Someone Should Create A Launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone Should Create A Launcher

Since the developers don't care about us Linux gamer's as much as they do about Windows & OS X gamer's, is there anyone who knows enough programming to create a launcher.

It seems so many people have trouble, not only finding the darn download but also launching the game so it would be great if someone could create something to make things easier on all the new Linux gamer's coming over from Windows.

Wouldn't say they don't care but there have to be priorities set somewhere and since most gamers use windows, it makes sense to concentrate their efforts there. If Linux was as popular as windows, it would be just the opposite.

Comment

Having the linux build be a complete pain to maintain and update sure isn't helping player counts I'm sure. I hate having to redownload the entire zip, unzip it, set permissions and then run it for every update. The least they could do is put it in a .tar.xz or something to make it smaller and keep the permissions correct.

Comment

What they should do since we are not getting a proper launcher is to put it on steam Linux.

Comment

[MENTION=9107]Goodolandy[/MENTION] - We absolutely do care and have been working to make Linux users get a better experience. We know we're not near there yet. The project is open though, if you know of anyone who would like to assist, we'd be super appreciative!
          Stacey Conley
          -----------------------------
          Unreal Tournament Community Manager
          Epic Games, Inc.
          Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Goodolandy View Post
            What they should do since we are not getting a proper launcher is to put it on steam Linux.
            Good idea but not before the game leaves the beta stage, it is now in pre-alpha stage... Putting a free game on Steam too early or too late hurts its potential.

Comment

Originally posted by rea987 View Post
              Good idea but not before the game leaves the beta stage, it is now in pre-alpha stage... Putting a free game on Steam too early or too late hurts its potential.
              Normally I would agree but given that Epic makes it difficult for Linux PC gamers to not only find the download but also provides no installer/launcher for the Linux version, having it added to Steam Linux is currently the best solution. Just look at how many discussions there are of gamers asking for both the location to the download file and how to launch the game.
              [MENTION=1513]Flak[/MENTION] - The team should reach out to Phoronix.com and GamingOnLinux.com in searching for help. It worked for Valve when they needed help porting their titles to Linux.

Comment

[MENTION=9107]Goodolandy[/MENTION] Stay calm, game is still in pre-alpha stage. Also I don't think adding game to Steam is an option, especially for Linux users only. It just sounds bad because if Linux would get it, then anyone else would want it too and I think this game is not even aiming for Steam release, Epic are using their own launcher.

I am completly fine (for now) about builds provided in .zip file. Hopefuly it will change soon and there will be working launcher for Linux version also, but lets not make up crazy ideas till then. Is the launcher needed anyway? Maybe everything could be managed in game, together with mod/maps shop?

Actually I had bigger problems downloading these .zip files because server host had terrible transfer and it kept cancelling my download at 10-20% when I tried to re-download the game recently. Also when I last time played UT I could only play offline games with bots, login in menu did not log in anywhere. Any chances for solving first these issues, like at least moving build .zip files to different servers with better transfer?

Comment

What about cross platform launcher based on chromium? With electron it can execute Command Line, thus launching the game, and it also have all capability of html + js rendering for having a decent launcher with news and ****.

Comment

Originally posted by azurinko View Post
                    What about cross platform launcher based on chromium? With electron it can execute Command Line, thus launching the game, and it also have all capability of html + js rendering for having a decent launcher with news and ****.
                    50 MB flavor of the month Javascript APIs? Chrome(ium)? No thanks.
                    UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

It's more than ~50MB...

But I really wonder how much of more programming you need to create something in C++ to build what you can do with modern web packed in executable file.

Try to atleast estimate hours...

~100MB space for launcher is just too little for nowday technology...

Comment

You're right. A launcher needs to be at least an exabyte in order to run a script to launch a game or fetch news.
                        UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

maybe its possible to create delta updates from the archives with xdelta3 for the time being?
                          Downloading 10GB lasts nearly forever on 150kb/s -.-

Comment

This set of management is helpful: https://github.com/DDRRE/ddut4/blob/master/README.md
                            Also checkout: https://github.com/OpenSourceLAN/gam...master/unreal4

Comment

Working...
                            X