This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] How to participate in Unreal Tournament development

We’re excited to have so many talented developers from the Unreal Tournament community interested in participating in the development of Unreal Tournament.

We’re building a small prototype deathmatch alpha for testing design ideas and to provide a framework for further feature development. This framework is still rough, but now in good enough shape that we are actively seeking community developers to start working on core functionality needs (see our trello board, https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...g-Trello-Board ) or creating mods and providing feedback on that process.

There are several ways for the community to contribute to development:
    • Epic is implementing or managing development tasks related to core game functionality.
    • Prototyping core functionality is a very useful way to support the design discussions, especially for proposing or promoting concepts new to Unreal Tournament.
    • Many major features, such as support for competitive play and match spectating (UTV, etc.) are well suited to be community led efforts. We will participate in the design and architecture discussions for these features and support development as needed.
    • We’ll also support the development of mod projects that extend Unreal Tournament in whatever direction the developers want to go.

If you want to contribute content to our project, head over to the Art Development forum for more discussion on the content creation process.
    Last edited by FIXMESTEVE; 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM.

So, to what extent is the community contributing? I see people working on stuff like basic character movement and even the main menu of the game. Should we just hold off until Epic tells us exactly what needs to be worked on?

Comment

It's answered in the post above. You can find more detailed posts in the other sub sections.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Steve.
        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot provide any code, GFX or maps but I can offer my long-standing gaming experiences (from UT'99, UT 2003, UT 2004 and UT 3) and might support you so far by telling if a map is playable, if sounds are too annoying, loud/silent, if graphics are too brihgt/dark or buggy, if weapons are too unbalanced or characters too difficult in handling. I also offer translations of text from English into German.
          So whenever this kind of help is appreciated, just let me (and others) know.

Comment

Hi all, I was also searching for the section where we can offer our help (free of charge of course) to do some testwork. I have created some maps in UnrealEd, several voicepacks and skins but I guess that won't do much within the new engine. However I am a experienced tester for my work (basically websites and webservices) and I have played UT for ages, same as my fiancé. We are really looking forward to the new game and we would like to help out. If there is anything we can do regarding testing UT4 we would love to volunteer (with or without testscripts).

Comment

Contributions can also be related to write documentation, find bugs and solve bugs. Even testing in different environments and compilers can also be useful.

I'm interested in the general settings, this game would be nice to have lower system requirements but also a lot of options for gaming computers. I always found annoying that in one old computer UT 2004 runs in maximum quality over 60fps and UT3 cannot run in lower at 30fps...

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
                We’re building a small prototype deathmatch alpha for testing design ideas and to provide a framework for further feature development.
                Any estimated ETA for this?
                Last edited by gzv; 05-17-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

lol... meh
                  Last edited by Chaos8192; 08-21-2014, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to say that this is a great idea! For me UT has always been, not only about fast paced good time fun, but really the modding community. This is a very forward thinking idea, and I hope it is truly a success. I look forward to everyone's ideas, as well as contributing as much as I can.

Comment

Thanks for offering to help with testing! Testing and helping to organize community test efforts will be very important for Unreal Tournament, and having experienced testers involved in the community effort will be extremely valuable. When the game progresses to the point where we need to scale up more formal testing efforts, I'll open a testing sub-forum to organize this process.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
                        Thanks for offering to help with testing! Testing and helping to organize community test efforts will be very important for Unreal Tournament, and having experienced testers involved in the community effort will be extremely valuable. When the game progresses to the point where we need to scale up more formal testing efforts, I'll open a testing sub-forum to organize this process.
                        As a QA Automation Engineer (with AAA games experience) --I highly doubt there is any chance that you guys want to fork out money for a proper BTS such as Jira or DevTrack/Test?
                        http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/325/16447qq9.png http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7066/2364.png

Comment

"As QA Automation Engineer"? I don't quite understand where this qualification is needed. Regardless, developing tracking for a community project would be a complete mess without proper regulation. Even besides that, there's nothing wrong with just using something like Gitlab. You don't need to shell out to organize a project. I don't think the community should have access to this sort of system anyway. Let them submit bugs/suggestions/feedback, but let the UT Team at Epic organize it and tell the community what's done and what needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Troncoso View Post
                            "As QA Automation Engineer"? I don't quite understand where this qualification is needed.
                            Lol. It was a horribad attempt at trying to get them to think "Oh. This guy does QA/Dev for a living. Maybe we should look into this." Didn't once occur to me that they're a game company. I'm sure they have their own way to track and manage issues. =b
                            http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/325/16447qq9.png http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7066/2364.png

Comment

As someone who works with and loves the Atlassian suite, I really don't think it's necessary or useful for this project. Whatever Epic does internally, the only thing we really need externally is a way to see what work needs to be done and do it. There isn't going to be any rambo development in this game. Epic still has decision making power on all this stuff. Somebody programmed "air dodging" and submitted a pull request and it got shut down, and that's the right thing to do.

That being said, that doesn't mean there aren't things that can be done/proposed. Jump pads are something that is currently missing and someone submitted a pull request for a jump pad implementation that is freaking cool. But since it doesn't really have to do with core mechanics or anything, seems like it makes sense.
                              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Working...
                              X