Please help. Linux 2.0 brewmaster. Im dying to play. Been waiting 15 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help. Linux 2.0 brewmaster. Im dying to play. Been waiting 15 years

Hi there. UT is the only reason i game today. I have been trapped on xbox for years as i only had a pc to play ut99 once years ago. I recently bought the alienware steam machine (core i7) for the sole purpose of the new UT. I did not realize how risky installing windows 10 would be. plus im broke and wont be able to afford a key till after christmas. gotta get them kids thier christmas! anyways i was told that the new ut could be played on linux. PLEASE HELP. I have no clue what im doing. I wasnt pro at windows 95 years ago and i have no idea how to use linux either. Im hoping to play ut this weekend before i go back to work. My system details are as follows GNOME version 3.14.1, device name steamos, memory 7.7gb, processor intel core i7-4785t cpu A 2.20ghz x 8, geforce gpu/pcie/sse2 , base system SteamOS GNU/Linux 2.0 (brewmaster) 64-bit. What do I need to do to play UT and install epic games launcher? Your help is greatly appreciated. Happy Holidays

Go Here: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...Playable-Build

Click Yes to get the Linux Client. Download is approx 8 GB.

Unzip into a well-named folder (UT4, maybe).

Within that folder goto /LinuxNoEditor/Engine/Binaries/Linux and find the file UE4-Linux-Shipping. Change it's permissions to executable. You should be able to do this from your file manager,

Run ./UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament -SaveToUserDir -opengl4 , either from a terminal; or, make a shortcut (I don't use Gnome, can't help there.)

If it runs, you will be at the mercy of your graphics card.

Hope you're fraggin' soon!
    No one sees what tomorrow knows.

Comment

Sorry Im a newd. Ive got it extracted. Cant find descriptor file when i try to run
      Last edited by Damnationist; 12-04-2016, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Please run it from the Terminal and post the full output in a codeblog!

Comment

Just wanted to add that launching it on Linux with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 boosted my performance a ton.
          So like this for example:
          __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ./UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament -SaveToUserDir -opengl4

Just be aware that there's still some texture bugs on Linux for some reason. Certain player models or objects show up gray

Comment

Working...
          X