Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pass concept art for character hats that fit with the look of the universe

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't feel the need to pick any, they all look great. Number 7 is utter madness.
    But too much details maybe? Not sure they will translate well into game.

BTW, that "paper doll" also looks great, certainly could be used as player model.

Comment

Wouldn't the Hats be weighted 100% to the Hat Slot - which is 100% weighted to the Head bone? None of the geo around the neck would work for this. Maybe 9 would be the only one that could be considered a hat unless I am mistaken?

Also this might prove helpful - ongoing discussion of what 3d artists love to get from concept art: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146676

3 is probably my pick personally since I can just begin to understand how the plating will work on that.
      Last edited by TeriyakiStyle; 02-17-2015, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Yes, the way the hats currently work the neck stuff would NOT work. All cosmetic accessories are static meshes and are simply attached to the hat socket on the skeleton. The designs are awesome but you would have to understand the constraints and exclude the stuff around the neck. Even thought those parts of the concepts could not be implemented as-is there is still a lot of cool shape/design inspiration that could be applied to other areas/designs.
        Sr. Mechanical Modeler, Epic Games
        Unreal Championship 2 - Unreal Tournament 3 - Unreal Tournament 4 - Gears of War 1, 2, & 3 - Gears of War Judgement
        Infinity Blade 3 - Samaritan, Elemental, & Infiltrator Unreal Engine Tech Demos - Fortnite - Super Secret Projects

My Portfolio of Mechy Bittles
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/yemyam/

Comment

I think these concepts should be posted as a reference for cosmetic items.
          The direction things are going at this moment is something I don't like at all!

It's funny to see a box on someones head, but are people really waiting for something like that?
          I think the tutorial on the fire hat should be removed and please use an item that would be interesting for the game.
          You guys are giving a completely wrong view for people to make cosmetic items.
          Or am I the only one feeling that way?

Make sure you use items which fit into the universe, offcourse a bit of show stuff can be allowed but not the way things are going at this moment.
          I browse the forums a lot and in the other threads they are making sure they build stuff that would fit as much as possible.
          In this section it jumps all the way, and people also tell them it looks good and they would love to see things like that.
          I'm not playing this game anymore if I see people running around with road cones on there head :s

Make sure u guys get ur priorities right. A lot of community people spend a lot of time into making this game look as good as possible.
          Please don't screw this up by adding all those stupid cosmetic items!

Comment

Absolutley agree with Andyk125. I shure than beginning of forming content with adding funny hats is not a best idea.
            The fact that the forum so many unserious works, there is a fault developers. I think that developers should publicly tell to users that UGC is not for thash content only (but ot only lore items too. i mean than funny items pertinent too somtimes)
            If this is not an error, and the developers actually find funny hats right direction, in which case many guys change the attitude to UT UGC.

Comment

I think Epic needs to really step up and take some decisions and rules very fast regarding cosmetics and talk about what their plans are (at least give some ideas what their wanted path would be like). Preferably this week's Twitch stream before it goes out of hands.

I get the impression a lot of people currently think it will head into a TF2 direction based on designed hats, road cones, buckets and what not.

I'd personally hate to see UT that I always saw as a very serious Arena shooter despite the sometimes silly character races and pretty scantily clad female characters (UT99, UC etc). Despite so, it was always "serious" and mature. I think the hats depending on content allowed could seriously harm that image and I'd hate to see that happen.
              Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM.

Comment

@Andyk125
                Exactly my thoughts! +1

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
                  I first thought this thread was all about the silly hat I've saw in the live stream few episodes ago. Fortunately, all concepts are fantastic and there are so many awesome concepts that I can't even choose "1" !

Epic, PLZ tell Mr Luong that is a very talented person

It would benefit the game to have such HQ hats if it's fit with the character look ofc.
                  Finally I am in these forums! Thanks for the compliment
                  This is Richard Luong BTW

Comment

Three and Five get my vote.
                    3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

All of those helmets are cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Butttornado View Post
                        Finally I am in these forums! Thanks for the compliment
                        This is Richard Luong BTW
                        Hi Richard

So, if there any progress on the first pass hats showed in the OP ?
                        Stevie's corner
                        Maps : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
                        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Will these clip throught a skaarj head ?

I love customisation, but nothing fit the skaarj...

Comment

not everything is going to fit every character. I'd prefer it if they went with the Dota2 model anyway, where you have sets for specific characters, instead of everything being generic stuff for all characters

Comment

Hey guys, after learning maya for a month, I decided to sharpen up my maya modeling skills and try to model concept no.3
                              it will be one-week hardcore modeling challenge. I will definitely try to post progress often, wish me luck

Comment

It's a shame none of these got developed further ... :-/ What happened? Are they in the game yet?

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Zaaji; 07-28-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X