Map Scaler [Blueprint][Editor]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    The upcoming version will require a C++ plugin if you want to have all features and issues fixed. I could not get any way (even hacky ones) to modify the radii (radiuses) for the static Lights. This is not possible for non-construction outer scripts. The installation of the C++ plugin is not essential to use the upcoming version. It just won't feature everything.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nice tool map and realy greatfull u putting this out for all to use, cant wait for the update

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I should have been more specific, that's for sure. I already thinking about a month or so already to update this script. I found some interesting core console commands to be useful. The other thing which I would like to have is real-time scaling in the game. This wouldn't work for various reasons, sadly.
    Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 10-29-2015, 08:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Loving this tool. Massively useful and fun to use.

One thing you may want to clarify is the installation since there are two "UnrealTournament\content" folders:

Correct: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content

Incorrect: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Released a new version which features a undo system. That undo system is not hooked with the original UE4 undo system. You need to select the MapScaler in your map and trigger the undo feature. Everytime you scale your map, the MapScaler stores each important property. This data is also stores when you save your map. There is an unlimited amount of undo steps but basically - due to the way I have to store data (with the use of a custom structure; which would need an extra Blueprint class) - there is a limit of how man entries you can store. This depends on how many actors you have.

If you don't clear the undo data, you can also revert the scaling back to the original scaling (even if 100 different scales exist, stored in the undo cache).

The download is as always linked in the first post.

Changelog v1.3
    • Added: Undo system
    • Added: Option to turn off debug messages in output log
    • Changed: Renamed "Update" to "Scale"

Originally posted by insomnaut View Post
    One thing bothers me though.
    Will it be "safe" to use on a fully meshed map?
    It works good with a fully meshed map like Outpost23 which I tested. I played on some different scale levels. I did not find any issue with it. But as always, I can not guarantee that it works 100% for every map. The MapScaler works like if you would manually change the scale and location for each Actor (and BSP-Actor). By default, the JumpPad props are also adjusted accordingly (to feature the same curve with the previous scale).
    Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 04-07-2016, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah okay. It's all about the grid. Thought there would have been a problem with scaling and some meshes would be offset to each other when they weren't before the scaling process.

I couldn't agree more that scaling should be the last step.

I think i'm gonna add 2 more features. Partial scaling (environment only scaling for instance, or something like that; not sure if I can check for selected actors which would add another feature) and undo system. Since the MapScaler doesn't support the UE4 transaction system (which is enabling undo), I'm gonna have to add a different system. I only have an idea of how to implement it but not sure if it fully works. I don't want to convert the mutator to C++. Having the Blueprint class readable and editable makes it easy to customize the code for various use cases (for everyone who's able to code Blueprint).

Undo is such an important feature as you currently have to re-open the map with its initial scale and re-scale it everytime you want to try a new absolute scale to apply to your initial map scale. For instance, if you want to find the best scale for your map, you have to scale it and remember the scale (1.05). If you want to try out a different scale (1.02), you need to know which factor you need use to scale the map of 1.05 scale down to 1.02 scale. 1.02 / 1.05 which is 0.97142857142857142857142857142857. That's too many steps and quite imprecise. Or you re-open the initial map and apply 1.02 directly. ^^

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    Okay here's an example. If I create a mesh that's 400uu tall, then that will line up on the grid perfectly at a 5 or 10 scale. If I use your mapscaler to scale the map by 1.04 (4%).... a little basic math.... my mesh becomes 416uu tall. It no longer lines up on the grid. That's not your mapscaler's fault, that's just a side effect of scaling an entire map. It would be even worse if I chose an arbitrary scale amount like 1.08300282330. lol

If a mesh perfectly lines up on the grid, you can just snap to grid lines.. but if the mesh has a strange scale, then you can't snap to grid lines... you have to disable movement snapping, scale snapping, and move and scale everything tediously... Could get very messy!

Basically I'm saying that caution should be taken when using a map scaler. IMO, it should only be used as a last step in map design, to fix unforeseen scale issues... or for taking any random map and making it cartoonishly huge (such as a bedroom map with low grav instagib - which could be a lot of fun on the right maps!)
    Last edited by Neilz0r; 08-08-2015, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by CaptainMigraine View Post
    Most importantly, scaling the map makes lining up meshes almost completely off the grid and requires manual alignment.
    What do you mean by that?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you, CaptainMigraine. This is exactly what I was hoping for!
    Last edited by insomnaut; 08-08-2015, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Insomnaut I recommend using this as the absolute very last step for a map that is too far in development to make certain scale changes. For instance, DM-Lea benefits from a 4% scale increase, but the map id essentially finished. Going back to make manual scale changes is out of the question. Most importantly, scaling the map makes lining up meshes almost completely off the grid and requires manual alignment. I don't recommend modifying a scaled map. Keep an unscaled version for making revisions and make a final gameplay version that is scaled with no further revisions except for absolutely necessary tweaks.
    Last edited by Neilz0r; 08-08-2015, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is the greatest thing since the discovery of a wheel
    RattleSN4K3, please, keep it up and running.

One thing bothers me though.
    Will it be "safe" to use on a fully meshed map?

CaptainMigraine, what is your experience so far, as a few days passed?

Now it works like a charm, really helps to adjust and check things on the run, but I wonder how does it turn out workflow-wise? I mean - the game still gets minor movement/scaling fixes which effectively change the feeling of a game space, pacing etc. Will it be safe to use this tool on a final touch, or should I use it to testing only and then adjust all the things manually? Personally, I work on grid of 50 for the most time, but one of my maps tends to feel a lot better scaled down to 95% of the actual size.
    Last edited by insomnaut; 08-08-2015, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Updated the MapScaler. Mainly, this would be a final candidate as everything I came up with has been fixed or implemented. This new version allows some various options for scaling such as auto-alignment of pickup bases which fixes the offset issue existing in a previous version. The download is in the first post. As always, let me here if you encountered issues or provide some feedback. Keep in mind, if you suggest some possible ideas for future release, Blueprint is very limited in that regard which might be difficult or impossible to implement such ideas/features.

Changelog v1.2
    • Added: Field for ignoring specific actor/object classes for scaling
    • Added: Re-align pickup bases on floor
    • Added: Re-align player starts on floor
    • Added: Option for re-aligning pickup bases
    • Added: Option for non-uniform scale
    • Added: Option for scaling Jump pad properties
    • Changed: Removed debug code
    • Fixed: Minor issues (such as typos, code cleanup, etc.)

Hava fun scaling your map and try out different sizes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    wow! I can't wait to try this! Great great job man!!!! This should be added to the editor in the next build!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh, it does BSP scaling too now!

Very interesting, I'll have to try it soon, sounds like it could be extremely useful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Rattle, you need to post a pointer to this in the level design forum and maybe the general discussion forum. The word needs to get out about this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X