Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TSK'S Helmet thread round 1: Medieval helmets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    TSK'S Helmet thread round 1: Medieval helmets

    So I'm working on a set of medieval helmets, I'd like to do probably 5 or so for the marketplace here is my first completed noggin protector let me know what you think!









    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

    #2




    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

    Comment


      #3
      Nobody seems to be replying to your thread, so I will by saying they both look really awesome I especially like how abstract that second one looks. I'd like to see that in game!!
      ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
      Frag video featuring Rookie
      Frag video featuring Phantaci
      Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

      Comment


        #4
        Holy **** TSK these are awesome! They really remind me of running around with the ******* sword in Chaos.

        I think the Infinity Blade team would enjoy them too
        Stacey Conley
        -----------------------------
        Unreal Tournament Community Manager
        Epic Games, Inc.
        Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
          Nobody seems to be replying to your thread, so I will by saying they both look really awesome I especially like how abstract that second one looks. I'd like to see that in game!!
          Thanks so much! I really enjoyed making that one. I plan on making a skaarj helmet as well, that should be interesting.

          Originally posted by Flak View Post
          Holy **** TSK these are awesome! They really remind me of running around with the ******* sword in Chaos.

          I think the Infinity Blade team would enjoy them too
          Haha yeah they will certainly pair well with the sword! I have to say the infinity blade guys got me beat on cool armor though. I plan on doing at least 3 more, (1 skaarj and 1 Female for sure) So please let me know what you'd like to see!
          Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
          Artist for Chaos: UT

          Comment


            #6
            Super cool! give us the skaarj helmet Great work so far

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
              [...] they both look really awesome I especially like how abstract that second one looks. I'd like to see that in game!!
              ^^totally agree, the back of the 2nd helmet looks awesome!
              WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
              Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

              Comment


                #8
                Holy crapola, those are amazing!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yep, they really look cool from the pics. Do you plan to spice them up with some special effects, e.g. in case you are in the lead position, so that the horn may glow or change their color or the metal knobs and the shorter horns in the midle start flashing ?

                  On the market place, most of the available helmets have this kind of 'extra' and i think if you want to sell them successfully, you need to add a 'feature' besides the great look they already have..

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by barsam2a View Post
                    ^^totally agree, the back of the 2nd helmet looks awesome!
                    Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
                    Holy crapola, those are amazing!
                    Thanks both of you!

                    Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
                    Yep, they really look cool from the pics. Do you plan to spice them up with some special effects, e.g. in case you are in the lead position, so that the horn may glow or change their color or the metal knobs and the shorter horns in the midle start flashing ?

                    On the market place, most of the available helmets have this kind of 'extra' and i think if you want to sell them successfully, you need to add a 'feature' besides the great look they already have..
                    I really hadn't planned for any sort of special effects, I just felt like making some cool looking helmets lol. That said if you or anyone else has some great ideas for that then maybe I'll put some in. As for now I'm gonna get them modeled out and work on the materials.
                    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                    Artist for Chaos: UT

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Started modelling the Skaarj helmet, going for something organic and sort of tribal. I'm trying to envision what the skaarj would have worn during their version of the middle ages.


                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-02-29 00.57.57.png
Views:	1
Size:	640.2 KB
ID:	344757 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-02-29 00.59.15.png
Views:	1
Size:	582.9 KB
ID:	344758 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-02-29 01.00.57.png
Views:	1
Size:	534.5 KB
ID:	344759
                      Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                      Artist for Chaos: UT

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by thatscrawnyki View Post
                        Started modelling the Skaarj helmet, going for something organic and sort of tribal. I'm trying to envision what the skaarj would have worn during their version of the middle ages.


                        FUS RO DAH !

                        If I can add a little suggestion, I think that the Skaarj would use helmets and masks that are more gladiatoresque rather than the Viking/Nordic one. It better show their competitive nature, especially beetwen themselves, and the will to fight and impress their brethren and gain the favor of their queen. They also have like savage tribes behavior, with frequent fightings beetwen clans.
                        And I think the helmet's horns are too much with it's natural defenses near the jaw.

                        Aside from that you did a pretty good job !

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Great work there!
                          Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

                          My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

                          Comment


                            #14
                            [MENTION=14867]Darkloser[/MENTION], I like the idea of gladiator style helmets. Though for the skaarj one I'm working on I'm going with something more organic perhaps these latest images will give a good idea of what I am trying to do:

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-01 00.35.44.png
Views:	1
Size:	677.8 KB
ID:	344766 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-01 00.36.36.png
Views:	1
Size:	647.1 KB
ID:	344767 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-01 00.37.39.png
Views:	1
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	344768

                            I see this helmet as a tribal sort of thing, a trophy of sorts fashioned from a creature the skaarj may have hunted in the past. I'm going for a sort of chitinous insect shell. Still a long ways to go on this one as its more complex than the others. Stay tuned.
                            Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
                            Artist for Chaos: UT

                            Comment


                              #15
                              That is way too much organic to my tastes. I mean I understand what is your idea, but there's thing that are truly improbable here... even for an alien race.

                              First that the alien head was perfectly shaped for a Skaarj head. There's no sign of manufatcuring at all, it's a little like I slaughtered a wolf and that the skull fitted perfectly to my head and cover it nicely.
                              The eyes still present. Supposedly, it's an insect (or something insect like) right ? But how the eyes can still be perfectly conserved ? Only the orbits should remain.
                              I think there's also too much imperfections. Chitin and shells possess some really smooth parts, like a natural armor but with organic plates.

                              But you're arts are still really well done !

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X