Need Modder to create Battle Royale mode - you could save Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Modder to create Battle Royale mode - you could save Unreal Tournament

Are you a Modder? Imagine if you could be the hero who saved Unreal Tournament from the same axe that killed Paragon.

What if we could sell Epic Games on the idea of making a Battle Royale for UT and that it could potentially be better and more fun than Player Unknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite's Battle Royale? I don't know much about PUBG, but Fortnite is not open to user-made custom maps and mini-mods, but Unreal Tournament is! What if instead of 1 death, 10 were allowed you didn't have to suffer through a waiting period to play again every time you get killed, making it more fun? Wanna try it with only Impact Hammers or Chainsaws? Goo Guns only? 2x movement speed? Low gravity? Etc. Think of the possibilities. A UT version would also have user-made custom maps.

We need a Modder to step up and create this for UT4, just to show Epic that it's possible and that UT can be viable. I'm not a programmer nor a modder; so it's not something I could do, but I'm sure there are people out there who are up to the task. Imagine if Unreal Tournament Battle Royale became the most popular version of the game some day and what it could do Unreal Tournament. Maybe then Epic would have reason to assign a significantly-sized developer team to it. Imagine if people who had previously never heard of Unreal Tournament and who came for Battle Royale discovered the other game types like Capture-the-Flag?

Would anyone like to give a Battle Royale mod a go? Maybe a team of modders could come together to do it? You could save UT!
    UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Why would Epic want 2 Battle Royal games that potentially compete with each other over players?

Comment

We want it, not epic. And we want to find a game type that makes ut relevant, and there is no reason this will not be as fun if done suitably for ut, as it is in fortnite.

I have ave an idea for a pyramid map that gets slowly submerged forcing remaining players higher and narrower. But I also need moving a water volume over time, or in response to the number of players.

Maps will need less open space or less available hit-scan.
      Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
      www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

However I wouldn’t be surprised if a battle royals mode for ut is stewing in the mind of the Ut team
        www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

You will need more than just the one who writes scripts. For this mode, new maps are needed, the mode itself must be interpreted so that the mechanics of the UT fit in. So you need a game designer as well.

Comment

They should start with vehicles and Warfare/Onslaught before trying a Battle Royale mode (which I don't see as addictive to the masses in UT as with current competitors). And regarding programming, UT in its current form (and it will last for a very long time) is not suited for such big mod/task. So for everyone who is participating in such project: Good Luck, have fun as long it lasts.
            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I've already made a couple UT4 CTF maps, so I could probably pick up the Editor again and make some UT-Battle Royale maps. However, I'm not a modder. I don't think the maps would need to be as large as the Fortnite map; I have more compact designs in mind, but I think players would need 10 lives for it to be fun.
              UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by the_hack
                However I wouldn’t be surprised if a battle royals mode for ut is stewing in the mind of the Ut team
                Is UT even on the UT Team's mind and is there still a UT Team at all? That's the problem. That's the issue and the reason why I'm interested in getting this sort of project off the ground - to introduce the possibility to Epic so that UT4 doesn't get the same axe that whacked Paragon.

Comment

The UT team is probably still the UT team, it would be a bad decision to disband it entirely. The project is going well IMO. And they will be looking for ways to make it relevant today (without changing what-it-is), not abandon it to the past as most seem to be suggesting.

It does come down to gamemode, and I think the one discussed is worth a shot. Not a total conversion of UT as some seem to be (rightly) worried about.
                  www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Before you know it, it will be ONE YEAR since they worked on UT at all. That is unheard of... and doesn't bode well for it, sorry to say.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Add textures, add coop with monsters, add vehicles, add trial mode, add ballistic weapons, chaos and nali weapons. Battle royale is unnecessary in UT.

Comment

Originally posted by e1vp
                        Add textures, add coop with monsters, add vehicles, add trial mode, add ballistic weapons, chaos and nali weapons. Battle royale is unnecessary in UT.
                        You're missing something. UT as it stands now is basically dead, and even if it were to be finished off and polished, without a significant advertising campaign it would still be dead. In contrast, modern FPS gamers have demonstrated that they like Battle Royale mode. Also, Epic Games seems to have lost interest in UT and it's hard to say if the same axe that whacked Paragon will also hit UT. The prospect of UT Battle Royale might get Epic's attention and give them reason not to axe UT4.
                        Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 02-10-2018, 04:43 AM.

Comment

the UT team are the ones making fortnite battle royale arnt they?, I saw an article where clawfist was talking about designing the battle royale map, I certainly give epic kudos for fortnite, started out with some bad reviews then they made it into one of the most played games in the world at the moment by adding battle royale....im sure the UT team want to get back to UT and have some pretty good ideas for it.....I would love to see some sort of BR with vehicles for UT would be alot of fun
                          https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

Comment

UT as it stands now is basically dead, and even if it were to be finished off and polished
                            Of course it's dead, it's not yet born.
                            This pre alpha is not even an early access. A little different things. Why do we have to be ruled by the royal?
                            There are more suitable orentry types like overwatch for example. BUT I would not even want to borrow an overwatch.
                            Do you know what attracted players to UT? awesome maps, music and brutality. And you know what repelled? intricate game mechanics.
                            Now the game does not have those maps, music and brutality, but the intricate gameplay became even more confusing.

Comment

This is the exact thing UT needs saving from.

UT isn't dead because it lacks a game type, or accessibility. In it's current state the community can map and mod for this game, without having to recook everything each build, and make the game how they see fit, with nearly no limitation. It's not being done. The problem? The core game - the part that we can't mod - sucks. Ping comp model is terrible, even with near LAN pings, players don't see what's actually going on at the time (don't see what the server sees), the weapons are tuned to hide this fact, the scaling is still a bit off, and the weapons are also tuned to be "visceral" (easy to use/accessible) heavily favoring defensive play styles, and thus not retaining any balance, and minimal counter play.

What you're trying to make is essentially vLMS, and I promise you, it will suck for many iterations, until you can figure out how to make a stock version of basically 2k4 LMS work on DM maps. LMS was never a popular game type, and it was because of how people could hide out to avoid confrontation and effectively win." The entire appeal of BR is exactly that for lesser skilled players. The chance you can win a 50 player battle, with one cheap ambush kill.

What 2k4 LMS really needed was incentive to aggress. Something to promote confrontation, or reward a player for frags. This would utterly defeat the appeal of Royale for players who would be looking to hunker down in a hut, and hope nobody finds them until there is a manageable number of players left.

Really, you might as well just go full ******, and give in to the hit scan dominated weapons by playing on an open map, with vehicles, one life each, and include plenty of places to hide. You might actually be best off giving those weapons a slight RNG cone fire, and not make them perfectly accurate, so as to lower the skill ceiling a bit.
                              Originally posted by Mysterial
                              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
                              X