Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-SinkHole

Hello,

My name is Raul Aparicio, ive been an enviroment artist working on the industry for quiet a while. Been lurking the forums for a bit, looking at all the cool stuff you guys have been doing. As well as plying UT at least 30 minutes every day, sometimes longer depending on how much fun im having. I wanted to share with you guys a map i started working on last week. Is definately not my first map..but it will be the first map i make from start to finish. My goal is to submit it to the market as a free item for the community.

The low down..a deathmatch map, set in an ancient sinkhole somewhere in a tropical jungle. I want to make it very terrain heavy with lots of water. Sci fi is cool..but terrain is my thing. The map has 3 stories, and is a little chaotic at places since the terrain is very tight, but ive been testing on my own with a few bots and modifying stuff as i go along. The next step is to figure out how to set up a sever or upload this somewehere so i can play with people and get some feedback before i move on to make the final

Click image for larger version

Name:	blockout_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	357797

Artstation :: Personal Blog
    Currently working on DM-SinkHole

you can use dropbox public link for sharing maps. i'd happily run around this for a bit.
    PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

Comment

Originally posted by shdw View Post
      you can use dropbox public link for sharing maps. i'd happily run around this for a bit.

as a server owner/operator I'd rather he use this place ( https://ut.rushbase.net/ ) than dropbox as with rushbase the download link is usable for redirect on a server & dropbox is just a place to share file individually! ... rushbase will give him more bang for his buck as they say for the UT community!

ps also, take a look at the 2nd link under my sig!

good luck, map looks interesting so far!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions shdw and Laambo. Ive thought of having this in dropbox and share it to people like that. But im really more interested on uploading it somewhere, the ut.rushbase.net seems like what i need. Laambo, i had seen the community map test server thread, i am a little unsure as to how that works. Once i upload the map, how exactly do i play it? More importantly, how do i some of my friends to play with me?

Comment

Looks like some sweet progress!

Comment

Originally posted by raparicio View Post
            Thanks for the suggestions shdw and Laambo. Ive thought of having this in dropbox and share it to people like that. But im really more interested on uploading it somewhere, the ut.rushbase.net seems like what i need. Laambo, i had seen the community map test server thread, i am a little unsure as to how that works. Once i upload the map, how exactly do i play it? More importantly, how do i some of my friends to play with me?
            All you need to do is post in my thread that you would like your map added to the map rotation and I will upload it to the server and set up redirect for you if your not using a service like ut.rushbase! ... it just makes it faster for me to get it on the server if it's already done!

Our servers (atm) run in the [Internet] Individual Servers.... the stand alone traditional Dedicated Server Browser section like the good old days! Just locate the server and hit "Join" and enjoy!

... let me know when your ready to roll!

Comment

Wow..you are too awesome Laambo! Thanks!

Just one question..what exactly do i upload? the pak? and if so..where is it? i see different ones in different places.Where does it save after it packs everything?

Comment

Wow..you are too awesome Laambo! Thanks!

Just one question..what exactly do i upload? the pak? and if so..where is it? i see different ones in different places.Where does it save after it packs everything?
                Default location where your maps end up after you "Share/cook" your map ends up here: C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\MyContent

... just post a link of your uploaded .pak file (example: DM-AW-CampThunderArena-A6-WindowsNoEditor.pak) so we (the community) can download it and play it! ... or add to a server!

I'm sure once you do that you will probably find it on a Hub server as well in due time!

Comment

Up and running on {AW}'s Community Map Test Server #2 !

... Servers located in the [Internet] Individual Servers Dedicated Server Browser!

Comment

first feedback was a guy complained of never ending falling to his death! lol

... so, he obviously found a hole and looks like you need to raise your KillZ up to just under your map! ... that would be in your world properties setting if you happen to not know!

Comment

Thanks, i was in that same game! hehe..but i didnt know how to text back. So i stayed quiet. This was a lot of fun to play through all those maps. Do you have any other feedback, from yourself?

Comment

Looks like a good start with some interesting custom meshes.

Could definitely use some blocking volumes. With jumpboots or rocket jumps it's easy getting up on top of the walls around the map and from up there a good sniper could control virtually the entire map.

Quite a lot of snaggly spots where you can get stuck on or trip over something that doesn't look like you should. Blocking volumes (invisible wall type) can smooth out the collision and help a lot with that too.

Also some things that look you should be able to walk on have no collision so you fall through them when you try. In particular the large round things sticking out of walls that I assume are tree stumps, roots or something like that.

I don't like the jumpboots placement either. IMO jumpboots work best in the lower part of a map rather than the higher part.

Comment

Thank you guys for your feedback! Ive updated the map, with some of the suggestions. Added more health packs, moved boots to the bottom, added more armor. Ive also sealed a lot of the holes, and a lot of the collision problems. Cant promise all the collision is fixed. I deleted the first revision of the map and uploaded a new one with the same name. Hopefully that doesnt break things on the server.

Comment

I deleted the first revision of the map and uploaded a new one with the same name. Hopefully that doesnt break things on the server.
                            That will cause problems.

What most of us do is rename the umap with a version number tacked onto the end for each new version. DM-Sinkhole001.umap for example. You can't just rename the pak file in windows though, it won't work if you do that. Make sure you do the renaming in the editor, "save as" the new name then do a full rebuild and "share" it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                              That will cause problems.

What most of us do is rename the umap with a version number tacked onto the end for each new version. DM-Sinkhole001.umap for example. You can't just rename the pak file in windows though, it won't work if you do that. Make sure you do the renaming in the editor, "save as" the new name then do a full rebuild and "share" it.
                              yes, very important to do this..... now I have to remove your map from rotation so I don't have any possible conflict with redirect and the possible "Missing Package" error when trying to connect!

note: 26 downloads of v01

It's not too late, delete old, re-share/cook a new .pak with ... "Save As" DM-SinkHole_V02!

Also, you might want to edit/revise your OP with your progress updates as you go and a Download link for the most recent build to make it easier for the community to find/download your WIPs!
                              ... and let me know so I can keep up with new versions as you go along!

Comment

Working...
                              X