How do I install UT4 on LInux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I install UT4 on LInux

Does anyone know how to install the new ut4 build on ubuntu? I have been looking everywhere but they seem outdated.

You download the zip from the super secret forum linked to from the release announcement.

Extract it to somewhere on your machine

run %extractedfolder%/Engine/Binaries/Linux/UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament

Enjoy the game.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
      You download the zip from the super secret forum linked to from the release announcement.

Extract it to somewhere on your machine

run %extractedfolder%/Engine/Binaries/Linux/UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament

Enjoy the game.
      When I tried that it says no such file or directory. Could you show a screenshot or something because im 100% sure im doing everything right except maybe typing something wrong.

Comment

You could try changing into the Linux directory before you run that command.

Beyond that I will need to see what you are doing and the exact result you get to help much more.
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
          You could try changing into the Linux directory before you run that command.

Beyond that I will need to see what you are doing and the exact result you get to help much more.
          Here is what I tried from the terminal. Says permission denied. Then when I type sudo it says command not found.

eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~$ cd Downloads
          eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~/Downloads$ cd LinuxNoEditor
          eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~/Downloads/LinuxNoEditor$ cd Engine
          eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~/Downloads/LinuxNoEditor/Engine$ cd Binaries
          eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~/Downloads/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries$ cd Linux
          eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~/Downloads/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux$ ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament
          bash: ./UE4-Linux-Test: Permission denied
          eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~/Downloads/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux$ sudo ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament
          [sudo] password for eshwar:
          sudo: ./UE4-Linux-Test: command not found
          eshwar@eshwar-MS-7850:~/Downloads/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux$

Comment

bumpbump??

Comment

Have you chmod'd the file?? i.e.
              Code:
               chmod LinuxNoEditor 755
              In Linux you usually need to do this with every file you download to make them executable.

Have a read here. Some useful info.
              Last edited by Gazzabwoy; 08-13-2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazzabwoy View Post
                Have you chmod'd the file?? i.e.
                Code:
                 chmod LinuxNoEditor 755
                In Linux you usually need to do this with every file you download to make them executable.

Have a read here. Some useful info.
                Ah yes thank you that worked!

Comment

Here are some full instructions for Linux users and hopefully we can sticky this or something.

1/ Download the latest alpha build.

- Login to the forum.
                  - Go to this forum post while logged in to find a link to the latest Linux client build.
                  - Let the download finish.

2/ Extract the zip file.

In commandline (Ubuntu : ctrl+a+t, Others: Just launch your favorite terminal application).

( Assuming you downloaded the game in ~/Downloads/ folder and install games in ~/Games/ )

Code:
                  $ mkdir ~/Games/ut4 # or wherever you put your games
                  $ cd ~/Games/ut4
                  $ unzip ~/Downloads/UnrealTournament-Client-XAN-*-Linux.zip
                  $ cd LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux
                  $ chmod +x UE4-Linux-Test
                  3/ Run the game

To run the game:
                  Code:
                  $ cd ~/Games/ut4/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux
                  $ ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament

Comment

Originally posted by basshunter View Post
                    Here are some full instructions for Linux users and hopefully we can sticky this or something.

1/ Download the latest alpha build.

- Login to the forum.
                    - Go to this forum post while logged in to find a link to the latest Linux client build.
                    - Let the download finish.

2/ Extract the zip file.

In commandline (Ubuntu : ctrl+a+t, Others: Just launch your favorite terminal application).

( Assuming you downloaded the game in ~/Downloads/ folder and install games in ~/Games/ )

Code:
                    $ mkdir ~/Games/ut4 # or wherever you put your games
                    $ cd ~/Games/ut4
                    $ unzip ~/Downloads/UnrealTournament-Client-XAN-*-Linux.zip
                    $ cd LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux
                    $ chmod +x UE4-Linux-Test
                    3/ Run the game

To run the game:
                    Code:
                    $ cd ~/Games/ut4/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux
                    $ ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament
                    I made as you specified. I received a error:

Spoiler

Comment

Hello
                      I got this error
                      Failed to opend descriptor ../../UE4-Linux-Test.uproject Someoen knows how to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Azby View Post
                        Hello
                        I got this error
                        Failed to opend descriptor ../../UE4-Linux-Test.uproject Someoen knows how to fix it?

are you running your game like this:

first locate your prompt in the dir where UE4-Linux-Test binary is located, then type

./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament (ENTER) (most folks forgot to add UnrealTournament when trying to execute this binary)

then if you running it for the first time in that installation, you have to accept EULA, and that is pretty much it... I think...

Comment

Originally posted by eBosnic View Post
                          are you running your game like this: first locate your prompt in the dir where UE4-Linux-Test binary is located, then type ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament (ENTER) (most folks forgot to add UnrealTournament when trying to execute this binary) then if you running it for the first time in that installation, you have to accept EULA, and that is pretty much it... I think...
                          This point in crucial : DON'T FORGOT to had "UnrealTournament" after ./UE4-Linux-Test the good code line is : >>> ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament

Comment

Originally posted by Lightiosys View Post
                            This point in crucial : DON'T FORGOT to had "UnrealTournament" after ./UE4-Linux-Test the good code line is : >>> ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament
                            This won't work in the current build because the game is using the Shipping config instead of Test.

Comment

Also this was posted in another thread to improve performance:
                              __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ./UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament

Have I missed a new build? mine is still called "UE4-Linux-Test"

Comment

Working...
                              X