine also to the islands for power ups surrounded by lava like it

Das mit dem Lavafluss ist echt eine coole Idee auch das mit den inseln für Power ups umgeben von Lava gefällt mir

Comment

Originally posted by Bosch View Post
                - if I go the lower way and lava is up, it completely blocks the way with nothing to jump to and lava takes too much hp. All i have to do is go back or wait. It's kind of gamebreaking;
                I've actually really enjoyed that in playtests so far - it creates some really tense moments where nearby teammates come to help you hold your ground at the edge of the lava until the path clears. Once there are more audio cues to warn you when it's about to flood, you should be able to make the call on whether there's time to make it across or if you need to pick another route. I agree it could be interesting to experiment with lowered lava damage, though, so you might have a chance of getting across if you have lot of health and armor.

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]Thomas Browett View Post
                  I've actually really enjoyed that in playtests so far - it creates some really tense moments where nearby teammates come to help you hold your ground at the edge of the lava until the path clears. Once there are more audio cues to warn you when it's about to flood, you should be able to make the call on whether there's time to make it across or if you need to pick another route. I agree it could be interesting to experiment with lowered lava damage, though, so you might have a chance of getting across if you have lot of health and armor.
                  We played the map more than a dozen times through these days and usually no one comes to help, only more enemies attack, because they respawn nearby. More chances that your teammate waits at the flag base waiting for your death to grab the flag and run the other way. Grim reality of public servers. So if I see lava there and someone is chasing me I just go to the jumppad at bottom of slope.

Comment

Yeah some great feedback, I've made a number of suggested changes already but they won't been seen until the next build.

My intention was not to completely block the lower route when the lava floods, but to make a route out that takes a lot longer and has risks (stepping stones maybe) I'll get that done for next build.

Cheers!

Comment

FWIW I kind of like the lava flood the way it is now. If you jump-walldodge juuust right you can make it over the first part to the amp, then dodge to the health packs, then get out. It actually let me escape as a flagcarrier once, slowed down pursuit enough for me to get to my teammates. The stepping stones are a good idea, but I wouldn't mind having them work in such a way that you still need pretty good movement mastery to use them properly, like it is now.

Comment

In the volcane you get very easy to the shockrifle, which is good
                        But at the tower, i have no idea where the SR is and respawning is really not fun at the tower and most games i've player valcona winns vs tower.
                        MSI Z170A GAMING M5 | i7-6700k 4GHz | 4x4GB DDR4 - 2666MHz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | ASUS IPS 120Hz 1440P | Audioengine D1 + Sennheiser HD650 | WIN 10 x64

Comment

Yeah, I might tweak the shock placement for the tower team, thx

Comment

Thanks, we could defence and retrieve a little easier.
                            MSI Z170A GAMING M5 | i7-6700k 4GHz | 4x4GB DDR4 - 2666MHz | MSI GTX 970 4GB | ASUS IPS 120Hz 1440P | Audioengine D1 + Sennheiser HD650 | WIN 10 x64

Comment

Nevertheless, there already exist lava Meshes why you do not use them then with the Map?

Comment

Working...
                              X