Git Build instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Git Build instructions

I can build UE4 all day long, but UT on github seems to be missing a setup.sh, and GenerateProjectFiles.sh errors out? Do i need to clone a specific branch instead of master?

Anyone got working build instructions?

See this article: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Gettin...eal_Tournament
    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
    - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
      Seems complete for building/compling for Windows and likely the best comprehensive instructions - alternate to the actual README.md...

However there are some things I noticed (by reading it quickly), and specifically missing what the OP is asking for - building UnrealTournament on Linux:
      • Missing instructions for Mac (cloing source, updating project files etc.) (or Linux but it isn't yet fully supported)
      • The path to start the client is wrong.
        Originally posted by WIKI
        Open the Game Client

To play the game, run %unrealtournamentfolder%\Engine\Binaries\UE4-Win64-Shipping.exe UnrealTournament
        Missing "Win64" or any other platform specific sub-folders
      • Although a client exe gets built, you won't be able to directly start a client with the mentioned command line.
        Originally posted by MESSAGE
        ---------------------------
        The global shader cache file 'D:/Workfiles/UnrealTournament/Engine/GlobalShaderCache-PCD3D_SM5.bin' is missing.

Your application is built to load COOKED content. No COOKED content was found; This usually means you did not cook content for this build.
        It also may indicate missing cooked data for a shader platform(e.g., OpenGL under Windows): Make sure your platform's packaging settings include this Targeted RHI.

Alternatively build and run the UNCOOKED version instead.
        OK
      • Missing how to build the source code to be compatible to the actual Launcher build. Otherwise, mapping on one version and moving/copying files over, or even packaging files are not compatible with the actual release you get from the Launcher build.
      • The section of "OPTION 2: SETUP WITH GITHUB ZIP FILE" doesn't specifiy where to click on the "Download ZIP" button, specifically what to check for. It's important to "browse" the correct branch, or by explaining how to checkout a specific commit, the specific tree.

The following pages do like similar, but result in a different downloaded file:
        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealT...e/clean-master
        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealT...t/tree/release
        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealT...t/tree/b82f21d (current build 11/11/2016)
      • Step 5 of creating shortcuts to start UnrealTournament (and its editor) is wrong. It uses the dash character (–; unicode) instead of the hyphen character (-, ASCI). A command line with such dash isn't working.
        Wrong:
        Code:
        Unrealtournament –log
        Correct:
        Code:
        Unrealtournament -log

I've seen some guys building it for Linux, but I'm not sure what the best instructions were and where they are. [MENTION=219756]davidork[/MENTION], have you tried browsing this (sub-) forum?
      Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 12-22-2016, 09:41 PM. Reason: Spellcheck v1
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Oh, I overlooked the ".sh" part.
        "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
        - RenegadeRetard

Comment

-ah took a further look at github, theres a release branch that has the .sh files.
          Building now, looks about right (compared to a regular unreal engine 4 build anyways) if i get it working i'll post instructions here and a pull request on github with an update to the readme.md

it'd be nice to have a build of the game + editor for playing/testing maps and stuff.
          Last edited by davidork; 12-22-2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidork View Post
            -ah took a further look at github, theres a release branch that has the .sh files.
            It got removed. Don't ask why
            https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealT...f5f0e95cea8f8f

For me, it looks like they could get rid of the .command file as that one was the wrapper for the .sh file, but not the other way 'round.
            Edit: Also looks like Setup.sh (and related files) were outdated.

it'd be nice to have a build of the game + editor for playing/testing maps and stuff.
            Not sure if the editor is in a good shape to run on Linux. It's something they don't put much effort into it but likely want to see it work.

if i get it working i'll post instructions here and a pull request on github with an update to the readme.md
            Do so. It will be helpful.
            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

i'm @ work today, working remotely, i've got the editor up and running, cooking content to see if i can get the game itself (standalone) running.

will update after work tonight if possible.

-edit Engine & game built ue4game throws an error about uncooked content, tried copying over the cooked data - gets further, but still errors out.

I'll have to pick back up on this after the holidays.
              Last edited by davidork; 12-24-2016, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X