Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Relics and Rayguns

Hey guys!
    The last 2 years I spent a huge part of my free time playing and modding for Ballistic Weapons Pro UT2004 mod, which is a more or less competitive version of the famous Ballistic Weapons mod from Runestorm, reworked for online play. For those who didn't hear about BW, it's a mod replacing stock UT weapons with new stuff and adding some of the core features of the modern shooters - iron sights, reloading, sprint etc.

I really enjoyed the Pro version of it and since UT4 was announced I was dreaming about reviving it in the new game and engine. And I think I was able to convince at least one member of the BW Pro team to join me in this endeavour.

Runestorm is aware of our intentions and didn't give any permission to use their assets or names yet, but either way we don't want it to be a carbon copy of the old mod - this is rather going to be something inspired by Ballistic Weapons with our own content.

Here's what we've been thinking so far

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Our working title is Relics and Rayguns for now.

We are going with a general theme of a living museum. Wealthy members of a nondescript future historical society collect various weapons of antiquity, of myth and legend, of exotic and bizaar, of alien and futuristic, and show off their collection by fighting others with them. The point is that we have a basic context to tie whatever weapons we want together.

Lorewise RnR exists in the UT universe - it's an "elitist" version of the Liandri Tournament organized by rich people for their own enjoyment.

Our gameplay features will be:

• Iron sights
    • Sprint key and stamina
    • Realistic weapon behavior - reloading, cocking animations
    • Dodge jump, sprint dodge
    • Loadout and inventory for weapons
    • Complex weapons featuring primary fire, alt fire and up to 2 special functions
    • A unique gameplay role for every weapon - this isn't going to be a collection of modern assault rifles all working on the same principle
    • Weapons balanced for online play
    • A huge amount of weapons to choose from, exploring loadout as a gameplay feature
    • Killstreak rewards with additional weapons

Or, in other words, we're trying to combine weapon complexity of the modern games with UT2004 gameplay pace and movement.

Running speed is reduced to about 80% while aiming with iron sights. Without aiming your weapon rarely hits anything - just like in any other modern shooter. Dodge jump is added to compensate for that slowdown - you either move really fast or shoot accurate, but not both. You cannot dodge jump while aiming with iron sights, but you can still perform a single dodge. Sprint dodge is a longer dodge performed during sprint, consumes a lot of stamina - way more than just sprint.

This is how it looked like and played in UT2004:

From gameplay experience weapon categorization was a mess in BW, which is why we're going with loadout only for now. Player chooses his primary and secondary weapons (from the same list), a sidearm, a grenade and possibly something else. I was also thinking to make some kind of jetpack models for players to explain how dodge jump or any other kind of double jump in general happens.

Even though we are not related to Runestorm, we already made a bunch of our own assets for BW Pro, some of which you could see in the vid above. Many of them lack UE4 level of quality, but are still interesting from a gameplay perspective. Some look nice and have normal maps and some are being reworked at the moment. None of them were properly imported to UT4 yet, these are just 3d assets which require coding and blueprints.

Here's a list of stuff we already have

Z250 minigun

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Lowpoly and design - Terg500
    Highpoly and texturing - Aberiu
    Animations - Xavious
    Coding (UT2004) - Azarael

Primary mode - incendiary shells, AoE damage
    Alt - fuel grenade (to be ignited with primary)

This one is almost UE4 ready - has all the necessary texture maps and animations and simply needs to be rigged with UT4 FPV arms and exported in game.

E90-N Particle Accelerator

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Lowpoly and design - Xavious, Ghostbusters movie
    Animations - Xavious

Primary mode 1 - damaging proton stream
    Alt 1 - healing stream
    Primary mode 2 - reduces enemy's weapon damage
    Alt 2 - boosts teammate's weapon damage
    Weapon special function - switches between 1 and 2

The gun needs some changes to be less of a movie ripoff, other than that it's normalmapped and animated.

Atomic Ronald Raygun

Lowpoly and design - BladeSword
    Animations - BladeSword

Primary mode 1 - medium damage energy projectile
    Alt mode 1 - charged powerful energy projectile
    Primary mode 2 - medium damage irradiation projectile, increases alt fire 2 effect duration
    Alt mode 2 - charged irradiation projectile - target receives a DoT effect capable of spreading to the teammates nearby
    Weapon special function 1 - switches between firing modes 1 and 2
    Weapon special function 2 - disables alt fires and activates protection against explosives

Lowpoly needs to be slightly reworked for UE4.

Magic sword

Lowpoly, highpoly and texturing - Aberiu
    Animations - Xavious

Primary fire - melee stab, deals fire damage
    Alt - spawns a magic fire shield on the ground
    Special function - grants 20% damage reduction and headshot protection against sniper rifles for a chosen teammate

The hardest part about this weapon is FX, we didn't implement it anywhere yet. The model itself is finished however.

