Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Devs planning to sell maps on the marketplace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devs planning to sell maps on the marketplace?

I just saw they added a map to the market place, and they said it's free.
    Does this mean they are planning to sell maps on the marketplace later on?

A choice like this will likely be left up to the author of the map.
    :|

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
      A choice like this will likely be left up to the author of the map.
      If they get the cost right I could be on board. I hate the way games like battlefield 3/4 do it where they want $15-$20 for a small pack of maps that end up as ghost towns because of the pay-wall. I think a micro-transaction type cost could work though. Preferably they would be free though so it doesn't create the pay-wall and split the community, but I keep wondering how UT will make money so I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by maniajack View Post
        Preferably they would be free though so it doesn't create the pay-wall and split the community, but I keep wondering how UT will make money so I'm trying to keep an open mind.
        This has been my fear ever since UT4 was announced as F2P with a mod market. Worst thing would be fragmenting a community where in the end you have to spend loads of cash on many different small purchases and most players give up.

Ultimately I love the idea of supporting the awesome mod developers but something like maps is a very touchy area since it splits the community.
        Best option for selling maps I think would be Epic periodically holds map pack contests and sells the pack. This would entice modders to want to make great maps, cut down on the number of small purchases, and ensure map packs would be more universally accepted/bought.
        That or something along the lines of TF2 where you can still play the maps for free but can get benefits on maps you pay for or just to donate.

Comment

I suspect that very few maps will end up selling in the marketplace and that those that do go up for sale will not receive much playtime on servers. We already have numerous mappers working on mapping projects, and it's only the very very beginning of the mapmaking festivities. The original UT must have had over 10,000 custom maps and mods. If UT4 is anything like that, they'll be tons of maps to choose from, too. Having developed a UT4 map, I can say that it's not as difficult as I thought it would be, so I would expect to see many maps in the future, at least maps that are of UT99/UT2004 in the art department, anyway.
          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

There seem to be far too many gamers who just will not pay for certain types of content, period. I just do not know if they should have the power over others to decide if gameplay related content should be free or not. Now that Unreal Engine is free and we have the UT Editor, I can imagine there will be no shortage of free content to more than balance out any percentage of premium priced content. For this reason, I really see no harm to the health of the community if some mappers decide to charge for the maps.
            Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by gnsi View Post
              I just saw they added a map to the market place, and they said it's free.
              Does this mean they are planning to sell maps on the marketplace later on?
              Epic Games say, all content will be free, only cosmetic stuff will be payable ( You don't have to pay for this stuff ). If the maps will be payable, Epic will have to change the policy on B2P. I want buy the game one time and get all without limits. If the maps will be payable, It would be another bf or cod with 100 DLC
              Last edited by DaminDesign; 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Epic could do the same as valve with TF2s map stamps. Have the maps all be free but you can donate to the map author/s.
                Last edited by infectedfury; 03-16-2015, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by infectedfury View Post
                  Epic could do the save as valve with TF2s map stamps. Have the maps all be free but you can donate to the map author/s.
                  That's a cool idea. Maybe it doesn't have to be a donate thing either, maybe a pay-what-you-want system.
                  3d Artist
                  UT Cosmetic Items |
                  UT Cybernetic Build

Comment

I think Epic are smart enough that they will find a way (not necessarily the -best- way) to have the best of both worlds, so to speak. They are likely to find a feasible solution to this.

That said, I know I'm in a minority here, but I don't really like playing online multiplayer. I put a lot of hours into offline play and LOVE local co-op, with the occasional PvP. The problem most of you are discussing is a problem confined to online multiplayer. It could potentially be solved with something as simple as a warning that purchased maps are not likely to have a lot of online multiplayer use. (Of course, you'd have to be careful to ensure people read the warning, but it doesn't annoy people who've bought maps many times before.)

Personally, I think it would be cool to let people host maps they've bought, and allow the people using the quickmatch function to be placed into those games. Of course, that would mean a lot of bandwidth wasted downloading a temporary version of the map onto the client machines, so it's probably not a good idea. Still, it would solve the issue, so it's worth mentioning in case the idea could be improved upon.

Comment

This will end up like Quake Live. Everyone will just be playing the free maps...

Comment

Putting maps behind a pay wall is simply dividing players and will not work well. Donations on the other hand are also known to not work. Maps are vital part of UT, and I would advise Epic pooling around 10% of marketplace sales
                        and distributing them among map makers, which is again distributed based on factors such as by Epic perceived quality and popularity of the individual maps. It is important that quality is equally important to popularity, to
                        counteract the snowbally nature of popularity and give good new maps equal chance to rise.
                        Proper incentive for community creators and map makers will easily return that 10% in value and sales, and with a fair transparent distribution nobody has means to feel treated unfairly.

Comment

A potential alternative would be server licensing for maps. Buy map for hosted server(s), then anyone can that can join can play. There were maps in UT2k4 that had annoying messages pop-up when run on servers that didn't match a specific criteria (I think the one I knew of checked the server name) and this wouldn't be much different except content creators would earn a little dosh.

Comment

Originally posted by DaminDesign View Post
                            Epic Games say, all content will be free, only cosmetic stuff will be payable ( You don't have to pay for this stuff ). If the maps will be payable, Epic will have to change the policy on B2P. I want buy the game one time and get all without limits. If the maps will be payable, It would be another bf or cod with 100 DLC
                            The content that comes WITH the game will be free. This question relates to user-made content

Originally posted by darkskyabove
                            IIRC the creation of content for prior UT's had no legal mechanism for the sale of such content.
                            EULA for all older games clearly states that any user made content for the game cannot be sold.
                            Last edited by _Lynx; 07-09-2015, 10:58 PM.
                            "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                            - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by Raidakk View Post
                              This will end up like Quake Live. Everyone will just be playing the free maps...
                              Ummz, previous UT games already had this issue with demo servers!
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X