No announcement yet.

Random Blueprint rants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't this thread be in the actual Unreal Engine forums since this is purely complaints against the Blueprint system? I think it might get more attention if it was in there instead.
    http://i.imgur.com/YPMJexb.gif<- In hibernation...
    http://i.imgur.com/rINaOwn.jpg<- In hibernation...
    http://i.imgur.com/vFnvgtl.png<- In hibernation...
    http://i.imgur.com/87Zaa0g.png<- Waiting for weapon balance and engine optimization...

Comment

Rant #13
      Unable to use by-ref paramters in overriding functions.

Own created functions ("Add new" -> "Function") in a Blueprint can have passed-by-ref parameters. However by overriding the functions in a child Blueprint, the overridden function will be "implemented" as Event (in the Event graph) if the overriden parent method doesn't have a return value. When the function would work in the original class (returning nothing but possibly setting/using the parameters), the child class isn't able to override it. Blueprint Editor/Compiler does print out warning trying so. Testing it would gibt out any results.

Warning No value will be returned by reference. Parameter 'VersionStr'. Node: K2Node_Event_8895
      Workaround
      1. Add an output parameter.
      2. Compile parent class
      3. Override method in any child (will be overriden as function not as event)
      4. (Compile child)
      5. Remove output in parent class
      6. Compile parent class
      7. Compile child class

The compiler won't bother and the overidden function including passing values to the by-ref parameters is working.

What else to say: Blueprint. Gosh. Why?!?!
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Rant #14
        Inconsistent friendly/display names (slightly related to #1)

Blueprint properties (=UE architecture properties) can have display names specified by the meta tag DisplayName. This name is inconsistently used. For instance, that field is used for search and display in the "Add action" dropdown (rightclick on empty Blueprint workspace) but is not used for displaying the node. The actual property name is used for displaying the node (which is totally the way to go speaking of "programming").

Example
        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealT...mponent.h#L137
        Code:
        	/**  Max draw distance exposed to LDs. The real max draw distance is the min (disregarding 0) of this and volumes affecting this object. */
        	UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, AdvancedDisplay, BlueprintReadOnly, Category=LOD, meta=(DisplayName="Desired Max Draw Distance") )
        	float LDMaxDrawDistance;
        You can see int he following image, the value of DisplayName is used for displaying the node in the dropdown list. However, the node is displayed with the formatted code name:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueprintRants_Inconsistent_DisplayName_Different_names.png
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	349126

The used node name cannot be used for searching:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueprintRants_Inconsistent_DisplayName_not_found.png
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	349127
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Rant #15
          Dragging property/function/macro from "My Blueprint" panel (also even over into graph) switches to Rename-mode of the dragging/dropped property 8 of 10 times

When dragging a "My Blueprint" entry from the panel into the graph panel, reordering in the same panel, or something similar, the rename mode of the property will be activated. This happens with my mouse behavior 8 of 10 times up to everytime. The required condition is to have the item selected. This bug/issue likely goes back how the rename feature on Mouse click is implemented. It's a simple use case in most of the modern UIs where a single click will enable to rename an item when the item is already selected. However, this feature is still working when the item is already being dragged. The same feature also gets enabled for doubeclicking (not to be mixed up with clicking once two times consecutively).

Rant #16
          Unable to re-order macros and functions

Whereas properties can be reordered in the "My Blueprint" panel just fine, the same doesn't work for functions/macros.

Rant #17 (related to #16)
          Unable to drag and drop functions and macros into categories

Whereas properties can be dragged and dropped into categories in the "My Blueprint" panel just fine, the same doesn't work for functions/macros.

Rant #18
          Unable to reorder categories !!! for visual display in the details panel

Whereas properties can be reordered in the "My Blueprint" panel just fine and the details panel order is the same, created categories keep the order when they are created first. The only workaround would be to re-created the category you want to re-order. This can result into having to re-create and re-order every single category and sub-property.

Rant #19
          Unable to drag and drop categories into other categories (creating subcategories by dropping one into another)

Whereas sub-categories can be created by using the pipe character (|) in the category field of any property/functions, you cannot use the drap'n'drop feature to move 1 category into another. If you want to move a single category into another category (without having to move every single property), you can just rename the category and include the category name you want to have that category being placed in followed by the pipe character.

