Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any tutorials on creating a new mod for UT4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any tutorials on creating a new mod for UT4?

I have kind of searched around and haven't found very much on just creating a simple mod. I have been playing around with the tools in an attempt to get a new gametype hooked up with blueprints. I am pretty sure this mod I want to make can be done entirely with the blueprint system.

This should use standard Free For All mode as a base.

1. Store and manipulate 3 variables on every player.
    - Blue energy
    Blue energy counts down 3 points every 5 minutes. You can carry a maximum of 100 blue energy. If Blue energy reaches zero your health counts down 5 points every 60 seconds.
    - Yellow energy
    Yellow energy counts down 2 points every 5 minutes. You can carry a maximum of 100 Yellow energy. If Yellow energy reaches zero your health counts down 5 points every 60 seconds.
    - Green energy
    Green energy is a currency that can be used in various ways such as activating things in the world or piloting vehicles. Green energy counts while piloting a vehicle. Level designers can add interactive things like opening a door or raising a bridge to cost X amount of green energy. There is no health penalty for having zero green energy.

2. Create 3 new item pickups in the world
    - Blue Energy Orb
    Replenish 20 Blue energy, 20 minute respawn time.
    - Yellow Energy Orb
    Replenish 20 Yellow energy, 20 minute respawn time.
    - Green Energy Orb
    Acquire 20 Green energy, 20 minute respawn time.

3. Allow player to see how much Blue, Yellow and Green energy he/she has on the HUD.

4. Increase the respawn time of all weapons and pickups to 20 minutes.

5. Player drops all green energy on death. (Possibly drops reduced amount of yellow and blue energy)

6. Score system and Scoreboard changes.
    - You do not gain points from killing other players or bots.
    - You gain 1 point every 60 seconds of survival for the first 10 minutes. Every 10 minutes you gain an additional point per 60 second interval. For example: After staying alive for 30 minutes you gain 4 points every 60 seconds.

7. Ability to bind a key to drop either a Blue, Yellow or Green energy orb. If you have less than 20 energy of the type it simply wont allow you to drop one.

That's pretty much the entire mod in simple terms. I haven't done much in the way of reworking the rules of a game mode so any pointers or advice that can be offered I would like to know. Its a pretty odd idea overall I think but I think if this mod is paired with a fairly large open world feeling level that has buildings and cool places to visit the end result would be a really different experience. You would be constantly trying to find resources and be worried about bots and players. You might encounter situations where you team up with another person or even trade with that person. Its possible when you garner enough resources you might be able to spend a large sum of green energy to buy a base that you can defend. Getting weapons and ammo would be a constant struggle. Vehicles would hold value and you would constantly managing green energy so you can use them when you need to. The idea creates a lot of potential emergent situations I think.
    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
    Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
    Twitter: @zZCastleZz

I'm not sure if it would help, but DM-Overlord was created as an example to show what was possible with blueprints.

I also highly recommend looking into SOLUS by Hourences. Very cool stuff!

=)
    Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
      I'm not sure if it would help, but DM-Overlord was created as an example to show what was possible with blueprints.

I also highly recommend looking into SOLUS by Hourences. Very cool stuff!

=)
      Ah yes!

So far I am able to create a unique game mode with all of its unique elements and create variables and work within the blueprint system. The main problem I am running into at the moment is that even if I set the level to use the new game mode I cant seem to make it run in that mode when I test the level.

Ill take a closer look at DM overlord.
      - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
      Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
      Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

they just said in the last stream they would release a mod cooking tool...also theres some mutator blueprints in the UT project files...im not sure whether these are actually useable though
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
          Ah yes!

So far I am able to create a unique game mode with all of its unique elements and create variables and work within the blueprint system. The main problem I am running into at the moment is that even if I set the level to use the new game mode I cant seem to make it run in that mode when I test the level.
          Did you just create a new BP:GameMode without loading a map first? I was having a quick look at this last night but didn't get very far...

It would be great if you could post your steps that got you as far as creating a new gamemode based on TDM
          My UT2004 Maps

Comment

There is a few mutator bp in there like lowgrav,bighead,instagib. You can look at those for examples and create one easily enough

Comment

You replied to a 2 year old thread, FYI
              C++: Spray prototype | Compilation Tweaks | Maps: Quayside (inactive)

Comment

Working...
              X