This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] More Cosmetic items?

I've reached out to several folks (privately) in this forum about their cosmetic items, but also thought it would be a good time to go wide:

We're looking for more cosmetic items! As you can see in this thread we want to expand both our character and marketplace offerings, and we want to get more of your work in the game. Cosmetic items are a great way to add character variety; now that our bots all have unique personalities, a character with a mask could be a whole new unique character. And we'd love to give people more ways to express themselves with hats, glasses, masks, implants, hair... you name it. Anyone have new items that would fit well with our existing characters?
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

People we talking about weapon skins in the IRC, I know it's a little out of scope for this particular thread but are you guys looking at implementing weapon skins soon? Specifically I've seen requests for a golden shock rifle recently.

Otherwise I might look at doing some more, less silly hats. I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on the cardboard hat

Comment

What about textures/face paint? Maybe a couple of preset patterns with adjustable colors?
      My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

In the short term we're looking for anything that can add character variety - cosmetic items, new heads, character skins, or entirely new character models build specifically for the Thundercrash and Black Legion teams. We need items that fit seamlessly with the character designs (instead of more "sillly hats", for example -- those will come later) .

In the medium term, we're looking for weapon skins and character skins, but the systems required to expose those items to players are still somewhat in the works so it will likely be a few months before we have a targeted need.
        Jim Brown
        @EntropicDev
        Epic Games

Comment

I'm currently working on some CTF flag replacements, would those count?

Comment

http://www.twitch.tv/cafe_/b/671993493

Ignore the audio, unless you just want to hear a bunch of dudes talk ****.

Comment

@cafe, something like i started a while ago?
              https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...osmetics-Flags

Comment

Hi guys! I would like to offer my version of optimal customization of player

1. Head slot. At an early stage, you may notice that a lot of the guys have done enough things that are incompatible with each other. Wearing glasses and hat at the same time will result an ugly collisions;
                I propose to combine all that relates to the head in a single slot;
                2. Shoulders. Enabling customization of the upper arms. for some elements of thematic sets;
                3. Back slot. Suitable for a variety of thematic subjects. brutal backpacks, or sci-fi stantions. its all for player's choose and style preferences;
                4. Belt slot. favorite subject of Batman and againe: appearance of the belt and the items to be hung on it, depends on the concept of initial set.
                5. Stickers and paintings on weapons
                and - tracker-droid. player's nps follow your host (something like mechanic-pet)

Such a number of items allows whole sets of ugc artists, which can be combined with each other (the only problem - a set of one race is not well suited to the character of another race. therefore sets must be created for a particular race).
                But for that a artists needs to be able to use all bones for skinning and many many other thechnikal moments!

p. s.: @RoboCGI've been browsing the forum. How long have seen your proposal with flags! I think after the developers have given you a direct endorsement, remained not long to wait for the result! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                  In the short term we're looking for anything that can add character variety - cosmetic items, new heads, character skins, or entirely new character models build specifically for the Thundercrash and Black Legion teams. We need items that fit seamlessly with the character designs (instead of more "sillly hats", for example -- those will come later) .

In the medium term, we're looking for weapon skins and character skins, but the systems required to expose those items to players are still somewhat in the works so it will likely be a few months before we have a targeted need.
                  How about silly sunglasses ?

Comment

We've started to incorporate a bunch of the community pieces now. You can see some of them in my character thread.

Eventually we do hope to move beyond the head slot in terms of cosmetic items, but for now we only have the head and face available. Helmets, masks, beards, hair, glasses, facial implants, headphones... get creative and bring it on.
                    Jim Brown
                    @EntropicDev
                    Epic Games

Comment

It's definitely better to define what parts will be customisable before creating other models, otherwise it may cause some problems and additional work later. As far as i understand there is some "iconic" characters in UT - maybe its better to leave them as solid piece, meanwhile allowing players to create their unique characters by combining items that will be selling on market. down_limit did a cool breakdown, my suggestion is to separate models by 4 parts: full legs, full torso(with arms), head(facial features, paint, tattoos) and headwear (helmets, masks, hairs, etc.). Drone idea might be interesting. And as for guns - i'd like to see custom weapons, but with maintained color palette and silhouette.

Oh, and i've just seen few second from stream, there was new interface concept. In character preferences there are still text fields, but i think icons will work better especially then later you will have hundreds of hats ingame.
                      Last edited by Sumers; 07-01-2015, 07:23 PM.
                      twitter.com/SumersArt

Comment

Originally posted by Sumers View Post
                        Oh, and i've just seen few second from stream, there was new interface concept. In character preferences there are still text fields, but i think icons will work better especially then later you will have hundreds of hats ingame.
                        The long term plan is to go in a whole new direction similar to what you've suggested. The images from the stream only represent a re-skin of the existing UI since we don't have a UI programmer right now.

The same holds true for characters. For now, we have only the head and glasses spots for customization. That is likely to change once we develop a full system.
                        Jim Brown
                        @EntropicDev
                        Epic Games

Comment

Update!

Added New Cosmetic Items to the game:
                          Generic Beanie (Black, Grey, White)
                          Sunglasses (Black)
                          Nanoblack Helm (Black, Green)
                          Energy Helm (Black, Silver)
                          Phayder Stealth Series Helm (Green, Black)
                          Thundercrash Sunglasses (white + logo)
                          Thundercrash Beret (Green, Red)
                          Elite Assassin Helm (Green, Black)
                          Thundercrash Beanie (Green, Red, White)

HUGE thanks to everyone who's contributed so far. Looks like we'll be handing out some new tags.

Also got this from Pern, which some of you might find useful:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	NecrisMaleCosmetics.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	338649

Nothing OFFICIAL there, mind you, just spitballing on what we might do in the future.
                          Attached Files
                          Jim Brown
                          @EntropicDev
                          Epic Games

Comment

Wooo! More stuff! I really like that necris cape/jacket in the top right.

Comment

Yeah! Get this train a-rollin!

Comment

Working...
                              X