Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming in Linux

Hi,

I have a Lenovo laptop with the following specifications.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit)
    Processor - Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz × 4
    RAM - 8 Gb RAM
    Graphic - Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (256 MB memory)

(I know it is not much, but this is all I have got for the time being.)

I would love to get acquinted with the programming component of UE4. I gather that there are some development tools for Linux (https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/un...ne-4-and-linux).

Therefore, I was wondering if it is worth getting a UE4 subscription to browse through the code and get comfortable with it. Also, would it be possible to compile the code in Linux?

Thanks.
    Last edited by The-Cowboy; 07-14-2014, 05:14 AM.

I don't see why not. C++ is C++ everywhere, and you can now compile things natively, without cross-compilation. On the other hand, later on you probably won't be able to run larger maps with it with only integrated graphics, at least until visual settings are implemented.
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

There is a UE4 development environments for Windows and OSX, with the option to cross-compile to linux. The ability to develop directly in Linux seems to be a work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Shragei View Post
        There is a UE4 development environments for Windows and OSX, with the option to cross-compile to linux. The ability to develop directly in Linux seems to be a work in progress.
        It used to be a work in progress, but now native builds reportedly work fine: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Building_On_Linux

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          It used to be a work in progress, but now native builds reportedly work fine: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Building_On_Linux
          Well, kind of The state of the engine on Linux is kind of bleak right now. The binary editor doesn't have Linux build support compiled in, so you basically have to compile the engine from scratch if you want to build for Linux at all. In fact, that's the case for all bu Android, Windows, and iOS right now.

With a ton of effort you can get stuff building, although the Linux target on Windows still seems to be broken in quite a few ways. The onyl reliable way I've found to build for Linux (including for UT) is to use 3dluvr's fork instead.
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
            Well, kind of The state of the engine on Linux is kind of bleak right now. The binary editor doesn't have Linux build support compiled in, so you basically have to compile the engine from scratch if you want to build for Linux at all. In fact, that's the case for all bu Android, Windows, and iOS right now.

With a ton of effort you can get stuff building, although the Linux target on Windows still seems to be broken in quite a few ways. The onyl reliable way I've found to build for Linux (including for UT) is to use 3dluvr's fork instead.
            That's not that bleak. Nobody ever uses binaries on Linux, anyway. Building things from source is standard procedure (in some distributions more than others). Plus the original question was about programming, not the editor, too.

Comment

That's not that bleak. Nobody ever uses binaries on Linux, anyway. Building things from source is standard procedure (in some distributions more than others). Plus the original question was about programming, not the editor, too.
              You can't package a game without the editor, and you couldn't test your code without the editor, either...

It's bleak because editor support is really bad, there are lots of bugs in the editor. It's not terribly usable right now and the fork is better than what is in UE4 (so you can't even get it first party).

The problem with the binary is in Windows. I don't care if you have to compile the editor in Linux.
              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

That used to be how packages were managed back in the 90s and early 2000s. Now a days the major Linux distributions use binary packages, to maintain reliable package dependencies.
                The only semi-major distribution that compiles from code is Gentoo and its derivative, and it is still a hands off from the user's perspective.
                Last edited by Shragei; 07-23-2014, 02:44 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Shragei View Post
                  That used to be how packages were managed back in the 90s and early 2000s. Now a days the major Linux distributions use binary packages, to maintain reliable package dependencies.
                  The only semi-major distribution that compiles from code is Gentoo and its derivative, and it is still a hands off from the user's perspective.
                  Nope, all distributions compile code. It's just not done on the user machines, but on the cloud now. OpenSUSE uses the Open Build Service, others have their own build farms... And if the software is not in the repositories, users are still asked to compile it themselves. Which is exactly the case with UE4.

Comment

Exactly the distributions provide binary packages to the clients. Client systems do not see code, except on Gentoo variants.

Comment

Yeap. But binary packages aren't provided by vendors, like they are in the Windows world. Vendors only provide source code, which then gets compiled on the cloud by each distribution separately, or failing that, on each client that wants it. So the fact that no binary package of UE4 for Linux is in the repositories is not a huge deal.

Comment

That's kind of a stretch. Lots of the package maintainers are the vendors themselves I get what you're saying but there are plenty of people who provide binaries for Linux (particularly in the form of .deb and .rpm packages, if not .run) and UE4 should be no different.

Comment

That's kind of a stretch. Lots of the package maintainers are the vendors themselves I get what you're saying but there are plenty of people who provide binaries for Linux (particularly in the form of .deb and .rpm packages, if not .run) and UE4 should be no different.
                          RPMs would be convenient, sure, but my point is that it's not terrible to have to compile it and many people are already familiar with doing that, unlike on Windows.

Comment

RPMs would be convenient, sure, but my point is that it's not terrible to have to compile it and many people are already familiar with doing that, unlike on Windows.
                            If it was as easy as grabbing the code and running a few commands, I would agree with you

Comment

If it was as easy as grabbing the code and running a few commands, I would agree with you
                              Hence the priority should be to make it compile easier, rather than providing binaries

Comment

Working...
                              X