Rant #20 (slightly related to 19)
          Renaming subcategories will move the category back to the root

By renaming a category which is inside another category (=a subcategory), the renamed category will be moved back to the root (=no parent category). When renaming a category, the suggested name doesn't include the parent category even if it is actually required and given (can be noticed when dragging the category and taking a look at the tooltip). As a workaround for not having a subcategory automatically moved back to the root, you need to include the parent category name following by the pipe character (|).

Comment

Rant #21 (related to #8)
            Crashes. Crashes. Crashes.
            No matter how save you work on a Blueprint, such prelease like UT 0.1.7 has (a pre-release of UE4.15), it crashes so often. Already crashed 4 times working on a single Blueprint which is not even a multi-Blueprint file. Deleting nodes, deleting variables, playing game (and thus re-compiling), ... stressful.

Edit:
            Lol. Just after this post, I started another session. Clicked on a local variable (which then would enable renaming mode) and the editor crashes. This time, I justed checked the log. What a coincidence, it is related to this:
            https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...eference-types
            Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 01-29-2017, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Rant #22
              Tendency of BP to result into spaghetti code

The design pattern of linking nodes (also across the visible screen) tends to clutter the code much. This is worse when using (or have to use) nodes like Gate, For/ForEach with break and alike. Also the small space of the output pins of nodes such as Switch or Sequence with multiple outputs do tend to clutter the code due to having to move code around and apart in order to increase the readabilty, extendability and all that. Readability is a major problem of BP where the focus is and was on "understandability" and easy to use for designers. The needs of linking parameters to the actual source node (signature node) (in Event and Functions) makes it worse. To increase readability you could - and therefore it adds an overheada to your workflow - always create a local var and pass the parameter to that var and use it further on but that should be the proper use case of parameters. [I cannot fathom that a major release update (14 to be exact) doesn't feature a "Parameter" note such as it nowadays exists for the "Return Node" which can be added.] And speaking of "Spaghetti code", it actually can improve the readablity and clutterness of a single Bluepring graph (of a function not as a whole) when nodes such as "Goto" and "Anchor" exists, respectively nested functions (not comparable to collapsed groups or macros). Multi tab browsing doesn't make it better in any sense to actually "read the source".

Comment

Rant #23
                Unable to use function defined in Blueprint libaries (Blueprint Function Library) in Object based classes
                No matter how you sestup your method (const, pure, access specifier), a library function cannot be used in non-Actor class (based on atleast Object). Pasting code from an Actor class using the lib function will crash the parsing thread.
                Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 02-13-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Rant #24
                  Not being able to get the path name of a given class (not instance)

Comment

Rant #25
                    Watch values in debug mode doesn't represent the actual value in some cases
                    When debugging BPs, in some cases the actual value of a node isn't the right one. It happens often when accessing fields or array or alike. A time consuming workaround would be passing the value to a local variable and then being able to watch that local value.

Rant #26
                    No watch values in macros
                    If you debug a given macro, the execution works properly. But you cannot hover a variable or hover over it to see the actual value.

Comment

Rant #27
                      Lack of IsA(NAME) to check if an object is of a specific type/class

Comment

you moan a lot. go post feature requests on answerhub.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocopede View Post
                          you moan a lot. go post feature requests on answerhub.
                          Exactly. Moaning (thus the thread's name "Rant"). I am not here - in this thread - searching for a better solution or providing feedback to contribute to the engine/UT. I actively tried and it failed miserably. Therefore I am only passively give the problems a name, posting it here.

PS: Edit: I am also providing enough feature requests and even full (source) code on various other places than this thread.
                          Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 02-17-2017, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Do you have any tutorials of stuffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Crocopede View Post
                              Do you have any tutorials of stuffs?
                              I assume this is not an interest but just asking if I have any. The ones I helped directly, actively or passively know, I don't need to brag about it.

Comment

Chill mate. i was actually showing interest. Seems like you do a lot of stuff. Im keen to see where to start with blueprints for UT.
                                Im pretty solid with blueprinting, but thats building my own games. Not sure where to start when working on prototyping stuff for UT. Dont wanna break me game.

Just caused i tuned you, you moan a lot does not signify rudeness of sorts. its manly bonding.

Comment

Working...
                                X