DM-Central (duel map)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Central (duel map)

hello everyone, i am making a tight duel map inspired by quakeworld classic aerowalk but you probably wouldn't be able to tell. the idea is that the action is mostly revolving around one central area that is accessible from majority of the rooms.

the layout is done, and i am adding meshes to make it look pretty.

current look (29th of May 2016)

older video of the layout

I can cook the map if anyone wants to give the layout a go.
    Last edited by User-843d7; 05-29-2016, 10:10 AM.
    PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

here's a video from duel played against inhumane bot so you get the feeling of this map. really hoping for some feedback guys. would like to start putting meshes in, and work on making it pretty.

screenshots in this post are outdated, scroll down to see more up to date content
    Attached Files
    Last edited by User-843d7; 07-19-2015, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Keg in a duel map? No thanks.

Also judging from the video it looks like the flow needs some work, and I don't recommend putting 25 packs on top of crates that require elaborate wall dodges, when you're in need of health (as you demonstrated by getting wrekt by the bot's rocket launcher) you shouldn't have to do some crazy move for a single 25. Maybe for a vest, that would be fine. (not suggesting putting vest next to keg of course...)
      Last edited by Dr.ToxicVenom; 07-11-2015, 03:50 PM. Reason: things and stuff
      Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
      MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
      Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.ToxicVenom View Post
        Keg in a duel map? No thanks.
        would you prefer a belt? i come from quake background, and things are a little different there as mega is actually wearing out.

Also judging from the video it looks like the flow needs some work.
        Could you be more specific? I played a quite a few matches against bots, and a friend and it felt quite decent. But I am not that well versed in UT trick jumps so it might be lacking in this department.

I don't recommend putting 25 packs on top of crates that require elaborate wall dodges, when you're in need of health (as you demonstrated by getting wrekt by the bot's rocket launcher)
        i was taking the mega, and a vials around in consideration. that might change but on the other hand it's a pretty simple jump. it was just my lameness that i didn't pull it off.

Comment

Mega/Keg is inadvisable in UT's Duel, as so is DamageAmp. The classic setup of powerups in UT 1on1 DM consists of three main armors only: belt + vest + pads. You may throw helmet in. Jumpboots are optional.
          Try not to overuse health, too. Personally, I do not place more than 6 x 25hp. 4-5 seems fine for a duel map. As for health vials, 4-10 usually do the job, depending on the map's layout.

I haven't seen your map yet, and it's a bit late, so no constructive feedback at the moment.

Btw, are you ShadoW of Q3/QL fame, known for Sanctum, Concrete Palace, The Dreadful Place, Sorrow, Battlegrounds etc?
          Last edited by insomnaut; 07-11-2015, 07:28 PM.
          @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

Looks really promising! but,

its not quake, and this scale doesnt work good with ut movement. I have made same mistake with my first map, and now i fully regeometry whole the map. In my opinion wide corridos should be 2x bigger.
            https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
            https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

Comment

As mentioned before, it feels all very tight. It makes it a bit oppressing, and also not very compelling gameplay. You just walk untill you practicaly bump into the other guy.

Also two small points I noticed. First the ledge at the Linkgun is too high, you need to jump. Look, I'm not too lazy to hit spacebar, but it doesn't feel right there. Second is the railing at the lavapit. It has no blocking volume, so idiots (like me) will bump into it, expecting to be stopped... but fall to a fiery death instead. I'd either remove the railing, or add a blocking volume.

Hope that helps!

Comment

alright, i did quite a few changes. thanks everyone for your feedback. updated version in the post that follows.

Originally posted by insomnaut View Post
                Btw, are you ShadoW of Q3/QL fame, known for Sanctum, Concrete Palace, The Dreadful Place, Sorrow, Battlegrounds etc?
                that'd be sweet but unfortunately i am not.

Comment

WIP2 has been made in response to a lot of feedback you guys mention. thanks for that. download link for version two: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...wsNoEditor.pak

changelog
                  - made various rooms, hallways, and lifts wider/bigger to fit the UT type of movement better
                  - replaced keg with belt
                  - moved some items around to fit the changes
                  - every spot with vials now has a unique number so skilled players might be able to tell where their opponent is
                  - replaced about half of the placeholder lights to improve performance, and simulate how would the map be lighted in "real world"
                  - removed railings in front of the biggest lavapit
                  - smoothed some ledges so a player doesn't have to jump to reach the area

and now some screenies...

