This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...de-compilation

We code review all community submissions via the GIT pull process. You fork our project, then make changes then submit pull requests. I will warn you we are not lightning fast at responding to pulls. The coding team is already pretty overbooked so we only tend to look at them going in to build push or when an important bug gets fixed.

Comment

Hey guys, I am very excited to see that the community can contribute to this effort. The old Unreal Tournament was great! I am a Scala/Java/JS programmer with some background in C++.
      I would like to participate, probably by bug fixing to learn the code base. How do I start? Can I just pick a bug and start working? Can someone point me to some newbie bugs so I can get familiar with the work?

Comment

[MENTION=325672]Technotronic12[/MENTION]

Preamble:

Spoiler

First of all, you can keep track of issues/bugs be either visiting the bug forum frequently and help such users, this might also help you understanding the engine more, or visiting the public readonly Jira Epic has put up. I'm afraid there's no such thing like "newbie bugs". Bug fixes on C++ can easily end up in another bug, resulting into a crash (null pointer is the most common one). The issues on Jira are categorized and rated, you may look at some of them and consider it as trivial, easy to fix. Epic is not really working collaborative on such bug fixing (with the public community). There are some community members involved with the in-house developement (content, coding, sound designing, etc.) but the majority can only use Github. Just like JoeWilcox mentioned in the earlier post, using Github, providing changes by pull requests and awaiting responses is not gonna work well for you and them. Therefore, the list of open pull requests is still long, and some other pull requests were declined due to no interest or a different approach. So by trying and committing your changes, someone one Epic's side may have already fixed it in the meantime. This can be seen as having wasted the time of fixing the bug, but on the other side, you can say you've learned something from it.

That said, you can try working on advanced stuff. The work by Roman Dzięcioł (forum user: neai, his pull requests) was specifically praised and can be seen as example of how to approach such bug fixing (as stated earlier here).

I am not going to mention my own experience, in order to keep the sheets clean - make your own experience. Try being involved, feel welcome, work on mods (like gamemodes, mutators, etc.) and have fun with this new iteration of Unreal Tournament. Enjoy your stay. Looking forward seeing UT fixed .

Generally speaking (not specifically directed towards you)...
        Being new to UnrealTournament, UnrealEngine (4) or the forum, I'd consider doing at least some of the following points or keeping these in mind:
        • Create a mod (whether it's a mutator, gamemode, crosshair, specific actors, etc.)
        • Learn your limits with BP and/or C++; try to find solutions to a given problem
        • Check how C++ is implemented, how the UT framework works
        • Learn how to use the editor, learn to map, check how the original engine works
        • Share your knowledge
        • Help others
        • Work for free
        • Don't expect you're creating the next big thing; keep your expectations of anything you're doing low
        • Consider modding/coding for this UT a long-lasting experience
        • Do one thing after another
        • Don't step on each other's toes; don't blame anyone for anything, don't insult, keep discussions constructive (or at least keep it civil)
        • Support the community; support the UT team; support anyone's work
        • and lastly, crediting is an important part of the creating developing community, an inofficial unwritten agreement and seen as code of conduct (etiquette)
          [you may also check: Modding Etiquette on BeyondUnreal wiki for UnrealScript projects back in the days, still valid tho]

PS: Epic has an official Discord channel. You can visit it and may get in touch with the Epic devs directly.
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by Technotronic12 View Post
          Hey guys, I am very excited to see that the community can contribute to this effort. The old Unreal Tournament was great! I am a Scala/Java/JS programmer with some background in C++.
          I would like to participate, probably by bug fixing to learn the code base. How do I start? Can I just pick a bug and start working? Can someone point me to some newbie bugs so I can get familiar with the work?
          Thank you and welcome!

We're just back from holiday break but I'll see what I can find out for you
          Stacey Conley
          -----------------------------
          Unreal Tournament Community Manager
          Epic Games, Inc.
          Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Working...
          X