Linux UT4 Perfect Server HowTo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux UT4 Perfect Server HowTo

Hello, I don't have all the time in the world, but I *do* have Linux machines that I can/will install UT4 servers onto. I thought I'd start this thread as a resource for myself and others. If you have successfully installed a UT4 server on a Linux machine and have any useful information for others, please post them here. I will update this post with my experiences and yours as we go. The goal is to end up with a step-by-step, along with any misc. good useful information.

Below I'll add some HowTo's.. please feel free to help improve them by adding ideas / comments.

Unreal Tournament 4 (pre-alpha) - Linux CentOS 7.x - Basic Server Guide (ESXi VPS)
    ------My Test Server: 209.236.238.23
    Last edited by UffDa; 10-05-2014, 05:06 AM. Reason: CentOS 7 pre-alpha added
    -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
    BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

a Good idea, helping others too on linux machines can get more people to play UT4 , unless they only had an option to install windows. lol

Comment

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
      Hello, I don't have all the time in the world, but I *do* have Linux machines that I can/will install UT4 servers onto. I thought I'd start this thread as a resource for myself and others. If you have successfully installed a UT4 server on a Linux machine and have any useful information for others, please post them here. I will update this post with my experiences and yours as we go. The goal is to end up with a step-by-step, along with any misc. good useful information.
      So I hope you are versed on all the different distro's of Linux as all have slight variants with the libs they come with.. I have got ut4server up and running on CentOS 7, I tried with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS but that failed miserably and then I tried CentOS 6.5, but loads of libs were out of date..
      Might be a good idea if your gonna do a thread like this to have sub forums where each distro varies? Dunno how you go about doing that, but think its something to consider.

Comment

@Gazz.. Indeed.. the different distros are the complexity. Great to know that it's running on CentOS7!
        Perhaps if we limit the HowTo's by a couple distro's that are working for people, that would keep it simple to start... such as your success on CentOS7.
        CentOS is as good as place to start as any.
        -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:

Comment

@Gazz.. Indeed.. the different distros are the complexity. Great to know that it's running on CentOS7!
          Perhaps if we limit the HowTo's by a couple distro's that are working for people, that would keep it simple to start... such as your success on CentOS7.
          CentOS is as good as place to start as any.
          What specifically do you want to know? due to linux' nature there isn't a one size fits all..... It's easier to solve the problem one person at a time than it is to outline it in one post right now (changing in UE4.5)

we (utlauncher team) have 35 servers running, across debian wheezy, ubuntu 14.04, centos 6.5, centos7, opensuse, each one required something to be done, some less than others, some things were different like cert locations on debian parent distros, and alot of it was fixed in UE4.5 so I haven't posted any information publicly because it's just going to be littering peoples systems for a temporary measure..

If you're asking for a full guide, when we stop using a modified editor to build linux servers (ie, it's straight forward for both epic and us) is when a detailed guide will go up for the above operating systems -- ie, UE4.5..
          Last edited by raxxy; 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

raxxy, good points. I will continue on with the perfect server guideline however (for limited distros).. but am researching the UE4.5 stuff before installing my server/s and beginning the tutorials.
            -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:

Comment

I got it running on a Gentoo amd64 box. It needed a small handful of libraries around the mid-Sept build (libopus, libvorbis, libogg, I think; came up recently in the Server Administration subforum), but other than that, it seems to work well enough. None of my group is interested in testing the UT4 client, though, and there's no Bots in the build yet, so it's pretty empty on there... Might play like **** with a few clients on, but I don't have any way to tell at this point.

Comment

Apoc, feel free to post your IP.. I play pub servers a small bit most days and could test

Edit: Is your server the NE USA server? If so, I can't get in.. said "Waiting for game to start"
                Last edited by UffDa; 10-01-2014, 02:22 PM.
                -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:

Comment

I've posted my pre-alpha HowTo for the CentOS 7 pre-alpha 10/03. It's basically an extension of Raxxy's post, but the goal is to keep going with it with config.. so please feel free to help with suggestions on how to improve it.
                  -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:

Comment

I've posted my pre-alpha HowTo for the CentOS 7 pre-alpha 10/03. It's basically an extension of Raxxy's post, but the goal is to keep going with it with config.. so please feel free to help with suggestions on how to improve it.
                    You might want to tell them how to install a x windows server client if there doing that on a windows os... i use xming and the amount of times i forget to start it up when im running the server for the first time.... dooh.

Comment

good idea.. putty is a good one as well.
                      -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:

Comment

good idea.. putty is a good one as well.
                        Yeah, when im in windows, putty is my ssh client and i use WinSCP to upload to server, kinda like filezilla, but you can edit files serverside.

Comment

The CentOS 7.x pre-alpha HowTo has been updated with the basics on creating a map rotation and start-up script, as well as some other details.
                          -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:

Comment

The CentOS 7.x pre-alpha HowTo has been updated with the basics on creating a map rotation and start-up script, as well as some other details.
                            On the start up, I cd right into directory with UE4Server in it and run this command

For TDM
                            Code:
                            screen ./UE4Server ../../../UnrealTournament/UnrealTournament.uproject DM-DeckTest?Game=TDM?TimeLimit=15?GoalScore=100 disown &
                            For CTF
                            Code:
                            screen ./UE4Server ../../../UnrealTournament/UnrealTournament.uproject CTF-FaceTest?Game=CTF?TimeLimit=20?GoalScore=10000 disown &
                            Not to sure about goalscore for CTF cause server always dies after WIP DAM seeing as theres only 2 maps just now?
                            Last edited by Gazzabwoy; 10-06-2014, 04:13 AM.

Comment

great initiative Uff-Da, will come in handy for the majority of Linux users !

Can i ask you for your server specs?
                              Grtz
                              BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                              DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Working...
                              X