Attached Files

Comment

WIP3 download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13488388/DM-Central/DM-Central50-WindowsNoEditor.pak

this version has glitched light on meshes. otherwise it's starting to feel quite right. feedback at this point would be very welcome.

here's a "walkthrough" video

and a duel against inhumane bot

Comment

hi shdw.

Progres looks nice, u have played a lot of games to discover new ut4 gameplay and movement, its much bettter than first version.
                      Map is still really quake'ish, and its not wrong, but u need to make some tweaks. Im not guru of UT, i have played 15years in quake scene so i cannot say so much about ut as quake but in my opinion u should change:
                      - BELT -> CHEST
                      - CHEST -> BOOTS
                      - BOOTS -> BELT

Ye, i know, belt on the central looks newbie, and easy to steal, **** to tactics etc. but in unreal it works pretty good, main items should be in main places. I hate that when i was creating my first map for ut, but after plenty of games i have to say, it works well in unreal.

Second. Lava shouldn't insta kill , and u have to add somewhere ledge or smth, to make a quit easier for newbies.

Next version i will download and check on my desktop :P first impressions from videos.
                      have a good day,

Comment

I like the progress, I really enjoyed the WIP3 version.

I think damaging (instead of insta-killing) lava is a good idea. That aside, I'm just curious how it's going to look meshed

Nice work.

Comment

I've given the latest version a run through up to 20 kills against a bot player, and the feedback I have is:

- Definitely feels like a Quake level, but not in a way that detracts from the game play. I really like the atmosphere, and the level feels nice and open. The flow of the map is good, with that vest room being the main focus as you intended. Really liked that room as the central that it was a good centerfold.

- The lava killing one shot doesn't bother me too much personally, especially not near the belt. It is a bit of risk to go for it, and I like that. However I know most other people aren't big on it, so really up to you and others. Maybe if you keep it insta kill, make it a deep hole or something and keep the rest as lava, so that people don't get confused between different volumes.

- The structure that the teleporter exit is part of is a little shorter than the rest of the walls around it. I found that I was able to get on top of there using jump boots. If this is part of your design, no problem, but thought I would point it out just in case.

- The bots don't know how to handle getting back from the belt area if they don't have jump boots. This is a pretty big issue for bot play, but won't affect humans at all.

- I personally don't like belt or keg on duel maps due to the amount of power given to the person that picks it up. I found that you can pretty much grab the belt and then just scour for vials and the other armor pieces to keep you stocked. There is little room to be killed unless you really stuff it up (say jumping into lava :P)

- The health pick up on top of the box does feel off to me. I found that it was quite difficult to get to, and when you do get there, there is a very visible stumble which doesn't feel great.

- The stairs near the teleporter exit feel too steep and go to high I believe, which makes it hard to see what is happening in front of you when going up. Maybe making the stair case longer would fix this issue.

That is pretty much everything. I really enjoyed playing on this map, and will give it a shot with 3 players soon, as I think that would work really nicely. Great work so far!
                          My maps:

CTF-DBMBridge: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-CTF-DBMBridge

Comment

really good feedback guys, truly appreciate it. i tried to rework some of the item placement along with changing where teleport leads, and the result definitely seems better. i am going to keep the lava. i am pretty sure i remember some maps from UT/Quake where lava was instakill, and if you think about it from real life perspective it's not that far of either (i know this is arena shooter but whatevz). people might come with assumptions about how lava behaves but you play the map a few times, and you know what to expect. i have experienced a lot of "fun frustration" that has come from this lava behavior.

anyway, here's WIP 4 download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...wsNoEditor.pak

and a duel video against godlike bot

changelog

- teleporter now leads to a different place on upper level
                            - belt spawns in the middle of the map, many pickups have been adjusted correspondingly
                            - old belt place is now slightly wider which makes the jump
                            - removed the possibility to jump on a structure which was mentioned by dolphinbuffman
                            - added navblocking volume so that the bot isn't going to get stuck in the lava place anymore
                            - ammo placement has been completely reworked

still have to look into this
                            Originally posted by DolphinBuffMan View Post
                            The stairs near the teleporter exit feel too steep and go to high I believe, which makes it hard to see what is happening in front of you when going up. Maybe making the stair case longer would fix this issue.

Comment

hmm, armors now are too close, sorry and why have u changed a teleport destination? That was cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X