Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM Hell's Gate [Quake 3 Arena inspired]

Hello there!

My name is Jesus F.G. I use my nickname as JamyzGenius to publish maps for Chivalry Medieval Warfare and Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. This time I wanted to map for UE4 and I made a map inspired on Hell's Gate from Quake III: Arena.

Here is how the original Quake 3 Map looks:

Here is how mine looks:

‚Äč

This map is not at the original size of the Quake 3 map, I made this one smaller for fast action encounters. This map is recommended for 2 players, but 4 players can play well. 6 is the maximum player size of this map, it is really small to go beyond six players.

This map contains the song from Quake 3 "Hell Gate" performed by Front Line Assembly.
    Credit of the original idea and inspiration to ID Software.

NOTE: This is not a 100% remake of the map. I did my stuff in there because I wanted to see how it worked and I loved the final result. There are details that I didn't follow from the original map. This one is a custom version from Hell's Gate.

I hope you like this map.

Edit: After some tests. I decided to put this map as Duel mode only. It is too much for 4 players.
    The lightning has changed, the fog colors and sun as-well. The map has bot support now, but it's not good for 4+ players. 2 is the best number.

Attached Files
    Last edited by JamyzGenius; 07-08-2015, 10:37 PM.

I have some concerns about player visibility and the lack of combat space (indoor screenshot, even more with a flak gun). The players are barely visible in your screenshots (red on red).

Other than that, turning a quake map into a CTF map for UT is a neat idea. Good luck with your progress
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed I am worried too. First, because this map is not working the way I saw it on my mind, and it's weird but Unreal mixed with Quake doesn't work really well. I used to play this map a lot on Quake III Arena and I wanted to see it on UE4 now that the action is faster than Unreal Tournament 3. I played this map way back on UT3 but still it feels different. I thought that both games were similar, but yesterday I discover that yeah, Quake 3 over Unreal Tournament just works weird, also I placed the original music from Quake and hmm. It just don't fits what Unreal Tournament is. But don't take me wrong, I love both games, I am not biased by one or other. I love both. But this time it toke me a surprise what I felt while playing this map.

Second, hmm the size decision of this map was pretty bad. I also think that the boxes right over the bridges are a problem because those cut the fast action that I wanted to achieve. I am not 100% sure if I will finish this map due that is taking a different direction from what I wanted. But still this is getting me in UE4 fast. It was good to practice mapping on this new engine. If I do finish it, I think I will go for a remake of a UT map or something original related to Unreal Tournament.

I am still not sure, but this map needs something else. I will work to see what it needs. It just doesn't feel right.

Best Regards!

Comment

it just might be scaling issue. both games require slightly different size of rooms.
        PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by e1vp View Post
            This is sick, my respect to that mapper. He achieved what I could not do, but still I had played the map and feels a little bit weird while playing it. I am not sure how to explain it. But regarding to art and the actual composition of the map, it is badass, sick and cool. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by shdw View Post
              it just might be scaling issue. both games require slightly different size of rooms.
              Yes, this may be the problem. I was thinking about it yesterday and yeah. I think UT works in some areas while Quake doesn't do in another areas. It is quite interesting how both games work to achieve the best action possible. I believe that I am starting to understand level design better. I had been mapping for several years but I had never stop to see this details over mapping. Interesting.

Comment

So where do we download this at?

Comment

Make it from red to evil yucky yellow and increase the size of all platforms and pillars twice so the map will be 4x bigger. Then I am pretty sure the result will play out. Unreal needs more space in my opinion especially with so high amount of detailed meshes. I always make my floors simple otherwise they drive players eyes from the horizon to floor. Too many meshes on the floor, unless its really just a simple tile, is an overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by JamyzGenius View Post
                    Yes, this may be the problem. I was thinking about it yesterday and yeah. I think UT works in some areas while Quake doesn't do in another areas. It is quite interesting how both games work to achieve the best action possible. I believe that I am starting to understand level design better. I had been mapping for several years but I had never stop to see this details over mapping. Interesting.
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/edamwzbw87...sGate.zip?dl=0

I am sat waiting for lighting to complete on another map and thought I'd help out here.

I've converted the UT3 map into UT4 and all of the polygons, textures and sounds.

Just unzip the folder and drop it into your restricted assets/WIP/ folder.

You will have to import the FBX [2013] files and the Sound/OGG, plus the textures, but they are all in the zipped folder and should not have any issues.

I know you won't use the textures as the resolution is so low, but having them to hand for reference is handy as you can do a 'find and replace' for the textures/materials so you can use whatever you want.

As this is a BSP, all of the surfaces are aligned and scaled to the vertices, which mean if you change them, it will give you weird scaling on surfaces.

Enjoy
                    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                    X