Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Scaler [Blueprint][Editor]

Map Scaler
    This is a simple script to be used in the editor which allows to scale the current level.

Version: 1.4
    Compatibility: built on Build 2926870 (3/31/2016)
    Type: Blueprint
    by RattleSN4K3

Key features:
    • Scale down/up an entire map
    • Scale only selected objects
    • Align irregular Actors to floor or keep them floating
    • Non-uniform scaling
    • Undo scaling on the fly
    • Store/restore selection
    • Work on any scaled level, changes will be updated to previous scales

Preview: (Gifv; Mirror)

Preview Undo

Spoiler

Preview Dynamic undo update

Spoiler

Preview Store/Restore selection

Spoiler

Preview Scale selection + Override pivot

Spoiler

Installation:
    • Extract the archive
    • Move/copy "MapScaler.uasset" into the content folder of Unreal Tournament
      ('UnrealTournamentEditor' is the root of the editor installation and may differ)
      Code:
      .\UnrealTournament\Content
      with native support
    • Install the plugin
    • Verify if you have these files:
      .\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Plugins\MapScaler\MapScalerPlugin.uplugin
      .\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Plugins\MapScaler\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-MapScalerPlugin.dll

Usage:
    • Open your map
    • Place the "MapScaler" actor into your map
    • Select the actor and set up "Scale factor" to your desired scale
    • Click on "Scale" once in order to start the process
    • After the scaling process is done, which should be immediately, you can delete the actor

Note 1: Most of the action checkboxes (like "Scale Level", "Undo", etc.) won't be shown as ticked ever.
      Note 2: Keep in mind, that some lighting properties are also scaled. Always check the scaling properties

Native support:
    In order to fully scale every scale-able and noticeable properties of some actors, the MapScaler
    has to use a native plugin. The engine does not support changing some properties from the Blueprint
    context, thus the native plugin features some methods to changes these from the MapScaler actor.

Only some light properties of static/stationary lights (including SkyLights, DirectionalLights, etc.)
    will require the need of the native support. Depending on the configuration, the MapScaler will state
    whether a plugin is required or not in the "Native support" field/property in the details panel.

In order to activate the native support, you only have to install the native plugin. Once installed,
    the MapScaler will print out the running version.

Note:
    The native plugin is not interchangeable throughout engine versions / editor builds. Everytime the
    editor is updated, the MapScaler plugin has to be updated.

Configuration:
    The MapScaler has several different options to configure the scaling, what type of objects are scaled,
    what properties should be scaled or simply check some data stats. You can find these options in the
    details tab while having the MapScaler selected.

Each time any property is changed, the MapScaler will check the map, process some data and stores it into
    the local storage. This is used for various features after having scaled a map or undo the scaling. Due to
    this mechanism, changing various properties may take time depending on the size / actor count of the map.

Check the MapScaler_Readme.txt for more information.

Download: (Homepage | Source)

Changelog:
    v1.4
    • Added: Optional native backend
    • Added: Matinee sequences scaling (movement track)
    • Added: Light properties scaling (e.g. Directional, Point, Sky)
    • Added: Fog properties scaling (Exponential, Atmospheric)
    • Added: Undo data updates for new actors
    • Added: Option to scale selected objects only
    • Added: Option to choose custom pivot (for scaling)
    • Added: Option to store and restore selection actors
    • Added: Map info in data section
    • Added: Ignoring additional actors when scaling (Pickup token, Camera actors)
    • Added: Info about resulting scale if multiple scaling processes were done
    • Added: Properly revert scaling for mixed undo data (all/selected)
    • Added: Option to use pivot's bounding instead of center
    • Removed: Component scaling not used anymore
    • Changed: Transform selection restored (for proper grid)
    • Changed: Proper data size calculation
    • Changed: Proper tooltips for various properties
    • Changed: Minor changes to clean up code
    • Fixed: Crash for scaling with a factor of 0.0
    • Optimized: Aligning of pickup classes (and tokens)
    • Optimized: Dropping actors' initialization
    • Optimized: Iteration of undo data
    • Optimized: Snapshot data check

Native support:
    • Added: Notifications
    • Added: Extended light properties scaling
    • Added: Version info

Experimental:
    • Added: Mirror mode

v1.3
    • Added: Undo system
    • Added: Option to turn off debug messages in output log
    • Changed: Renamed "Update" to "Scale"

v1.2
    • Added: Field for ignoring specific actor/object classes for scaling
    • Added: Re-align pickup bases on floor
    • Added: Re-align player starts on floor
    • Added: Option for re-aligning pickup bases
    • Added: Option for non-uniform scale
    • Added: Option for scaling Jump pad properties
    • Changed: Removed debug code
    • Fixed: Minor issues (such as typos, code cleanup, etc.)

v1.1
    • Added: Scale BSP
    • Changed: Hide irrelevant categories

v1.0 - Initial release
    • Scale actors (such as StaticMeshActor, SkeletalMeshActor, etc.)

Older versions:

Known issues
    • Fixed v1.2: Pickups are not properly aligned to the floor after scaling (due to base being offset from the actor origin)
    • Fixed v1.4 (native): PointLights (and other component specific actors) are not scaled.