BX-85 Stealth Crossbow

Lowpoly and design - BladeSword
    Animations - BladeSword

Primary fire - crossbow bolt
    Alt - laser guided bolt
    Has a passive invisibility effect which depends on the player's speed - the slower you move, the less visible you are.

Textures and UVs need some slight tweaking for UE4.

M575 Machine gun

Lowpoly and design - Aberiu, Runestorm, Bladesword
    Animations - BladeSword

Primary fire - fast firing medium damage hitscan
    Alt - deploys the weapon on the ground
    Special function 1 - switches between red dot sight and a sight magnifier
    Special function 2 - switches primary fire to burst mode

This one is partially based on Runestorm's M353 LMG and needs some parts to be replaced to become 100% unique - the muzzle brake, the bipod, the top handle, the ammo box.

Lazy Cat sidearm series stealth SMG

Highpoly and design - Aberiu

Primary fire - suppressed fast firing hitscan
    Alt fire - railgun shot
    Special function - activates invisibility for 3-4 seconds. Invisibility gets disabled as soon as you start to fire.

Only exists as a highpoly so far. Can be easily converted to a basic pistol.

CYLO UAW series

Highpoly - Aberiu
    Design - Aberiu, Xavious, Azarael

This is a work in progress weapon which is going to become our 3 main general purpose assault rifles:

FC-01A Firestorm
    Close to mid range assault weapon
    - 35 caseless explosive rounds
    - 8 incendiary shotgun shells
    - bayonet

combat role: neutralising tighly packed groups of enemies, causing panic

FC-01B Sandstorm
    Mid to long range spec ops weapon
    - 35 caseless subsonic rounds
    - smoke cannon
    - IR scope
    - suppressor

combat role: dominating dark maps, playing safe and solo

FC-01C Snowstorm
    Mid range support weapon
    - 35 caseless freeze rounds
    - cryo cannon
    - blinding flashlight

combat role: team support, crowd control

Komodo Assault Shotgun

Design - dfacto, Aberiu
    Highpoly - Aberiu

Primary mode 1 - radioactive shot, low damage, wide spread, marks enemy players
    Primary mode 2 - medium damage slug projectile, bounces off walls
    Alt fire - activates offset scope capable of seeing enemy players marked with radioactive shot through walls
    Weapon special function - switches magazines with ammo type 1 and 2

Only exists as highpoly so far, possibly a killstreak weapon.

Grenades

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Sci-fi cylinders are easy and fun to make, so expect a whole bunch of them - fire, smoke, frag, toxic, EMP, healing and others. For now it's a basic frag higpoly modeled by me.

NSX Recon Nanobot Launcher

Design - Aberiu

Primary fire - marks the target with a team-colored glow, deals 1 damage per second for 80 sec. Multiple hits stack by time, not damage, 3 hits max (240 sec).
    Alt fire - shoots a bright and loud laser beam, deals 20 damage. Additionally shooting a marked target explodes the DoT and applies all remaining damage at once. Consumes 40% weapon charge. 1 kill = at least 3 shots.
    Weapon function 1 - switches between special functions - disarm, spy, taunt.
    Weapon function 2 - activates special functions

Disarm: disarms the last marked target by locking it's weapon and holding the fire button until the current magazine is empty. Consumes 100% weapon charge, removes the DoT from the target. If the target suicides during disarm, this counts as kill.
    Spy: activates spectator mode on the last marked target. Consumes charge over time.
    Taunt: activates a random bot taunt speed up to 2x for the last marked target. The weapon then uses it's holo screen to report: "success! target humiliated". Consumes 20% charge.

Only exists as a concept art so far.

FSSG Marksman Rifle

Lowpoly, design and animations - BladeSword

Primary fire - medium damage fast firing hitscan
    Alt fire - low damage incendiary hitscan
    Weapon special - IR scope

A heavy and difficult to use but rewarding sniper rifle. Needs to be retextured for UE4.

Conqueror MGL

Lowpoly, design and animations - BladeSword

Primary fire - grenade
    Alt fire - timed grenade

A killstreak weapon. Needs to be retextured for UE4.

Longhorn Repeater

Lowpoly, design and animations - Xavious

Primary fire - timed grenade, can be exploded manually
    Alt fire - projectile shotgun

Needs to be retextured for UE4, but is totally worth it. This weapon proved to be a great counter to camping tactics.

Bulldog Autocannon

Lowpoly, design and animations - Xavious

Primary fire - hitscan bolt
    Alt fire - grenade

Basically a bolter, simple and useful. Needs to be retextured for UE4.

The list is not complete and will be updated from time to time.

I was thinking to create a starting set of 10-11 weapons, implement basic gameplay features, release the beta version and see if people like it or not.

The main problem here is that our team currently consists of me and Captain Xavious, and the 2 of us cannot do much alone.

