Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Crash - Build 4.4.0-2255576] Crash after launcher loads the default map

Hi,

Firstly thanks for creating a Linux client build, even if it doesn't for me right now.

---
    RESOLVED

I tried running three Linux Demos of Unreal Engine 4, they all crash the same way with "Failed to compile shader.".

Turns out my graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT, only supports OpenGL 2.1 and not OpenGL 3.2+ as noted in Live Demos Wiki.

This requirement should be noted to other would be testers of Unreal Tournament 4.

---

So when I launch the game, I get a black screen and after the Female Announcer says "5" a crash occurs and the report is generated. I understand that this is after loading the default map, otherwise the Announcer would not utter the countdown. I tried four times with different approaches.

1. Fresh extract with UnrealTournament set as executable:
      Code:
      $ ./UnrealTournament
      unrealtournament.log on pastebin
      Diagnostics.txt on pastebin
      Crash report zipped 1
    2. Launched on a separate X window/server:
      Code:
      $ xinit ./UnrealTournament -- :1.0 vt9
      Crash report zipped 2 xserver
    3. Recursively set file permissions of extracted folder to "774" and launched on a separate X window/server:
      Code:
      $ xinit ./UnrealTournament -- :1.0 vt9
      Crash report zipped 3 xserver
    4. Launched on the same Desktop:
      Code:
      $ ./UnrealTournament
      Crash report zipped 4

Well at least OpenAL works...

Specs:
    Code:
    Operating System - Ubuntu Desktop 14.04.1(LTS) (64bit)
    Graphics card - NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT
    NVIDIA binary driver 340.32
    Last edited by Pendrokar; 08-28-2014, 03:13 PM. Reason: pastebin links, grammar

Your nvidia graphics cards are to old to run ue4, probably its causing the crash.

Comment

Not that old(bought in 2010), I had been able to play Unreal Tournament 3. Ok... maybe just around 30+ FPS, but still.

A Linux client gave me hope that I wouldn't need a DirectX 10+ graphics card.

[Edit1]I'll try launching these demos of UE4 - https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Demos

[Edit2]"Also, you must have an OpenGL 3.2+ capable graphics card to run Unreal Engine 4. OSS drivers do not work well, if at all, get proprietary ones instead."
      "2.1" - http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

already demotivated...

[Edit3] bass3 was right, Swing Ninja, Card Game, Black Jack demo games crash in the same manner. So my graphics card does not meet the requirements to run Unreal Engine 4 applications/games.
      Last edited by Pendrokar; 08-28-2014, 03:15 PM. Reason: checking card compatibility, successfuly failed

Comment

Originally posted by Pendrokar View Post
        Not that old(bought in 2010), I had been able to play Unreal Tournament 3. Ok... maybe just around 30+ FPS, but still.

A Linux client gave me hope that I wouldn't need a DirectX 10+ graphics card.

[Edit1]I'll try launching these demos of UE4 - https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Demos

[Edit2]"Also, you must have an OpenGL 3.2+ capable graphics card to run Unreal Engine 4. OSS drivers do not work well, if at all, get proprietary ones instead."
        "2.1" - http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

already demotivated...

[Edit3] bass3 was right, Swing Ninja, Card Game, Black Jack demo games crash in the same manner. So my graphics card does not meet the requirements to run Unreal Engine 4 applications/games.
        Probably overheating, my suggestion would be to try close applications when running games. Clean the graphics with new termal paste. Or just buy new dx11 graphics card , 9600 series is very old!

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
          Probably overheating, my suggestion would be to try close applications when running games. Clean the graphics with new termal paste.
          No, none of that will help, as this is a hardware-software interaction issue. The performance of the graphics card has nothing to do with the crash.

Comment

Working...
          X