How do I install UT4 on LInux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's how I installed it:

I'll assume you've set up the drivers for your machine (nvidia or whatever) and have other 3d programs working pretty well already. Maybe you're using the integrated Intel driver. But I'll bet you've got a discrete GPU and drivers... anywyay..

Download the latest client build from the link below. A fine place to do this is...

$ cd /opt

this puts you in the /opt directory, which is as good a place as any to download the file. You can put ut4 anywhere, really including your home directory, but if you want other users to have easy access to it /opt is good. Now grab the file from the "secret members-only folder" in this forum. It is called "the Linux client":

$ sudo wget https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-members-only/... etc
    [enter your password, which you won't see]

(if you don't trust wget with sudo for some reason, you can download it into your regular account and then cp it to /opt or wherever you want to put it).

Now unzip the file. If you don't have unzip you can get it: debian/ubuntu/mint: sudo apt install unzip probably will do it. Redhat would be something like yum install unzip -y But whatever.... you have it I'm sure, so

$ sudo unzip UnrealTournament-Client-XAN-3436913-Linux.zip (or whatever the file name is-- again the sudo unzip is assuming that non-admin users don't have permission to write to /opt. You can also unzip to your own directory somewhere and then cp -r the folder to /opt.

Then set executable permissions on the runnable game file.

$ sudo chmod +x /opt/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux/UE4-Linux-Shipping

Now you can run it with:

$ /opt/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux/UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament -SaveToUserDir -opengl4

Or if you are using nvidia with bumblebeed (optimus), you can try something like:

$ __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 vblank_mode=0 optirun /opt/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux/UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament -SaveToUserDir -opengl4

The various options there (vblank_mode, -opengl4, etc. are all things you can tweako get the best perforamnce for your system.

Depending on which shell you use, you can create an alias in ~/.bashrc to make a shortcut command:

alias ut4="/opt/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux/UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament -SaveToUserDir -opengl4"

And then type source .bashrc and now hopefully you can just type ut4 to get it to run.

Anyway, if there are issues with the above.. I'm kind of going from memory here.

Comment

Hey -- I'm trying to run this on Uubntu as well, but I don't seem to be in the exclusive "members only" club. What do I do?

Comment

slugzzz See this thread: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...sted-5-16-2017
        "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
        - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Excellent! Thanks a ton!

Comment

Hey! I'm a bit newer here, but when I try to download the linux build, I'm told I don't have access to it. Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteKnight30 View Post
              Hey! I'm a bit newer here, but when I try to download the linux build, I'm told I don't have access to it. Why is that?
              I'm having this problem too, I'm not authorized to access the secret forum. It's a pity since I created this account just to play UT, and Linux is my only platform.

Comment

Originally posted by IvanDSM View Post

I'm having this problem too, I'm not authorized to access the secret forum. It's a pity since I created this account just to play UT, and Linux is my only platform.
                You can find the download here: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-notes-june-28

Scroll down to the bottom. You will probably always find the download in the Announcements forum in the Blog post link.

Comment

I have installed it and it runs, but I get MCP errors about unable to save settings. These errors result in no bots for offline play, no mouse tweeks, etc. There really needs to be a sticky for linux installation
                  My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.6Ghz and GTX980 Ti WindForce G1 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz
                  Weekly Warfare Matches every Fri-Sat Midnite-3:30am (US East Coast Time) GMT -5

Comment

Originally posted by basshunter View Post
                    Here are some full instructions for Linux users and hopefully we can sticky this or something.

1/ Download the latest alpha build.

- Login to the forum.
                    - Go to this forum post while logged in to find a link to the latest Linux client build.
                    - Let the download finish.

2/ Extract the zip file.

In commandline (Ubuntu : ctrl+a+t, Others: Just launch your favorite terminal application).

( Assuming you downloaded the game in ~/Downloads/ folder and install games in ~/Games/ )

Code:
                    $ mkdir ~/Games/ut4 # or wherever you put your games
                    $ cd ~/Games/ut4
                    $ unzip ~/Downloads/UnrealTournament-Client-XAN-*-Linux.zip
                    $ cd LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux
                    $ chmod +x UE4-Linux-Test
                    3/ Run the game

To run the game:
                    Code:
                    $ cd ~/Games/ut4/LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux
                    $ ./UE4-Linux-Test UnrealTournament
                    I am constantly getting the message: ¨Command not found.¨ while running these commands. I am trying to install this game on a different partition which may not have the EXT4 (or EXT5) format, and it´s not my Linux partition, nor is it related to it. I don´t know if that could be the cause of this issue. I did replace the ¨Games¨ map with my own map called ¨Ubuntu_Games¨.

Comment

Well you can actually see "command not found" even when it exists if the binary is the wrong ELF type. The binaries for this game are all 64-bit, so if you're trying to run it on a 32-bit system then that's why you're seeing that error.

Also does tab-completion work? Say you partially type "./UE4-Linux-T" and then hit tab, does it auto-complete it with "Test" or not? Because if it doesn't then either you have the path wrong, or you didn't actually make it executable.

Also, have you tried running it with the Shipping binary instead of the Test binary?

Comment

./UE4-Linux-Shipping is mandatory. Test binary will not work correctly. 64-bit is mandatory. 32-bit will probably never exist.
                        No one sees what tomorrow knows.

Comment

Working...
                        X