Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pass concept art for character hats that fit with the look of the universe

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] First pass concept art for character hats that fit with the look of the universe

Hey guys,

Here are some first round illustrations from Richard Luong, who is doing some fantastic concept art for us. These "hat" designs are in line with our character designs and are a good jumping off point to create "gear" for our characters.

I imagine there will be a lot of different hat types, some more simple/playful than others. These designs are for people who want to enhance the look of their characters yet still have them integrate well with the fiction and look of the game.

A woman was used as the paper doll here but these could also be for a man.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hat04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	733.6 KB
ID:	355154

Name:	Hat03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	734.2 KB
ID:	355155

Name:	Hat02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	355158

Name:	Hat01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	355159

-Chris
    Attached Files

These are good, not over-the-top in any way and perfectly fitting within the look of the game. Richard Luong seems like a very talented designer. I even have trouble picking which of these examples I like best because there's so many good ones!

Comment

I like these type of hats. With some sort of character customization like UT3's one, it would be a good feature to play.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
        Fantastic work. I much prefer the style of 1, 3, 8, 9, 11 and 12. But I welcome the others as well in the UT universe. Variety is good. My question would be, those concepts are very detailed. Are we still looking for a certain visual clarity or do we keep environment simple, but put more details on characters?
        I also thought exactly those same ones are more to my liking but obviously there should be one for everyone. :P

Comment

Really nice concepts, I was having a chat on irc about drawing a blank when it came to on theme hats (hence the silly hats); nice to see some internal stuff really nailing down ideas.
          Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 02-11-2015, 11:44 AM.

Comment

These are exactly the type of hats i want in the game, they really fit with the Unreal universe and are not distracting. I hope Epic will be strict with this point.
            Last edited by Krokussify; 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I was afraid that the hats will be like some stupid snowman head we currently have in game, but it's ok Really glad to see UT3 influenced customization, this is it! Keep it that way.

Comment

Fantastic! These are great. I hope some people's fears about customization can be put to rest with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Krokussify View Post
                  These are exactly the type of hats i want in the game, they really fit with the Unreal universe and are not distracting. I hope Epic will be strict with this point.

I don't know the situation these days, but as an example of "fitting into the universe" - Valve was very strict with the Dota 2 customizations. Character silhouettes had to remain pretty much the same to keep them identical and most skins ended up being quite subtle. It can be done.

Comment

I don't care for designs 1, 5, 8, 9, 11, & 12 but the rest are OK, and most importantly in keeping with the look of UT. It's a good start.

Comment

These type of designs should definitely be the model for doing hats etc. The wild west approach to hats will not work in UT where immersion in a sci-fi setting is so important.
                      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I first thought this thread was all about the silly hat I've saw in the live stream few episodes ago. Fortunately, all concepts are fantastic and there are so many awesome concepts that I can't even choose "1" !

Epic, PLZ tell Mr Luong that is a very talented person

It would benefit the game to have such HQ hats if it's fit with the character look ofc.
                        Stevie's corner
                        Maps : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

I love you Chris. <3

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                            The wild west approach to hats will not work in UT where immersion in a sci-fi setting is so important.
                            Is an immersive sci fi setting really the most important thing in UT? I always thought it was the customization. In fact going back and playing the old servers I wouldn't say more than 50% or so of games even take place in stock or even UT themed maps. Lego maps, Giant maps, Movie themed maps like helms deep, abstract maps like walls of Floyd and even the straight up ridiculousness of camel-toe hoes. are for me an extremely important part of the UT Ecosystem and legacy.

Actually since i mentioned it lets single out Giant Maps. This is a phenomenon that has become a HUGE part of Unreals legacy and personally probably my absolute favorite map style. Now where would we be if epic had stepped in from the beginning and with iron fists declared that all we could put in the game was vanilla inspired content.

Are maps and hats the same thing? not exactly but if the subject is immersion then the correlation is close enough. You cant say one is ok to break immersion but not the other.

Personally I think it should be up to the server admins what content is allowed on that server. Certain servers should be able to run certain content and if you don't like it you leave and find a server that suits your tastes. That is the way UT has always been and the way I think it should continue on. All of this talk about forcing everyone into the tiny little hole of whats considered cannon friendly content sounds like after a year or two it would become boring as all hell. Please do not strip the beautiful and vast potential for customization (be it cannon friendly or downright ludicrous) from this game.

-Edit- I almost forgot to add the most important thing I wanted to say! These concepts look amazing. that is all
                            Last edited by shadowscrawl; 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add soemthing

Comment

btw that woman used as the paper doll looks PERFECT for Lauren IMHO

Comment

Working...
                              X