Credits
    Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 04-08-2016, 05:57 PM. Reason: Issues added. Desc updated. New version 1.4
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

This is incredible. I haven't tried it yet, but SO many people are going to find this useful.
    Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Comment

Oh man Rattle, you're a frickin' genius! This is awesome!
      Unreal Carnage.com
      UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
      UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
        Oh man Rattle, you're a frickin' genius! This is awesome!
        I just tried it, it worked beautifully. I'm in the process of rebuilding the lighting.

If anyone's curious, I'm experimenting with scaling Lea up. I chose a value of 1.04 (4%). The map feels really good now. The reason I'm experimenting with this is because at the beginning of UT4, the scale seemed about right. Now the scale seems a bit off due to changes to movement.

Comment

Hehe. Nice. Let me know how it worked out. I'm currently fixing the issue with pickup bases. I'm also pretty sure I have to exclude some additonal Actor types from scaling (such as Playerstart). Don't know if lightning works the same way if the "Draw Scale" is adjusted and not the light radius. Also not sure if Blueprint classes work when they have construction script which is relying on the scale/position.

I mostly tested the script with the example map and checked if everything is scaled up/down. Additionally I tried some other maps such as Output and BigRock. Values such as gravity are disregarded from scaling for instance.

@Maul. I know. just kiddin.
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

There are several things I've adjusted with the MapScaler Blueprint. One major change would be the fixed scaling issues for pickup bases. I also added some additional options like non-uniform scale (overriding Z). Probably going to release/upload i tomorrow.

If anyone has ideas what classes should not be scaled, or others should be adjusted, let me know. I will also add an option to scale the JumpPad distance accordingly for instance (not sure about elevator speed though).

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMigraine View Post
              The reason I'm experimenting with this is because at the beginning of UT4, the scale seemed about right. Now the scale seems a bit off due to changes to movement.
              Quite honestly, this is a game changer (literally and figuratively ). Being able to scale maps easily so you don't have to be afraid to spend a bunch of time mapping that might be lost to new movement changes, is just huge! Obviously there are other factors related to movement other than scale but being able to easily scale is amazing.
              Unreal Carnage.com
              UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

Comment

Rattle, you need to post a pointer to this in the level design forum and maybe the general discussion forum. The word needs to get out about this.
                Unreal Carnage.com

Comment

Oh, it does BSP scaling too now!

Very interesting, I'll have to try it soon, sounds like it could be extremely useful.

Comment

wow! I can't wait to try this! Great great job man!!!! This should be added to the editor in the next build!
                    Win 10
                    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Updated the MapScaler. Mainly, this would be a final candidate as everything I came up with has been fixed or implemented. This new version allows some various options for scaling such as auto-alignment of pickup bases which fixes the offset issue existing in a previous version. The download is in the first post. As always, let me here if you encountered issues or provide some feedback. Keep in mind, if you suggest some possible ideas for future release, Blueprint is very limited in that regard which might be difficult or impossible to implement such ideas/features.

Changelog v1.2
                      • Added: Field for ignoring specific actor/object classes for scaling
                      • Added: Re-align pickup bases on floor
                      • Added: Re-align player starts on floor
                      • Added: Option for re-aligning pickup bases
                      • Added: Option for non-uniform scale
                      • Added: Option for scaling Jump pad properties
                      • Changed: Removed debug code
                      • Fixed: Minor issues (such as typos, code cleanup, etc.)

Hava fun scaling your map and try out different sizes.

Comment

This is the greatest thing since the discovery of a wheel
                        RattleSN4K3, please, keep it up and running.

One thing bothers me though.
                        Will it be "safe" to use on a fully meshed map?

CaptainMigraine, what is your experience so far, as a few days passed?

Now it works like a charm, really helps to adjust and check things on the run, but I wonder how does it turn out workflow-wise? I mean - the game still gets minor movement/scaling fixes which effectively change the feeling of a game space, pacing etc. Will it be safe to use this tool on a final touch, or should I use it to testing only and then adjust all the things manually? Personally, I work on grid of 50 for the most time, but one of my maps tends to feel a lot better scaled down to 95% of the actual size.
                        Last edited by insomnaut; 08-08-2015, 03:31 PM.
                        @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

Insomnaut I recommend using this as the absolute very last step for a map that is too far in development to make certain scale changes. For instance, DM-Lea benefits from a 4% scale increase, but the map id essentially finished. Going back to make manual scale changes is out of the question. Most importantly, scaling the map makes lining up meshes almost completely off the grid and requires manual alignment. I don't recommend modifying a scaled map. Keep an unscaled version for making revisions and make a final gameplay version that is scaled with no further revisions except for absolutely necessary tweaks.
                          Last edited by CaptainMigraine; 08-08-2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you, CaptainMigraine. This is exactly what I was hoping for!
                            Last edited by insomnaut; 08-08-2015, 04:15 PM.
                            @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMigraine View Post
                              Most importantly, scaling the map makes lining up meshes almost completely off the grid and requires manual alignment.
                              What do you mean by that?

Comment

Working...
                              X