You probably know me - I did the UT Sniper Rifle, a bunch of other UT concepts and 3d prototypes and I'm currently employed in the game industry as a 3d artist (I work for Sperasoft).
    Xavious is animating things, he did some of our lowpoly models and a lot of animations for Sergeant Kelly's Bonus Pack and That Other Weapon Pack for BW.
    Bladesword is also occasionally helping from time to time, he did a bunch of really nice lowpoly models and animations for SKBP and TOWP.
    But we don't have anyone capable of coding or at least making blueprints yet.

So, to sum this up, what do we need right now:

1) a coder
    2) FX artist
    3) test server

and if we succeed with this, the future plans are:

4) site/forum
    5) more 3d modelers at least capable of making retopology of existing highpoly models
    6) promoting the mod outside of UT community
    7) selling cosmetics, weapon skins, early access to new weapons, probably something else, but this all is pretty uncertain as there's no marketplace (and coder!) yet

If you feel like helping us with something or joining the team - send me a message here on the forum or in skype (my skype is aber1u).

One thing you need to know is that ideally it's a really long-term project, where everyone is supposed to at least have fun working with it - modelers having fun designing new weapons, coders having fun constantly perfecting gameplay and balance. It's not supposed to end when the first set of weapons is released.
    Last edited by Aberiu; 11-19-2015, 06:46 AM.
    ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

These are really awesome man love the designs
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

Comment

I have appreciated everything you guys did for UT2004 and would happily buy anything that you make for UT4.

However, I would say that I'll personally have to hold off R&R until Epic actually commits to doing a final release of UT4, because I'm not entirely convinced about that ever happening. Many publishers these days are so cautious that they just get stuck in never-ending "Early Access", and even hyped or popular projects can still feel as doubtful as anything on KickStarter.

Best of luck with your venture though - if I had any relevant abilities, I'd definitely consider contributing.
      Last edited by Skaldy; 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Ballistic Weapons shall never die.

I can't say I can help modelling, but I have done backstories and death messages for Sgt. Kelly's weapon pack and BW Pro. So if you do need those, give me a shout. Otherwise, looking forward to wrecking bots with Ballistic Weapons again.

Comment

That shotgun looks like fun.

Comment

What about ballistic gore system?

Comment

As I said, this isn't going to ba a copy of Ballistic Weapons. We are using our own assets, aiming for a slightly more fast-paced gameplay and our priority is going to be balanced online play, not offline fun.
              ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Originally posted by Aberiu View Post
                As I said, this isn't going to ba a copy of Ballistic Weapons. We are using our own assets, aiming for a slightly more fast-paced gameplay and our priority is going to be balanced online play, not offline fun.
                Need to have both in mind, IMHO. So everyone can play, online or off. What if someone leaves and the player is replaced by a bot? They won't know how to use it.

I get it. Online play is your prerogative, but UT has singelplayer elements as well, keep it in mind.

Comment

I can host a Test server if you ever get the required people. I would also love to take part and test out the project if it ever gets far with coding.

Comment

Oh man, this look sick! You are super talented dude, I'm really glad that you are doing this. It's also very inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by SX View Post
                      Need to have both in mind, IMHO. So everyone can play, online or off. What if someone leaves and the player is replaced by a bot? They won't know how to use it.

I get it. Online play is your prerogative, but UT has singelplayer elements as well, keep it in mind.
                      I feel like I should mention that BW Pro has superior bot code to standard BW. We don't plan to make it unplayable offline, but we have our priorities in online play. Features that can only be fully appreciated offline are made at the expense of online stability and game play. We want to maximize our development time towards our goal, to have a diverse and intricate set of weapons geared towards competitive online game play.

Comment

Never heard of Ballistic Weapons for UT before but after viewing a video it seems like it would be fun.

gl!
                        UT4 Mutators: [Server Config] [Monster Announcer]
                        UT4 Maps: [Ported UT99 Maps]

Comment

Originally posted by 'The Xavious' View Post
                          I feel like I should mention that BW Pro has superior bot code to standard BW. We don't plan to make it unplayable offline, but we have our priorities in online play. Features that can only be fully appreciated offline are made at the expense of online stability and game play. We want to maximize our development time towards our goal, to have a diverse and intricate set of weapons geared towards competitive online game play.
                          Hello old friend, good to see you again. And your reply makes me feel at ease.

Looking forward to see this in action one day.

Comment

We have a scope here about making an online multiplayer project that combines all sorts of weapons from realistic, medieval, magic, sci fi with distinctive roles, effectiveness and weaknesses, and a degree of movement for fast paced gameplay.
                            I wouldn't say that some features are out of the question. There is a thing to get into account; while I consider some of them to be kind of important. We don't have the manpower to go into something with all the crazy features we can think about. So if anyone are willing to help us adding certain features, go ahead.

Comment

Working...
                            X