Metal support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Metal is the name of Apple relatively new graphic API for MacOS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)
    Even if it is a bit more complicated than this, you can see it as an equivalent for DirectX for Windows. So as video cards are not all supporting latest DirectX version, there are cards not supporting last Metal version.
    Is that answering your question?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    what is a metal card?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have a 2014 windows laptop... the game runs just fine... then I downloaded it on Mac... every requirement aquired... but still won't work....... AAGAGGHHJJJJJ

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, it does.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So does it have some sort of Metal support already? I'm not a developer, but I know enough to say that I can run UT at high settings at 144p on my Windows partition, but that it's largely unplayable on OSX. Running the latest version of OSX.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by hbhakta View Post
    Hi,
    I just installed this on my iMac late 2011 which has Mac OS 10.12+ and ATI Radeon 6970 graphics card. When i launch the game it says need metal compatible graphics card. So then checked metal compatible mac on apple website and my mac was not on the list as iMac late 2012 and onwards are supported. Does this mean that i won't be able to play this game at all or is this just game settings in backend? Can somebody give insight into this issue?

Error:

OpenGL not supported
    You must have a Metal compatible graphics card and be running Mac OS X 10.11.4 or later to launch this process.
    I think you can't play, but maybe there is a way to force opengl...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,
    I just installed this on my iMac late 2011 which has Mac OS 10.12+ and ATI Radeon 6970 graphics card. When i launch the game it says need metal compatible graphics card. So then checked metal compatible mac on apple website and my mac was not on the list as iMac late 2012 and onwards are supported. Does this mean that i won't be able to play this game at all or is this just game settings in backend? Can somebody give insight into this issue?

Error:

OpenGL not supported
    You must have a Metal compatible graphics card and be running Mac OS X 10.11.4 or later to launch this process.
    Last edited by hbhakta; 02-11-2017, 10:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    frigjord - I'm no developer but I can tell that the game has some deep rooted issues on mac, it almost feels like playing in vmware

I'm looking forward to having a better mac version and yeah, eventually seeing how far it can go with metal.

At the moment Apple and Epic are both just big teasers
    Last edited by the_hack; 03-14-2017, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Excluding the constant crashes and missing textures, effects and distortions - it runs very slow even on a GTX 970 OC on El Capitan.

It's actually the worst performing game of my 40+ Mac Steam games.

I bet that if it could run better using Metal on OS X, Apple would make a big thing of it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes please! my nvidia 750m runs the game just fine on Windows 10 but on osx it is unplayable.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd like to jump in here, too, to bring additional attention to this. I'd really like to see how Metal affects the framerate.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have come to ask the same. Can someone compile a version with UE 4.8 with Metal flag switched? All that is required. We can then test in OS X 10.11.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Metal support

Metal support

When can we expect Metal support? The current OpenGL renderer is too slow to be usable.
Working...
X