Mac version is badly optimized.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac version is badly optimized.

I am happy that Epic decided to develop UT 4 for the Mac, but the current build is very bad optimized.

at the current network version (3008004)
    - Loading the server list needs more then 1 minute.
    - The game crashes often (under windows i didn't experience any crashes)
    - The frame rate is unplayable (even at the lowest settings)

My system:
    OS X 10.9.4
    CPU: i7 - 3770
    GPU: GTX 680

Ram: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Same Here with my experience (net ver3008004) i was receiving an average of 10FPS and I was unable to get the server browser to work. I was able to join a server via direct IP Address. As much as I lowered the settings to their lowest still no FPS improvment. For me the current build is unplayable for the MAC. I did notice an FPS increase initially when I joined the match but as i moved about the map for more seconds my averaging FPS of 17-21FPS would drop back to an average of 10FPS. I would say the most intensive issues were lighting within the environment which dropped my FPS at most (However i am not sure .

"Try Turning the safety off!"
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...ex-d31h09y.png

Comment

I have been having problems with the Editor, in the past half hour it has crashed 3 times for me (once at start up, once when importing a map, and once when building the map after inserting a NavMeshBounds volume). Do you think running it in my Windows 8.1 duel boot would relieve these issues?

Comment

Any plans for a Mac update? Experiencing crashes often. Not sure how to find crash log on mac, but it doesn't bring up a window when crashing.

Comment

Agreed. Mac performance needs work! Metal support?

Comment

UT in the Mac is pretty Slow and unoptimized. Windows in the Same machine with patallels makes it playable :/

Comment

I was SO psyched to get into the alpha on mac. But it simply doesn't work. The monitor settings are all f'ed up (horrible resolution, only half screen shown), the mouse focus is not tracking correctly (can't really click on anything), and it otherwise runs like I'm using half of one of my eight cores (i.e. slow, unresponsive, etc).

OSX 10.10.5 2.66GHz 8-core here. Sad panda.

Comment

Yeah, any mac update soon? It's 100% unplayable as it is.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
                Last edited by effects69; 03-14-2016, 06:33 PM.
                Win 10
                3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:
                DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

I wish you guys could hear me screaming at my mac.

iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015
                  4 GHz Intel Core i7 (Skylake)
                  32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
                  AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

I can kinda play it...

Comment

I have the 3.6 GHZ version and it is the same, barely playable. I returned to it today after a year but I see the problem persists. Is there any way of running the Win version under Wineskin or something?

Comment

I can't even start the launcher. Every time I open it, it downloads, crashes, reopens, and repeats. (I'm on Mac)

Comment

This issue really does need to be addressed. Not just in UT, but with Unreal Engine 4 in general. Mac performance is atrocious, even on top-of-the-line Mac Pros. It is immensely obvious that the issue is with the port and not the machine when:
                        1. A 2009 MacBook pro running on a Core2 Duo processor has the exact same (unplayable) framerate as an 6-core Xenon E5 Mac Pro.
                        2. The same machine running the Windows version performs a massive amount better than the Mac port.

Please, Epic, fix the mac port. Use Metal, make the Mac version have really low-poly models, whatever you need to do, just fix it. Please.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Any update on getting the game and editor to run well on Mac's?
                          Win 10
                          3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                          32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:
                          DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                          2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Apparantly the new macOS 10.13 High Sierra will have better Unreal Engine support.

Comment

I wonder what an upgraded 2006 Pro can do.. I've stuck in a 3GB Radeon HD 7950 and swapped the dual cores for dual quads and El Capitan.

Comment

Working...
                              X